The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2017, 10:28 AM   #1
Elliottsdad

Best full size polymer striker-fire for HD

OK, this thread isn't "which one should I buy," but more just out of curiosity. 10 or so years ago there was only a handful of options; now they are seemingly endless. I saw the Beretta APX, the FN, and the CZ P10 while poking around the net last night, and that got me thinking "man, everyone's making these now." I don't know of too many companies (Les Baer, Kimber?) that haven't entered the polymer fray.

If you were to buy one today, a full-size one, which would it be and why? Mind you, this includes the constants: Glock, M&P, Springers, Sigs, etc., but also the ones we're not constantly reading about. There are dozens and dozens of great options these days, and I know not everyone is a Glock guy like me.

With that I'll go first. I'd have to go with a Glock 17 (any gen). Only because I'm very familiar with the action/grip due to my EDC, and my others have never let me down. I'd think long and hard about an M&P 2.0 because I think there's a little more built-in value, but honestly I'd probably stick with a full size Glock. I also really like the Beretta APX, but would be wary that it hasn't had time to prove its long-term reliability yet. Otherwise, that's pistol seems pretty sweet, too.

What say you? Which would you get for a full size bump in the night pistol?
Old October 27, 2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Areoflyer09

Walther PPQ Navy

Easy choice on this one as there are only two polymer striker pistols in the house and they are both PPQs. Wife has a basic PPQ and I have a Navy. Just haven’t found another polymer striker that checks the boxes enough to get me to purchase and keep it.

As to why the PPQ: ergonomics & trigger

Lots of great options out there though.
Old October 27, 2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Jacket67

For me, it would be the m&p 2.0 in this category. I have a shield, so I'd like to stick with a company I know and ergos that I am familiar with.

Branching outside striker-fired, however, I've been looking hard at a CZ P09. My next purchase is currently between that and the full size 2.0.

But to stick with answering your question, m&p for me because of familiarity and I really like the new additions to the 2.0. Glock is great, and so are pretty much all of the others, I just prefer m&p.
Old October 27, 2017, 11:17 AM   #4
sigarms228

I don't know how one could be determined overall best for everyone. Maybe best for an individual or "favorite".

My choices are the Walther PPQ 9MM and HK VP9 that I already own. I shoot both very well and mine have been 100 percent reliable and durable and seem to have built a reputation for excellent reliability and durability. Both fit me well as far as hand/fingers including reach to the trigger, are very accurate, and have excellent triggers.

IF I was going to buy another full size poly, it would most likely be a Gen 5 Glock 17 or the M&P 2.0 4.25 with safety but I would prefer the M&P 2.0 Compact over the larger size.
Old October 27, 2017, 12:10 PM   #5
SonOfScubaDiver

40 cal M&P 2.0 loaded with HST
Old October 27, 2017, 02:14 PM   #6
TailGator

If I were to buy a pistol whose only duty was HD, I am not at all certain I would go with polymer. To me, the primary advantage of polymer is the light weight for carry. If it isn't on my belt, the light weight turns into a negative in recoil management.

With that caveat, I would want to look closely at the Beretta APX.
Old October 27, 2017, 02:35 PM   #7
pblanc

The one you can shoot the best, obviously.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:05 PM   #8
jr24

What you said, Glock 17.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Maverick36

H&K VP9,
Great quality right out of the box, no need to spend money on upgrades.
Old October 27, 2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Worc

Steyr L-A1, Walther PPQ 5", and Sig 320 FS would be my top picks. Great triggers, accuracy, quality, reliability, and ergonomics would be the reasons. The HK VP would be a good choice and has the same assets as the above but, is a little shorter.
Old October 27, 2017, 06:48 PM   #11
jimjc

I, in the last couple months or so I purchased a CZ P10c, Sig P320, CZ P01, CZ P07, Canik TP9 SFX.

T he Sig P320 is by far the most versatile of the bunch. With one gun and a few other parts I have a full size range gun, a compact and a sub compact plus i change the colors of the frames for a different look.the changeover to different size guns take about 1 min.
Old October 27, 2017, 07:17 PM   #12
amd6547

My change over from full size Glock 17 to compact Glock 26 takes seconds.
Old October 27, 2017, 07:20 PM   #13
Troy800

Walther PPQ and Sig 320 are my picks
Old October 27, 2017, 08:02 PM   #14
mr bolo

If I had to pick just one probably a Gen 4 or Gen 5 GLOCK 17 if it's available in your state
Old October 28, 2017, 06:43 AM   #15
Ibmikey

The pistol that fits you best , you can shoot best and is easiest to put into operation in an emergency. You are the only one who can make that decision.
Old October 28, 2017, 06:51 AM   #16
Skadoosh

Forget polymer striker pistols. Get a P226. When the cops show up, they will at least know right off the bat that you're not some schmoe that doesnt know what he's doin'.
Old October 28, 2017, 10:39 AM   #17
COSteve

Hands down, a full sized Glock G40. The 6" barrel and slide make the 10mm full power loads much more manageable and the balance is perfect. Further, you can shoot 40s&w through it as well and if you handload, the sky is the limit! Shooting a 10mm allows one to shoot lower power 40s&w loads, full power 40s&w loads, or step up to the full 10mm power. And, with bullet weights ranging from 155grns all the way up to 220grn, in solid, HP, and hardcast one can find the perfect bullet / velocity combination for anything.

The Glock 40's 6" barrel and slide gives the performance the added boost of 1.4" more barrel length, and the 4+ oz additional weight of the longer slide and barrel tames even the most powerful 10mm loads so muzzle rise is minimal and balance for longer range shooting is great. I have shot steel plates at 200 yds with my G40 configuration.

While I don't own a G40, I have the pistol they copied it from. You see, I developed the first 6" slide Glock 10mm back in 2004, my custom G20/21L. I started with a custom steel German slide developed for the G21 and added a blued 6" Jarvis 45acp barrel. Later that year, after testing out my idea, I asked Kevin at KKM Precision to make me a SS 45-10MM conversion barrel for it, refined the setup and the rest is history. The world's 1st 6" Glock 45/10mm, my G20/21L, back in late 2004:

Over the years I upgraded it to use for competition and field use, developing 10mm 165grn loads up to 1,589fps and 18grn loads to 1,479fps. I've worked with JR of Lone Wolf Dist on his SS longslide designs and even met with him at his business on a trip my wife and I took back in 2007.

Later, I also started to shoot 45 Super from it and so far have produced 230grn loads up to 1,305fps. In truth, I shoot 90% 10mm from it as I find the 10mm a more capable caliber overall. I've hardchromed the slide, added a magwell, added a new FO front sight, and tuned the internals and given it a great trigger. Overall, it's a great piece and one I'll never tire of or trade. Shown here as the 10mm G20L.

Old October 28, 2017, 04:15 PM   #18
arquebus357

Ruger American. Except that it's a bit heavy for backpacking. Oh,wait, I don't do that.

Last edited by arquebus357; October 28, 2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old October 28, 2017, 05:43 PM   #19
ritepath

Well I don't really have any use for a full sized striker gun for HD. But since you're insisting on something then I'd say a G20 SF since I've been needing a 10mm. I really liked my old G20 but at the time I didn't reload.

But in reality I don't see my CZ p-09 ever being displaced as my #1 HD pistol.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:24 PM   #20
O4L

My next full size striker will be the 5" M&P 2.0 in 9mm.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:29 PM   #21
ifithitu

S&W 40VE,Glock17,Ruger 9E,my choices because I own all three.
Old October 29, 2017, 07:24 AM   #22
OhioGuy

There really is no answer to this question. There are probably a dozen high quality firearms that are nearly identical in form and function, will last forever and are priced about the same. They all blow holes in things. Under the stress of something like a home invasion you probably won't be noticing the subtle differences between a Walther or a Ruger trigger. Whatever fits your hand and "feels right" is the right answer. That's the one you'll most enjoy and will practice with most. A Beretta doesn't stop a burglar any better or worse than a Glock or CZ.

Do you already have a home security system? Another bit of advice I was given was to install small cameras around the hme that can be monitored from your bedroom (or anywhere from a smartphone or tablet). Then the "bump in the night" can be investigated without having to go downstairs with a gun.

Not changing the topic, but I've seen many discussions of "which gun" happen when larger questions about home security hadn't been asked yet. Not saying that YOU or anyone else here hasn't answered them, I'm just bringing it up.

Incidentally I was just at the range this week asking a similar question and trying five different striker guns. The Walther PPQ fit my hand best. I shot the best groups with the M&P 2.0. I didn't do badly with any of them. I did better beyond 40' with all of them than I did with the subcompact I already have. I didn't do as well with any as I can do with my Walther Q5 (including the normal PPQ...was it the extra 1" sight radius? The better sights? Or coincidence that particular day?) In the end I shot them all well enough (at a range, without stress, in bright lighting) to stop a burglar.

On the recommendation of the guy at the rental desk I tried the CZ P09. Man that's a HUGE gun. I hardly ever shoot DA guns. But I ran that one better than any striker and I think I heard angels sing. Im now looking into the P07 for a more compact option...

Anyways, any gun will do the job. Whatever "feels right" to you is the right answer.

PS. I am becoming more persuaded that a heavy first trigger pull is in fact a good thing in a HD gun. It's a far more likely scenario for moving towards potential danger with gun already drawn, and plenty of research indicates that even highly trained people get their fingers on the trigger under the stresses of these situations. A DA trigger gives tactile feedback if you begin to touch it. A PPQ trigger gives audible feedback!
Old October 29, 2017, 07:27 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

I agree with OhioGuy in that there are LOTS of good full-sized striker-fired guns that would fill the bill. With that said, if I were in the market for one, I'd be looking long and hard at the M&P 2.0 in .45 ..... and the G21 .... and something from CZ .... and the Ruger American . . . sooooo many choices.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:04 PM   #24
vba

I'll say the Glock 21 and Glock 17. Never had any malfunctions with either one and have put many thousands of rounds through each of them.
Old October 29, 2017, 05:10 PM   #25
amd6547

There are lots of used, police surplus G22’s around near the $300 mark.