The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 21, 2011, 08:55 AM   #26
Willie Lowman

Quote:
How do you feel when you CC?
like God must feel when he's holding a gun.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:59 AM   #27
Maxem0815

Well that brings me back I got my Carry Permit back in 1974 and have been carrying a gun ever since. But the first week I was a bit concerned about the concealment factor. My how things have changed 1974 my permit was only the 75th to be issued.
Mace
Old August 21, 2011, 03:59 PM   #28
BUFF

This reminds me of the scene in "Get Shorty" when the drug dealer goes to the airport to get his stash and sees lumps under everyone's clothes including the little kid.

I'm a little self concious when I carry too. "Does everyone know?" I imagine it's something you have to get used to. You must have gotten your CCL because you felt the need. Does that need still outweigh your fears? Then power through it.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:12 PM   #29
checkmyswag

hivoltagefx4

couldn't you just park far enough away from the school to be legal and lock up your gun in your car?
Old August 21, 2011, 04:31 PM   #30
hivoltagefx4

To checkmyswag, Yes I could do that I suppose. I need to look into a nice lock box that I can put in my center console of my F-150. I'd feel safer than just leaving it in my glove box or under the seat.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:42 PM   #31
aarondhgraham

Hello hivoltagefx4,,,

I ordered one of these cases from Cabela's,,,
It's cable wraps around the seat legs in my pick-up truck.

It is also very slim so it fits under my seat very nicely,,,
I bought the key version but they make a combination version as well.

Click here please,,,

This might be what you are looking for.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 21, 2011, 04:45 PM   #32
WESHOOT2

since 1976

I got used to it.
Now it's like wearing my galsses; just part of me.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:48 PM   #33
wncchester

"A little lopsided."

Ditto.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:51 PM   #34
SteelChickenShooter

Nervous about carrying?

Sounds like a good candidate to opt out.
How do I feel when carrying?
I feel like I am better prepared than offenders might think and I feel like I could very well handle a hard situation rather than being a helpless victim.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:33 PM   #35
Chris84

Carrying concealed bothers me none I carried open for years before going concealed mostly for my job. Pretty much every where I go either a M92fs or a 5.5 inch barrled 357 mag. People would stare and look and all but I do not care it is my right and I enjoy exercing my rights.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:38 PM   #36
longlane

Prepared.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:01 PM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

It depends on how I am dressed, and what I am carrying at the I have carried since shortly after my 21st birthday nearly 14 years ago. Until last year it was a bit lop sided carrying a full sized .45 ACP. Then I bought a P-64 9mm Mak. I started pocket carrying it, after familiarizing myself with it to the point that it was like an old friend in my hand. Then I traded for an ugly home cammo job Glock 26 9mm. Now I do not feel so lop sided. Also a lot cooler in the 109 degree heat with humdity at pea soup level.

At first I though people that knew me might think something when I all of a sudden started wearing my shirt untucked. I got over that quickly.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:43 PM   #38
MikeNice81

I am use to wearing a radio on my strong side at work. So, I am use to the lopsided feeling. It doesn't feel that weird to me. I don't have the strong side swing or shuffle.

I do feel a little raw if I don't wear an undershirt. The CZ P-07 has agressive grip texturing similar to skateboard grip tape. So, after a few hours it rubs a red patch on my side. I've taken to wearing undershirts tucked in. So, I guess you could say carrying makes me a little warmer than usual.

I was nervous at first that I would get spotted or show. A good IWB holster solved that problem. I can carry a "compact" CZ with out the slightest print with a good IWB. It didn't even require going up a size in shirts. After about three or four days I started feeling like it was normal as pie.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:48 PM   #39
Kimbertron

At first i had trouble with finding a comfortable carry method, I learned that once i found a holster that felt comfortable it didn't remind me i was carrying every time i moved i thought about it less.

