The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
publius

Utah

I am considering moving to Utah and was checking out the hunting and fishing opportunities last night. The fishing looks unbelievable but the length of the hunting seasons appear to be well....crappy. If I read right gun season for deer lasts like 2 weeks and blackpowder and bow season aren't much better. Am I reading right, this a shock to an ol Mississippi boy who has alyays had a 3-4 month season bow&gun. You utah guys let me know. Thanks. Publius
Old November 6, 2008, 08:56 PM   #2
bclark1

A lot of the country's like that. Bow's usually longer, but muzzleloader and centerfire seasons are usually about a week where I've been.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
elkman06

Utah..well not so good

While I don't hunt Utah,,just by the number of Utah hunters who are invading Wyoming, I would say their hunting seasons and license availability must suck.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old November 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4
davlandrum

Sounds like Oregon. You guys with the long seasons and liberal bag limits don't know how good you have it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

davlandrum, TEE-RUST ME... I know good I have it here in Florida.
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
davlandrum

Brent - and the smallest bass I caught in Florida was bigger than any bass I have ever caught in Oregon...

May have to retire there....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2008, 08:25 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Utah's Big Game....

Pros:
Plenty of public land to hunt.
Plenty of nice animals.
A variety of species.
Archery and Muzzleloader hunts are prior to rifle hunts, as they should be. (Except for Elk.)
Most Archery, Muzzleloader, and some general Rifle season tags are still available over the counter.
Many of the Buck Antelope in the state are trophy-quality.
If you archery hunt, and buy the right tag; you can potentially hunt from August until early January for Deer and Elk.

Cons:
Within the next 4 years, most big game seasons will probably be reduced to 3 or 5 day hunts. (Doesn't that make you happy...)
You'll have to wait 12-14 years to draw a tag for those trophy Antelope.
Rifle season tags available over the counter are typically restricted to crappy areas, or 'Spike Only' (for Elk) bulls.
All antlerless tags must be drawn for, and the units are very small, compared to buck/bull units.
Most of the good areas to hunt are becoming limited entry, or premium limited entry units. (Read that as 3-10 year wait for the average unit. 10-14 for good units.)
CWMUs (Management Units) are over running the state. The forest service is even allowing lease lands to become CWMUs now, so previously accessible public land is being closed to allow these rich **people** to profit even more from hunting.
If you draw a Bull Elk tag in any unit, you start a 5 year waiting period before you can apply again.

Honestly....
My family does still hunt Utah, but we are starting to look for good opportunities in neighboring states. Since before I was born, we have been hunting Antelope in Wyoming, and will continue to do so. We have good knowledge of southern Idaho, but their seasons and drawings are just as messed up. (Although the animals actually exist there.)
We have slowly been losing interest in Utah's big game. Between the drawings, wait periods, CWMUs popping up, and public areas just being closed to hunting.... don't plan on enjoying big game much.

Where Utah shines is the amount of BLM land (not quite as good as Wyoming). No matter where you are in the state, you are no more than 40 minutes from freedom. Few restrictions on travel, almost no restrictions on shooting, almost always open to hunting, and plenty of varmints.
Go where you want (as long as there's a road), do what you want, and probably not see another person all day... what more can you ask for?

As for birds... you'll have to wait for some one else to chime in.