The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 19, 2001, 10:01 PM   #51
Engineer

I'll probably be able to make it to Pro Gun - but somebody's gotta give me some directions from the Cleveland area - most likely I'll be coming down 77. BTW - any funky or odd rules with the range that we should know about? And how much does range time run?

Old February 19, 2001, 10:01 PM   #52
Nukem

Tusco

Take 77 south from the Akron area to 250 east. East on 250 to the Midvale exit. Left turn, cross over top of 250, right at first (only) stoplight on other side (in front of church). Go east about 2- 2 1/2 miles, club is on left side of road.

There are some pics of the club here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...095&a=10571311
Old February 19, 2001, 10:25 PM   #53
falconer

To get to Pro Gun, take route 8 (south from cleveland, north from akron) and get off at the Broad Blvd exit. Go west on broad. The second light should be 2nd street. Turn right onto second street. Keep going on 2nd street, shortly after you cross the intersection of Portage ST, the road will turn into a one way street. The one way street will curve right, then left until it becomes Front street. Pro Gun is a small brick building on the right, with Riverside Range right next door.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:46 PM   #54
1S1K

Engineer I will be in Bedfort or Twinsburg if you want to get together for a ride. email me for my number.

Bill {Bedford} I know were I live.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:50 PM   #55
1S1K

Falconer
what are the limits of the range?
My new 308 neads some work and this would be a good time.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:51 PM   #56
rvb

I hope to be at Pro Gun on Sat...

but I don't always know my schedule that far ahead.

for who asked, Pro Gun's a little pricy at $10 per half, but it's a nice range. I've only been there once, though. You can use your own ammo.

As for the Sunday shoot, I may come along to watch.
Sounds like I may need both some more experience and equipment to get the most out of that day.

rvb
Old February 19, 2001, 10:57 PM   #57
1S1K

rvb
If there is some equipment I can help with for the day let me know. I have some extra.
Old February 19, 2001, 11:21 PM   #58
falconer

Rates for Pro Gun are 10/half hr. 15/hr (+5 for an additional person on that lane). You can shoot anything up to a .338 win mag

oh yea, only really "funky or odd" rule I can think of is they don't like people walking around with holstered weapons (staff only). Gotta keep em on the firing line.

hmm, anyone know if they allow full auto? I have a friend I might drag along and he'll probably wanna shoot his ak or mp5
Old February 20, 2001, 12:32 AM   #59
Engineer

Hmmm, .338 Win Mag, eh? Maybe I might have to bring some of my rifles as well

Bill - Thanks for the offer - I'll let you know later what I decide on. It's pretty easy for me to run down Chester Ave and get on 77 and head down that way as well.

Well, I just put a deposit down on one of them newfangled HS2000's today ... (yeah Plateshooter, another polymer gun ) ... hope to get it on Friday and add yet another toy to my collection ... ugh - this is getting out of control!
Old February 20, 2001, 01:20 AM   #60
Engineer

Nukem - where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you at the recent shows (though I heard you were working weekends lately). Hope to catch up with you soon.

Old February 20, 2001, 06:39 AM   #61
Nukem

Shows...

I've been working some, but staying away from the shows to save some money I have a new truck ordered.
I'll make the OGCA, then there's Knob Creek comming up.
You all really thinking of hitting the first plate shoot at Tusco?
Old February 20, 2001, 09:16 AM   #62
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I'm planning to be at Pro Gun on Saturday. They only have 5 or six lanes, so we may have to pair up on the lanes. That could also help keep the cost down. (Extra person per lane is only $5 extra, I think.

If anyone knows the folks who run the place and would like to call, we should probably ask them if they will open up early for us, or reserve the entire range for an hour or two... (If there's enough of us on Saturday.)
Old February 20, 2001, 02:06 PM   #63
Dikyllis

Dayton Ohio here. Nail a date down and I'd like to give it a try. As long as not first weekend in April......that's KNOBCREEK!!!!
Old February 20, 2001, 11:08 PM   #64
rvb

1S1K ...

I appreciate that offer, man. But, really, if I can make it, I'm happy watching and making a learning experience out of it.

Basically, I need everything but the part that goes "Bang!" Being as new to the game as I am, all I have is my B92 and the equipment that came with it (2 Klinton mags). From the description of the outdoor shoot, I'd need everything from a holster, to ammo carrier, to extra mags, and a lot more experience.

