The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2005, 06:47 PM   #1
beenthere

Clean Powder Recommendations

I've been reloading for many years using the old standys Bullseye, Unique, H-110, 2400. I'm going to start reloading 2 new to me calibers. 41 Magnum and 45 Long Colt. Are any of the newer powders especially clean burning for loads in the 1000f.p.s. to 1250 f.p.s. range?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old June 1, 2005, 07:37 PM   #2
HSMITH

Power Pistol will get you the speeds you want, or close, and is VERY clean burning even in large cases like the 45. Universal is another one that is pretty clean in the big cases.

Unique is THE best 45 Colt powder I have found though, from about 650 FPS up to about 950 it is just superb. Clean schmene I say when the load is accurate.
Old June 1, 2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Big Yac

I havent tried any yet but I hear good things about Ramshot powders being clean burning and such
Old June 1, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Sturm

Beenthere, As BigYac said there are some reaaly good products from Ramshot and True Blue is exactly the type of powder to meet your requirements. Low Blast/flash, Meters exceptionally, very clean and similar to AA#7 in burn rate, or slightly faster than the magnums like AA#9 and Enforcer and of course W-296 and H-110.
Old June 2, 2005, 03:33 PM   #5
renaissance7697

Just plain CLAYS

Clays Clays
Old June 2, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Big Yac

I'm going to be reloading my .454 Casull ammo really soon. Which powder between Ramshot True Blue or Enforcer would be the best? Unlike some poeple I do like full power loads and big muzzle flash
Old June 2, 2005, 11:48 PM   #7
kgpcr

Power piston

I love Power pistol Its great powder and clean burning.
Old June 3, 2005, 03:34 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

to the original ?

I believe, based on your parameters, I'd be reaching for my bottle of HS6.
Old June 3, 2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Nortonics

Look into Vihtavuori powders - more expensive, but worth it.

Vihtavuori - reloading
Old June 4, 2005, 03:06 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

so far

I haven't found any powder as clean as Vihtavuori's 3N37; N110 is super-clean, and N350.

But many find the pricing a bit much.......... :barf:
Old June 4, 2005, 10:21 AM   #11
beenthere

Clean Powders

Thanks everyone. It's been many years since I had a new hangun to load for, but I bought a couple of retirement presents. Looking forward to a lot of good shooting time without stressing the old bones too bad.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old June 4, 2005, 06:38 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

Well?

We wanna know whatcha bought so we can give you crappy dangerous handload advice

Congrats. Retirement, aaaah.....ay?
Old June 4, 2005, 11:35 PM   #13
BILLY D.

In The 41 Mag And 45 Colt It's Universal Clays For Me.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old June 5, 2005, 01:54 AM   #14
Sturm

Big Yac

TRUE BLUE! .454 will actually be amazing with a powder just one step faster than the magnums like Enforcer or #9! HS-6 will work, but just a tad on the fast side for .454!
Old June 5, 2005, 12:35 PM   #15
sixguns

beenthere,

I used to use all the powders you listed, but I gave them up for Universal Clays.
Old June 5, 2005, 10:38 PM   #16
Big Yac

True Blue it is, though I may pick up a pound of Enforcer and a pound of Winchester 296 also....just to see what happens
Old June 5, 2005, 11:21 PM   #17
Sturm

Sounds like a plan to me! I would be interested to hear what you have to say about Enforcer as well!
Old June 6, 2005, 01:34 AM   #18
Robert M Boren Sr

Ramshot's powders are great. I've used True Blue, and Enforcer and X-Terminator with excellent results.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:00 AM   #19
Sturm

Mr. Boren, it is intersting that you brought up X-Terminator. It is so close to W-748 in burn rate that I don't understand why Ramshot has overlooked it's potential as a powder for the ever popular .30-30. I wanted to work with it, but there is no load data and Ramshot decided to use TAC (much like H-335) and Big Game (similar to H-380) instead. This may not stop me however, because I believe I could find a safe place to stert and work from there. Enforcer is definitly on my list of powders to try and I like the fact that it is similar in speed to AA#9 and could make an excellent .41 Magnum powder if Ramshot would work up some data. Maybe I'm dreamin', but I see the Ramshot powders from Belgium putting a crimp on Vihta Vuori's market and at some of the lowest prices for powder, much like Accurate powders. Since Ramshot and Accurate are both owned by Western Powder Company, it will be interesting to see what unfolds in the future. I am very impressed by what I have heard about their newest powder "Hunter". They are claiming it is not temperature sensitive, much like extruded rifle powders and if this holds up, along with the fact that it is slower than the 4350's and very similar to Reloader 19 which is made by Norma (may be N-204 or a very close relative) it could become a very popular ball powder. Sorry for the thread drift!
Old June 6, 2005, 11:09 AM   #20
Robert M Boren Sr

Sturm,
I have a program that I could work up a load for the 30/30 if you would like. What brand of bullet and weight do you use? And a barrel length would be nice, as to get a accurate reading. I have really grown to love the Ramhot line of powders, it's just flat amazing how clean they burn.

Also, check out the Sierra manual, they list the 150gr flat nose using the X-Termintor powder. I sure hope that this helps.

Last edited by Robert M Boren Sr; June 6, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 6, 2005, 04:39 PM   #21
beenthere

What guns?

Okay weshoot2, you get the story. I retired 1/30/04 and I'm finding more time to shoot. With the price of gas up so much and not doing the 55 mile round trip to work every day my income while down some, isn't as bad as it might have been.

I'm too old, lazy, slow etc. to be playing the run&gun stuff and have found my old K-frame 22 and Ruger 357 are a lot of fun to soot and a whole lot cheaper when a couple of hours of shooting are finished. 100 rds of carefull shooting vs. 400 rds of filling the air with lead.

After going through that "rationalization" process I went shopping. Brought home a 45 SS Blackhawk and put a 41 MAG Blackhawk in lay-a-way.

Since I'm basically getting goodies to leave to the kids down the road I'm mostly interested in old man loads like the 950-1000 fps cowboy loads. In the other hand, there's always a chance I might be able to go on a pig hunt in the next couple of years so some hot tusker loads would be something to practice with occasionally.

So bring on the loads. If I can find an address for "Armorizing" I'll deck the 41 Mag out and smile when I show it to the kids.

Thanks everyone.

beenthere
Old June 6, 2005, 08:09 PM   #22
Sturm

RMB Sr.

My PM is in the mail with the .30-30 bullets! Thanks! If you decide to look at .41 Magnum, 170 gr. Sierra, 200 Gr. Remington JHP, any of the 210 gr. JHPs and the 220 gr. Sierra Tournament Master! Just if you get to a point like I do sometimes and want to analyze some data. We do have a good number of .41 Magnum shooters and a new thread, I'm sure would be appreciated. You have one vote of confidence as of right now!

Probably time I had that program myself!
Old June 6, 2005, 10:33 PM   #23
Robert M Boren Sr

Here's what I have so far. Send me an email and I'll send you some more the other page was too large to send.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sierra 3030 125gr.pdf (242.0 KB, 31 views)
Old June 7, 2005, 12:11 AM   #24
Sturm

Thanks

Looks great and was a little surprised to see the lower charge weights achieving similar velocity. An economy aspect I just didn't expect, not as much anyway as the difference between X-Terminator and 748. Looks very promising for the 125!

Thanks Again!
Old June 7, 2005, 03:52 PM   #25
WESHOOT2

putterin'

For real easy shootin' suggest 'conventional' bullet weights, lead, natch, over Titegroup.

For more steam with mostly-whatever bullet weights, uhmmm, might try Vihtavuori N350.

Clean.......

Data from Sierra, Vihta, and some others........