The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Altered Ego

Question regarding vibratory style case cleaners

While in pursuit of collecting the proper re-loading equipment, a question came to mind...Would using an "automotive" type of vibratory tumbler such as http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...roductID=10971 work for brass case cleaning, provided the proper media was used, or are these style vibratory cleaners too aggressive for brass clean-up? The reason I ask is the fact that I already own one the the "automotive" style tumblers. Anyone have any practical experience with this?
Old December 26, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
BigJimP

I've never tried one - but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine / like you said, with the right media.

Since you already have one / put a few hundred cases in it and try it with some crushed walnut media.
Old December 26, 2008, 06:35 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Chances are it should work better as it's designed to handle heavier parts than case's.
Old December 26, 2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Altered Ego

Thanks for the responses...I'll give it a try. How much time does it typically take to clean brass with walnut shell or corn cob media in a tumbler and is there a preference???
Old December 26, 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
PCJim

Altered, Two hours should be ample with fresh media. If you want to add a little brightness to the cases, splash a teaspoon or so of unscented mineral spirits to the media. Others add NuFinish automotive polish, probably about the same amount but cut with some ispopropyl alcohol to allow a better distribution. If you are going to add either of these, add it and let the tumbler run for about 10 minutes to distribute the additive before adding brass. Do not use Brasso as it contains ammonia.

As to which media, walnut is considered to be a bit more abrasive while corn cob is supposed to be a better polisher. Before I began using the mineral spirits, I tumbled first with walnut and finished off with corn cob. No more - it's walnut with mineral spirits.
Old December 26, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
mactex

I have one like that from Harbor Freight and have not had any problems with it cleaning the cases. I use corncob media and some polish. Like PCJim said, after putting in the polish let the unit run for a few minutes before putting any brass in.