The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 11:25 AM   #26
Brit

To my my knowledge, all pistol manufacturers have the disclaimer on hand loads. They kill the warrantee.
I worked for Glock GA for two years. So became friendly with some of the staff.

Officiating at an IPSC Ontario Canada match, at an indoor range near Orlando, one Sat. afternoon. An older shooter, he was 80. Fired the course, with quite the horrendous report from his Glock 17. He was new to the reloading game.
(I am 84, 80 isn't old!) He asked me could I adjust his rear night sight, I had the tool in my shooting bag. It was shooting to the left. Yes, 7" to the left, at 10 yds! I fired one shot, just like shooting a .44 Mag! Stripped it down, the slide was cracked at the bottom of the ejection port.

After cleaning up, locking up, off to Tim Hortons for coffee and doughnuts.
I know, real men go for beer! Canadians, what can I say.
He explained his reloading technique. He was using 115g hardball rounds with the max. charge of 700X (we bought that Dupont powder in Buffalow in 12 lb kegs) lasted a long time. We were supposed to declare it at customs?
I am an American now, more honest?

Back to his re-loading. When he used up his 115g bullets, he switched to lead cast 169g bullets he bought from a friend. No, he did not change the powder throw! I sent the slide back to Smyrna, with a note, asked that they send me a new slide. They had my credit card on file.
A funny phone call! And a new slide turned up, no note! No charge. Another buddy who had been loading for .45 & 9mm for years took our new loader under his wing. Done.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:21 PM   #27
Brit

If all the parts where dissembled, and every part were to be X-rayed done by an expert in metallurgy (which I am not) plus each part measured and matched against the factory new parts physical measurements, and replace out of spec parts.

If this was my gun, I would keep and shoot it. And fit my reloading system with a fail-safe check for double loads.
Old May 18, 2020, 05:33 PM   #28
dogtown tom

Uhhhh.................OP hasn't posted to this thread since his original post on April 10th and hasn't posted to TFL at all in over a month....so I doubt he has any interest in the conversation.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 19, 2020 at 12:04 AM. Reason: .
Old May 19, 2020, 12:02 AM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When he used up his 115g bullets, he switched to lead cast 169g bullets he bought from a friend. No, he did not change the powder throw!
That's scary. I'm surprised Glock replaced the slide free.

And I think this thread is done now. I'm going to delete some posts that are needlessly hostile and put it to bed.