The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
pax

Favorite fast-access storage method?

Crowd-sourcing a little research here: what's your favorite fast-access way to store a defensive handgun or shotgun?

I need product names and links wherever possible.

(And yes -- I keep my handgun on my hip at home too, but I'm specifically looking for safe storage products that allow you to lock up the gun loaded but still retrieve it quickly.)

thanks!

pax
Old November 30, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Hal

Sorry - I should have read the question closer..

Last edited by Hal; November 30, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Gaerek

https://www.ftknox.com/store/?route=...&product_id=58

All mechanical, no batteries to die and fail on you. Also, no easy way to open the safe from the outside (most of the gunvault/stack-on/etc safes can be opened without a key/combo in under a minute if you know what you're doing).

EDIT: I should say, I'm planning to get one soon. For now, I have this guy:

http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html

It's within arms reach of where I sleep. My gun's on my hip all the time, unless I'm sleeping or showering. Its in there when I'm sleeping. It works well enough for me for now, but I'm paranoid about the batteries failing and have been changing them every 2 months. Hence the reason I want to go to the Ft. Knox safe.

Last edited by Gaerek; November 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
pax

Thanks for the links, Gaerek. Hugely helpful!

pax
Old December 1, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5
FAS1

My favorite Kathy, but I am partial. It does offer a higher level of security than most and has some unique features.

FAS1 SAFE

Welded construction - 3/16" steel (7ga) and weighs over 23 lbs. Heaviest gage steel available in a handgun safe.
Welded in place non-exposed hinge pin - 3/8" steel.
Recessed Lid with door jam for pry resistance.
Pushbutton mechanical lock - no batteries, electricity or fingerprint scans.
Holster presents gun as lid opens via gas strut. The gun is always in the same place and your trigger is covered when reaching for your gun.
Universal mount - drill holes and mount anywhere you like, vertical or horizontal. No unused holes that can compromise security.
MADE IN THE USA - San Antonio, TX

Click for Video Clip
Old December 3, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
pax

Thanks, FAS1.

Kathy
Old December 3, 2012, 08:14 AM   #7
vito

It depends on what you mean by safe. None of the small gun safes will resist a determined individual with the proper tools. Even if the safe is secured to the wall, or a piece of heavy furniture a crowbar will get it loose, and then with time it will be opened. I use the Gunvault, which I have secured to the inside of bedroom armoir. It allows me to keep a loaded firearm reasonably available for emergencies, without having to worry about my visiting grandchildren getting access. I open it frequently, just to check it, and have only changed the batteries once in several years. For me this is a reasonable solution.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
K1500

My experience with GunVault is not good. I bought one and it would fail to open the door when brand new. I lubed it and cycled it open and closed. After about 100 cycles, it started working fine, but my faith had been shaken.

A few years down the road, the vault failed again. To make a long story short, the thin lock activation cable in the safe broke, rendering the electronic lock useless. No way to open the safe without digging out the key. To the credit of GunVault, they sent out a warrant replacement, even though the original safe was out of the 1 year warranty period.

The replacement had the exact same problem the original one did. This time, it would fail to open on the first try (it would click and try to open but the door would stay shut). A second try would allow the safe to open. After that, it appeared to work normally.

The big problem came the next morning, when the safe again failed to open. Apparently, after sitting with the door closed for any length of time, the safe would not open on the first try. Working the lock and lubing made it better, but the problem is still there. In addition, the newer style of button is harder and slower to activate than the old style.

At this point, I am pretty displeased with the product. Then I go to open the safe and the thing just quits. Buttons do not register in the proper way and it will not accept a code. The battery is new and about 2 weeks old, so I disconnect it and reconnect it. Now the buttons work, but it will not take a code. I tried both my code and the factory default. I disconnect the battery again and reconnect it, and now it works with my code.

You tell me if this is performance you can trust. The problem is the MultiVault is the only quick access safe that I am aware of that will hold up to four handguns. While I don't need four, I need an absolute minimum of two, and three would be better still.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
FAS1

K1500,

I keep a G17 in mine for home defense with a couple spare mags laying in the bottom under the barrel. There is room for a second gun also laying in the bottom to the side and have had several customers tell me they keep their CCW in them at night as well. It does have to be upside down and reversed so th two guns will clear each other.

In the FAS1-Magnum, I think 3 would be possible to store in this manner since the holster is centered and the box is 1/2" wider and 1" longer. Perhaps one on each side.

I think there are a few other handgun safes that will store a couple handguns like the larger Ft. Knox and V-Line. Both these also use mechanical push button locks.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
K1500

Thanks Glenn, I will have to take a closer look.