If I can get by with taking my time as well as reloading the 10-rounders as I go, then I guess a RH holster would be all I'd need to borrow. But not knowing the rules of the event, I don't know if that would be possible or if I'd just hold everyone else up...

I may take part in the plate shoot, though, that sounds cool.

thanks,
rvb
Old February 20, 2001, 11:50 PM   #65
Engineer

rvb,

Don't worry about being a begineer. The last Tusco shoot that I went to was my first ever shoot. I'm used to just standing there and punching holes through paper. The guys running the event are really great guys - just let them know you are a first timer and they will basically walk you through the course and tell you want to do. You'll have lots of fun and I think between all of us there will be plenty of equipment if you need anything. The only thing I can think of is you will need to get at least two more mags (as I believe you need a min of three for the pistol course) - but you really don't need an ammo carrier - I just had my mags in this pullover pocket and grabbed them as I went from station to station.

The rifle course is another story - I had my clock cleaned by Plateshooter and Nukem ... but heck, I still had fun.

Old February 21, 2001, 04:30 PM   #66
falconer

Pro Gun
Me
Dave
Engineer
1S1K
rvb
RAE
hksigwalther

Tusco
Me (+2 possibles)
hksigwalther
1s1k
plateshooter
3gun
rvb?
nukem?

If I can find their business card, I'll call Pro Gun and see if we can reserve a couple lanes for the 24th. If they allow reserves we should be set, since this is a month in advance.

In case I can't find it, can someone stop in or call em and ask?
Old February 21, 2001, 06:35 PM   #67
Nukem

Tusco

Falconer, I'll be at Tusco. I'm a member too.

As a side note for Ohio shooters:
If you want to shoot CMP, Youngstown Rifle and Pistol club holds a monthly match, all year. You can shoot the Club Garands with issue ammo, or your own Service Rifle. M1, M1A, AR, ect. 200yrd course with reduced targets for 300 and 600 yrd.
Next match March 11
Call: Mike Policy 330-534-5697
Just off of Ohio Turnpike and Rt.18 (Mahoning ave)
You need a shooting mat (or piece of carpet) Sling and a spotting scope helps. 2 mags for a detachable mag service rifle.
They also are an IDPA club and shoot 1st Sunday of the month, all year also. Outdoors if weather permits.
Old February 21, 2001, 10:08 PM   #68
1S1K

Nukem

Do you have any info on the plate shoot? How it's run? Can we shoot more then one event?

Thanks Bill
Old February 22, 2001, 06:37 AM   #69
Nukem

1S1K

The plate shoot is just a "fun" shoot, not like the action rifle match they have there. They will have four shooting stations set up (2 pair)and about 80yrds out there will be some odd # of 8X10" or 10X10" steel plates usually around 13 each plus some sort of "stop" target for each shooter. The plates are two colors mixed, you and whoever you're shooting against decide what color each will take in advance. When the line is ready the RO blows a whistle, first one to down all targets and the clock stopper wins. It's a speed thing. There are two schools of thought on winning, use an AR where recoil is light and you keep your sight picture and a fast shot to shot (downside, light bullets on heavy steel plates) or a 30 cal where a hit anywhere usually knocks the plates over.
My secret weapon this spring will be a 7.62X39 AR15

The pistol course can be about anything, the ROs change it every shoot

Eye protection is a must, due to the chance of back spatter, especially on the pistol range.
Old February 22, 2001, 06:45 PM   #70
1S1K

Now this sounds like fun. I may have a guy that I hunt with come along.
Old February 22, 2001, 09:16 PM   #71
hksigwalther

.22lr

Do they have any type of .22lr shoots?
Old February 22, 2001, 10:26 PM   #72
1S1K

Dose any one have a cost for Tusco?
Old February 22, 2001, 10:41 PM   #73
plateshooter

It's a buck a run, or 5 bucks for all day per range.
For 20 bucks, you can shoot all ranges, all day, and have a hot lunch too. Resturant is right behind the firing line.
I don't know of any other place on the planet that is more fun, or less expensive.
Old February 22, 2001, 10:54 PM   #74
1S1K

Thanks this sounds to good to be true.
Old February 22, 2001, 11:07 PM   #75
falconer

I think I need to join Tusco. Sounds/looks like an excellent place.