The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2002, 03:03 PM   #1
norielX

Found some Shell Holders at a show...

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a gun show, looking through a dealer's $1 box, when lo and behold, by brother and I see some shell holders that look pretty similar to the holders made by Choate. These were called "Shell-out's" and are made of ABS plastic. I bought all that they had, because, hey, 10 bucks for 10 holders is pretty darn good. These Shell-outs hold 5-6, 2 3/4" or 3" shells, depending on if you align the shells the same way, or with the brass in alternating sides.
My gripes with these holders are, they can crack easily if you overload them by putting 6 shells
in, all facing the same way. These are two piece units, glued together. I haven't used the Choate holders, so I don't know how they compare to these. I'll try and post a pic of these if anyone's interested. I don't think they make these holders any more, but if you run into them at the gun show or wherever, know that they're not all that bad (for range use) if you can get them really cheap, like I did. BTW, does any one know of a glue I should use to glue ABS plastic together?
Old May 28, 2002, 09:58 PM   #2
yankytrash

To hold up under recoil conditions, make sure to use 2-part epoxy. I used it on a Fobus Roto holster that I modified into a speed holster, and it's held up very well thus far. It seemed to have fused the plastic together.

BTW - make sure the epoxy's suitable for exterior use.