The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2020, 03:42 PM   #1
ndking1126

Savage 110 Extractor Question

I bought a Savage 110 in 7mm used off of the internert. It looks to be in pretty solid condition, except that when I took it to the range, I realized it's got a few problems:

1. Cartridges won't go into full battery.. I can slide the bolt forward, but it won't go down. Seems like headspace problem.
2. Missing the ejector. No little knob sticking out..
3. Extractor doesn't pull the round out.

My question is would the ejector only engage when the round is fully in battery? Or should it be pulling the round out even though I can't close the bolt all the way?

I've been trying to get a response from a gunsmith to just take it in, but no one has responded yet.

Arrgh.. this is the first time I've had any real problem with a used gun. I guess it was just my turn!

Last edited by ndking1126; May 17, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old May 17, 2020, 04:34 PM   #2
10-96

Yessir, the ejector ought to be poking out all the time.

Now, if you pull the bolt out of the rifle and rock in a ctg into the bolthead-does the extractor grab it? A new bolthead won't set you back too much.

The headspace matter, and the other symptoms- that might tell me someone took the barrel off, replaced it, got into a job over their head and slapped it back together. I hope you've stopped trying to fire it before a trip to a GS. Either way, somebody screwed the barrel in without a set of headspace gauges.

Have you contacted the seller? He's got a mighty big heap of esplainin to do!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 17, 2020, 06:06 PM   #3
ndking1126

I've never paid that much attention to how an extractor and the bolt head works. After reading your post I pulled out the 7mm Rem and also my other Savage 110 chambered in 270 Win to compare.

What I noticed from this exercise is that the 7mm Rem Mag rifle has a bolt head for the 30-06 family. It's too small, keeping the bullet from sliding down into the bolt head. Clearly, this would cause headspacing issues.

When I put the 270 cartridge in the bolt head from the 270, I can push the round away from the extractor and it very securely holds it. If I do the same with the 7mm bolt head (which is the same size as the 270 bolt head), the 270 round just comes out. So, extractor clearly worn down.

Now the question becomes is the barrel or the bolt head the original? With a properly sized bolt head, the headspacing might be good.

I sent two e-mails to the party I bought it from, and I'll see what they offer to do. My guess is they'll say that's the risk you take buying used off the internet, but maybe I'll get lucky. I'll buy the new bolt head and an ejector kit and install them. I accidentally installed the ejector the wrong direction on my 3rd Savage and I haven't been motivated enough take it back apart and fix it. Maybe two problems will be worth getting my tools out and my hands dirty. I almost wonder if it's got a firing pin in it now... maybe I'm being too skeptical though, lol

10-96, thank you for your thoughts, they got me thinking. I know on the internet you can't assume too much, but obviously yes, I have no intentions of trying to shoot a rifle that doesn't go into full battery.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Every used gun I've bought was clearly "as is" and no warranty. It certainly is worth pursuing the seller to see if they have a conscience.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:11 PM   #5
ndking1126

I agree, I asked if they have an ejector kit they could send because that was missing and it was sold as a complete rifle. I don't expect anything for the wrong bolt head.
We'll see.

The more I think about it, the fact that the ejector pieces are missing makes me want to believe the bolt head is probably what was changed, and not the barrel. I'll probably never know, but that's my thought.
Old May 18, 2020, 02:04 PM   #6
wild willy

Before you get too excited back the the front action screw out a couple turns then try to chamber a round.I've had Savage 10/110 rifles since 1971.The front screw being a little long is not uncommon problem might not be that but worth a try.There are also 3 or 4 slightly different extractors over the years I never seen it posted or listed any where but I've had them in my hand to see the difference and I've got a gun the would drop the empty in the magazine to work fine by changing extractors.I don't know much about Savage CS now but in the past they have sent me some parts for the asking and other times for a very fair price.At one time I think I could have tore a Savage apart and put it back together blindfolded.Then I discovered Tikka's
Old May 20, 2020, 09:01 PM   #7
ndking1126

I love a good surprise! The seller wrote back and offered to write me a check for $60 to cover both the extractor kit and bolt head and to loan their action wrench incase the head spacing was off. I paid $220 for the rifle..wow!

I was so impressed I told her $30 for the extractor kit would be sufficient.

She's Jesssuper38 on gunbroker.. look her up next time you are going to buy a gun online.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:54 PM   #8
10-96

Man, that's great she's making good on the deal!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.