The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 15, 2017, 08:52 AM   #1
ATN082268

Loss of a FFL

There is a local gun store that lost its FFL although it still remains open for range time, ammunition, accessories, etc. What does a store typically lose its FFL for and how long does it usually last (as far as getting it back or reapplying)? Thank you.
Old November 15, 2017, 09:02 AM   #2
zukiphile

Could be something as innocent as forgetting to get the renewal in on time. Could be a problem with the applicant aside from license related behavior. Could be real misconduct.

One FFL with a range I represented had an grossly incomplete log book and generally incomplete records. His people pieced matters together as well as they could during the audit. The ATF auditors were very reasonable and easy to work with, and never suspended the license.

We've all read the BATF horror stories, but my small personal experience is that the people in the field offices are courteous and reasonable people.
Old November 15, 2017, 09:11 AM   #3
FITASC

Could be the actual licensee retired and the new owner/manager didn't get it changed over.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2017, 11:56 AM   #4
natman

Hard to tell from the evidence provided. It could be (and probably is) some administrative issue such as a failure to renew soon enough or it could be the result of some long term failure to comply with procedures that led to the license being pulled.
Old November 15, 2017, 01:12 PM   #5
carguychris

Bottom line:

There is no nominally "standard" or "normal" suspension or license-loss period.

It varies on a case-by-case basis and depends it on why the FFL lost their license, and without additional case-specific information, all we can do is speculate.

I think this pretty much wraps up the question.
Old November 15, 2017, 01:19 PM   #6
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
Bottom line:

There is no nominally "standard" or "normal" suspension or license-loss period.

It varies on a case-by-case basis and depends it on why the FFL lost their license, and without additional case-specific information, all we can do is speculate.

I think that pretty much wraps up this question.

What I heard is the gun shop bought and sold a stolen handgun. I don't know if that is true or not and/or if they also had other violations that I am not aware of. I didn't want to be a world class jackass and ask the owner about it because, regardless of the circumstances, it was a big blow to his income. I don't condone criminal activity but I don't know for sure what happened.
Old November 15, 2017, 02:49 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

All of the above are good answers, from what I've seen.

The most common reasons that I've seen are:
1. Failure to renew.
2. A delay in issuing a license to the new owner/operator during a transfer/sale of the business.

The "worst" case of the above that I have seen was a shop that was sold to an employee, with the final transfer of ownership taking place on a firmly-set date one week after the estimated approval of the new owner's FFL. ...But said new owner screwed up the application, and it took quite some time to refile and get approved. The store operated without their own FFL for almost a year. They stayed afloat by pushing the indoor range business, maximizing bulk ammo sales, and partnering with a competing business for a limited number of transfers.
Old November 15, 2017, 10:12 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
ATN082268 Quote: What I heard is the gun shop bought and sold a stolen handgun....
I highly doubt that was the reason.
First, an FFL has no way to determine if a firearm that he buys has ever been reported stolen. No national database exists for licensees to check. The NCIC is strictly restricted to LE on official business.

Second, If the dealer knowingly bought and sold a stolen gun he would be facing state charges for that crime. Losing his FFL would be the least of his worries. And its doubtful ATF would even care as long as the dealer has complied with the recordkeeping requirements of Federal law.

Why not just ask the dealer why their FFL isn't current?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE