The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Terminology.......

When did handguns get to be "platforms?"

Is this yuppiespeak?

Bob Wright
Old September 20, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Jo6pak

My thoughts exaclty. The "platform" thing has gotten to be just silly.

Along with auto pistols having "uppers"
Old September 20, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
nathanrw

With all the accessories available for different purposes and with caliber conversions many guns could be considered a "platform" that could be built off of. Just think of all the different variations of the 1911.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
KyJim

I think it's from all those military oriented shows on TV. The F-117 is not a jet, it's a weapons platform from which to launch various ordinance. A Humvee is a weapons platform to launch grenades or fire machine guns. But, a gun is not a weapons platform, it is the weapon.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

If you were a low speed, high drag operator like me you wouldn't need to ask these questions.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The first use I heard of the term was in the auto industry, where the basic frame was and is called the platform. So a platform can be used for a four door sedan, a convertible, a pickup truck, a delivery van, etc. The car magazines picked up the term, and it spread from there.

It means any base or basic item to which parts and accessories can be added to produce different versions.

Jim
Old September 20, 2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Noreaster

It reflects the style of pistol, not it's intended use. For example you can run an IDPA course with a 1911 platform or striker fired pistol such as a Glock. A combat pistol could be any platform you choose, (my S&W M19 for example.)
Old September 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #8

Seems like the term came into vogue 'bout 5 or 6 years ago. I've never seen the point- just semantic gymnastics if you ask me- I call 'em all (semiautos & revolvers) guns and no one gets confused.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:15 PM   #9
FloridaVeteran

Noreaster - begs the question, why don't folks just call it "1911-style" or "1911-type?"

I'm with Bob and other old fart colleagues - seems more like a marketing gimmick than anything else. Taking advantage of deconstruction of the English language, in a way. If I quit a job, it might have "affected" the company's operations. But back then, it didn't "impact" the operations. "Impact" was what happened when the howitzer round landed. Don't recall when "impact" became a verb, but I'd guess it wasn't one in the Webster's dictionary of 1955.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:28 PM   #10
FloridaVeteran

481 - how difficult or complicated is the math in that book you like? It is $4 in Kindle format, but there are no reviews.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Winchester_73

I've used platform in place of "handgun". Not sure why I did when I think about it. I say pistol so much more than handgun, I probably didn't think to say "handgun"
Old September 20, 2012, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVeteran:
481 - how difficult or complicated is the math in that book you like? It is $4 in Kindle format, but there are no reviews.
Not too bad.

Nothing more than a little algebra at worst (you can skip it if you want and still use the model) and there is a chapter full of really clear examples that'll show you how to use the model if that is what you're after.

The author does a good job of breaking it down "bubba style" step-by-step for those of us at the back of the classroom who are prone to throwing spit-balls.

I got mine off Barnes & Noble for a bit less than that- like 3 1/2 bucks. There were also some reviews there, IIRC.

Old September 21, 2012, 12:12 AM   #13
FloridaVeteran

481 - thanks. For $4, I'll buy it and try it. LOL re spitballs - when did that term go out? Sounds like you might be an old fart like some of us, or else spitballs lasted a lot longer than I'd have guessed. These days, our peashooters of old might be classified as dangerous weapons.

I'm assuming that you can't download and read a Barnes & Noble e-book on a Kindle, not that I care a whole lot about 50 cents.

Last edited by FloridaVeteran; September 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added second paragraph
Old September 21, 2012, 05:02 AM   #14
qwiksdraw

I don't like the use of the word "platform", it would seem to be much more appropriate to use the word "format"!

Old September 21, 2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Bailey Boat

"platform" is almost as stupid as "tactical"...... Seems everything except underwear has become "tactical".......
Old September 21, 2012, 06:25 AM   #16
Noreaster

FloridaVeteran

Because you can't "RUN" a style or type, it just doesn't sound tacticool.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVeteran:
thanks. For $4, I'll buy it and try it. LOL re spitballs - when did that term go out? Sounds like you might be an old fart like some of us, or else spitballs lasted a lot longer than I'd have guessed. These days, our peashooters of old might be classified as dangerous weapons.

I'm assuming that you can't download and read a Barnes & Noble e-book on a Kindle, not that I care a whole lot about 50 cents.

Sure, you are welcome.

Not sure about the compatability of the various ebook formats- that's a good question.

As to the "spitball" reference, yeah, I am kinda old and kinda smelly- guess I qualify as an ol' fart- the ones (spitballs/peashooters) we had would give today's educator's a case of the vapors- we knew how to make 'em sting and vengeance was a fickle mistress.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:13 AM   #18
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I don't know.

Quote:
Is this yuppiespeak?
I don't think so. I think it's just plain wrong.

Originally, platforms were things to stand on, walk on, put things on, mount things on, and so forth.

"Weapons platforms" were and are things used to mount weapons on. This usage goes back a while.

Some decades ago, the term "platform" was adopted to define a computer software and hardware architecture.

On a related subject, one can now acquire software systems known as trading platforms to facilitate the buying and selling of stocks and bonds.

I could see how someone might call an M-16 on which a rocket grenade launcher was mounted a "platform".

But a 1911 "platform"?--no, not for me.

I wonder how many yuppies have 1911 pistols....
Old September 21, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
KMAX

Platform? Get off my 1911!

I have used the word before on this forum and now that I think about it, boy do I feel silly. I think all too often people use a word or phrase to sound knowledgable but when you think about what they said it is wrong or just silly. One thing that bothers me is when people make up words or shorten them or throw in slash between two words such as "this slash that". The English language just ain't what it usta be! I often think people just talk to hear themselves rather than actually say anything, much as I am doing now.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 21, 2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd say right around the time when they started giving them attachment points for tons of BOPOS...*

* Bolt On Pieces of Schmit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:16 AM   #21
TailGator

I understand the term in a similar manner as Noreaster - a style of gun with the same controls, trigger type, etc. To take a ubiquitous example, all Glocks have the same controls in the same location regardless of caliber or frame size.

But Mr. Irwin's response was way funnier.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:23 AM   #22
aarondhgraham

Hello Bailey Boat,,,

Quote:
Seems everything except underwear has become "tactical".......
Guess again my friend,,,

Tactical Underwear,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 21, 2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Salmoneye

Pretty sure I have never fired a "Platform"...
Old September 21, 2012, 10:47 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

How do you know when the "attachment craze" has literally become crazy?

When the guy you're training with yells

"Keep your $*(^()&$()*&^ gun level or you'll spill the oil out of the deep fryer!"

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:47 PM   #25
jborushko

when paramilitary shows came out.... like the guy that whispers super loud....

blah blah blah i like this 'platform' blah blah blah

ugh...like "tactical" like

lmao... tactical underwear... sigh....