Quote:
I ordered one of these cases from Cabela's,,,
It's cable wraps around the seat legs in my pick-up truck.
that looks pretty nice i might have to get one of these for when i have to leave my carry gun in the car. I never feel comfortable leaving it in the glove box when im at a bar or somewhere else that i cant carry.
Old August 21, 2011, 10:03 PM   #40
Cheapshooter

At first you may feel like you stick out like a sore thumb, but you don't. Unless someone knows, and pays attention to exactly what to look for they don't have any idea you are carrying. Any halfway decent CC or pocket holster does a good enough job of concealment that the average Joe doesn't have a clue what's in your pants!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 21, 2011, 11:04 PM   #41
troy_mclure

Quote:
How do you feel when you don't?

Yep, feels downright odd to be unarmed. I avoid it.
+1
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 22, 2011, 02:31 AM   #42
Jeremiah/Az

How do you feel when you CC?

Dressed. Been carrying for a long time & I don't even think about it. It is just a part of getting dressed.
Old August 22, 2011, 06:11 AM   #43
Mike Irwin
Staff

The same as I do when I'm not carrying.

Only a bit heavier.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:43 AM   #44
crazy charlie

Reminds me of my younger days when I was a private detective. I had an occasion whereby a local chief of police, a retired captain of police, and our female companions were having cocktails over dinner.
The subject came up about concealed carry.
I won't use the chiefs exact words but it went like this. Carrying a concealed weapon is like being sexually excited. You know it, but few people ever notice. His statement was sort of an 'ice breaker' and all six of us got a good laugh over it.
I still smile when I think about it. The chief was not a stuffed shirt.
Old August 22, 2011, 10:39 AM   #45
chewie146

I've been there

You'll get used to it. I felt a lot better once I got a nicer holster that didn't make it feel like I was carrying something enormous.
Old August 22, 2011, 11:00 AM   #46
kazanski612

Carry for a few years and then go somewhere that you can't for a week or 2. Now that is weird. It makes Condition Yellow seem a lot more real and important, IMO.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old August 22, 2011, 08:41 PM   #47
Red Dog

Someone mention fear in one the the replys. I'm not doing this out of fear, I look at it like insurance....better to have and not need than the other way around.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:31 PM   #48
Mobuck

I've had a carry permit for a long time(and carried before the permits) so it's just like wearing pants. I've always carried a folding knife and a small vise grip tool on my belt so am used to having something there. Walked into a Cstore for a potty stop this morning and almost bumped into a city cop. We both said"oops and hello" and he gave me a casual look-saw an old guy with a photographer's vest and a little smile crossed his face. I didn't feel any sort of concern about my pistol and took care of business and left. You probably just need to spend more time packing your holstered gun and getting used to it being part of you.
I do find myself checking the area for other folks carrying concealed. In the process, I've pegged a couple of plainclothes cops and a few citizens I suspected or knew for sure were packing.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:59 AM   #49
Viper225

Everyone worrys about printing. With cel phones, I-Pods, etc everyone is printing. I can carry my J Frame 638 under a hi quality long Tee Shirt, and no one notices. Being an ORG (Old Retired Guy) I have the Retired Guy Look down pat. Shirtail always out, Kaki Boonie hat, Flowerdy shirts, Fishing Shirts, etc.
The most important thing I have done for CCW is geting some better holsters. I have Lobo Model 1 pancakes for my 638 and 3" 625. I have an Enhanced Pancake on order for my 4" Model 64. For my 1911 I have the Askens Avenger style holster from Rafter S, and an Inside the Waist Band model. Good leather makes all the difference.
I have also had pockets added to the inside of jackets for my J Frame pocket holster.
Adjust your wardrobe for CCW. Get some shirts that are to be worn not tucked in. The South American/Cuban Dress shirts with the square long tail would be a good example. They look good, and fit loose enough to not print.

Billfold: This was mentioned above. I can get my billfold out carrying my 638 with no problem. Now carrying my 625 or 64 in a belt holster with longer barrels is a problem. I will get my billfold out before entering a store, and put it in a front pocket.

Bob
Old August 23, 2011, 03:06 AM   #50
rangerryda

Yeah, I carry 120 rounds of .223 and 30 rounds of 9mm and a heavy Motorola radio on my left and a baton, Beretta 92 FS and cuffs on my right so the weight doesn't affect me. As long as I have a sturdy belt, my inside holster is quite comfy compared to the rest of my work week