The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 14, 2020, 07:22 PM   #1
2wheelwander

Super Redhawk scope recommendations

Finally scratched a years ling itch and got a great deal on a used Super Redhawk. It came with a 4x32 Simmons scope. Kinda looks/feels cheap to me and looking at upgrading. Don't want to spend $750, but not $100 either. This will be a deer hunter. I'm comfortable with shots past 100 yards.

Current rings I believe are ?Ruger? with the thumb screws on the side. They were loose when I picked it up.

What have you guys used enjoyed? TIA

Old January 15, 2020, 08:26 AM   #2
BBarn

Magnum handguns seem to be a durability challenge for scopes. Most guys I know using them have settled on Leupolds after other brands have failed.
Old January 15, 2020, 06:20 PM   #3
HiBC

The only scoped handgun I have is a single shot MOA Maximum in 260 Remington. I forget whether its a 2x or 2 1/2 x Its a Leupold No problems.

Bench groups are indeed < 1 MOA. The eyes aren't too good now.but a few years ago,butt on the ground ,leaning back on my left elbow,right knee up,and resting on my knee,It was as good as shooting a rifle sitting,maybe better.

A 200 yd clay bird was typically hit.

I'm not telling that to brag.I'm suggesting I found 2x or 2 1/2 x is enough for me. A lower X makes small field of view and finding your reticle less of an issue. The straight tube,rather than an ocular bell,might work better with a holster.
Old January 15, 2020, 07:41 PM   #4
Steve in PA

I’ve had a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x scope on my SRH for over 25 years. I have Bushnell scopes on my SRH and T/C Contender barrels in 7-30 Waters, .223, .44 Magnum and .22 Hornet. Sadly, Bushnell no longer makes these scopes.

Leupold and Burris are the top choices now.

The screws were loose probably because the seller just threw the scope on. I have not needed to touch the factory Ruger mounts since I put the scope on over 25 years ago.
Old January 15, 2020, 07:47 PM   #5
2wheelwander

Thanks for the vote on confidence on the rings Steve. I hope not to have to replace those. Going to go through the whole set up and check of hidden issues. Obviously nothing was torqued. I wonder if he just didn't know better and thought he had a lemon?

I'll check out Leopold and Burris. Thanks Gents.
Old January 15, 2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Pahoo

Burris ??

I had a Burris 2-7 or 4-7 Black Pistol scope' can't remember the exact range and I also mounted a RedDot and had to get an extra set of 30MM rings. The 1" rings came with the pistol. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old January 15, 2020, 07:54 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

personally, I find 4x to be too much to use offhand. Rested is another matter. If there is any chance you might need a quick shot, offhand, a lower power like 2.5x or less is easier to use and faster to get on target.

I don't scope my revolvers, or most semis, I do have some on Contender barrels I go with low power or zero power and have had amazingly good results with a very cheap ($35) a decade ago Red dot on my .45-70.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:02 PM   #8
Zzeke

I put that same Simmons scope on my Super Redhawk 454 Casull, and after the 3rd shot, the scope sounded like a baby rattle. It was toast.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:03 AM   #9
veprdude

I had a cheapy scope on my SRH 454. Bought it used with the scope. After a few rounds the reticle started rotating.

If you're on a budget, I would buy the least expensive scope that will warranty and guarantee it won't fail with your .44/45LC/454/460/etc.