The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Deja vu

Holographic sight for small game?

I have been thinking about doing some thing different. Currently I am looking at getting an EOTech 1 moa dot for shooting ground squirrels. The normal range is about 30-70 yards. Is a holographic sight good enough to hit grounds squirrels at this range? I will stick with a scope if its a bad idea I am just toying with the idea at the moment. I have never use a holographic sight other than fondling them at the gun store.

p.s. this will be on a 10-22

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 13, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
grumpa72

That may be a bit small for a target. Using my Eotech on a .223 Colt AR, I can get a good 4" group at 50 yards. You might be better off with an inexpensive 3 or 4 power scope on your .22. I have an old Mossberg .22 that I can 2" groups at that range. More than adequate for a squirrel.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
tahunua001

I have no experience with holographic sights but my 10/22 has a cheap red dot on it and it's easily ground squirrel accurate at the specified ranges.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Deja vu

I may just go with a scope. I was just looking for some thing new. I think a bit of magnification would be a good thing.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 13, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Venom1956

i find red dot sights preferable to holo such as eotechs.

this one might fit the bill its a zoom dot adjustable dot size.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zoom-.../dp/B003HQBA7G
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 14, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Creek Henry

I have a low end red dot on my .22. It's good out to 50 yards for rabbits but it too course for further shooting, imo. I'd say get a 2.5x instead.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
alex0535

I have killed a squirrel with my Burris Fastfire III 3moa red dot and my .17 hmr revolver. On a rifle, it is so much more stable and I think I could hit a squirrel from 30-70 yards.

I haven't ever looked through the scope your talking about but with such a tiny dot, accuracy should be pinpoint.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Bamashooter

I have shot many groups around an inch at 100yrds with my Del-ton and Eotech 512. Some were under and some were over. Honestly I dont see why you couldnt use it to kill squirrel. I wish they were a little cheaper because I would like to have one on my 10/22 and my 9mm carbine and............
Old January 17, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Pahoo

Size matters !!

I'm not familiar with what you are calling a Ground Squirrel, in your part of the country. Here in the Midwest, they are small and perhaps a stretch at 70yds. I have both the Holo's and RedDots on my 10/22 and they work great for the Fox and Grey Squirrels we encounter. ...

The last time I was in California I saw Squirrels that were digging burrows on a hill side. They were rather large and asked a local, what they were called. He said; Ground Squirrels. Okay !!

Be Safe !!!
Old January 17, 2013, 08:44 PM   #10
rickyrick

A common problem with hunting varmints is the rifle is over scoped, to much magnification. You get something close and the scope becomes a hinderence. I would suggest 1-4x or 1.5x or something.

On stuff, lets say skunk or smaller, parallax issues can cause trouble also, as well as scope height over bore. You really got to be able to anticipate trajectory at closer ranges and small animals. An inch or so can make a difference in a clean kill or shooting the foot off of the critter.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

Had a reddot on my main hunting 10/22 a few years ago. Coon callin was the order of the day and for fast and close shooting the reddot worked fine. Lord did it suck though for squirrel's that weren't very close and 100% exposed. Switched back to a 2-7x scope and never looked back. Save the reddots for plinkin at the range.