The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2019, 04:32 AM   #1
GreatGutling

Professional optics. Pulsar or N-Vision

Hi everyone, almost 6 years in big game hunting. I have tried some thermal scopes and one nightvision. While the thermal is superior there are some reasonably priced night vision scopes in the $500 range that I have been impressed with. But now the circumstances are such that I can afford much more than I could before. So I am about to buy a professional thermal binocular with at least 1500 ft range, rangefinder, video recording. And I'm considering three options from here Pulsar Accolade XQ38, N-Vision Optics Atlas, Pulsar Accolade XP50. What do you think?

Last edited by GreatGutling; October 27, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old October 26, 2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I think you are comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari.

If you want professional grade stuff, go with the N-Vision. The Pulsar stuff is good, functional optics, but the image is just so much better with N-Vision.

By the way, neither of the brands offers a thermal binocular, regardless of how they are advertised. Technically, they are bi-oculars. The difference is that with a bi-ocular, you have 1 objective lens and two oculars and with a binocular, you have 2 objective lenses and two oculars. With a bi-ocular, you do NOT have actual stereo vision.

When it comes to thermal, here are some general considerations that will help you.

1. Resolution: higher numbers are better than smaller. Currently, 640x 480/512 is the most you can get.
2. Micron size: The distance between pixels, smaller is better...you can get a better image from the same size of lens with a lower micron size
3. Lens size: Bigger is better than smaller
4. Hertz rate: higher is better, but higher consumes more power than lower.

Zoom on all civilian models of thermal scopes such as by Pulsar, N-Vision, etc. is digital only. So your best image is at native magnification. When you zoom in 2 times (2x zoom), you actually reduce your resolution to 1/4 of what is way. So if the resolution is 640x480 and you go to 2x zoom, you are now at 320x240 resolution. When you do the math, the latter has 1/4 of the pixels than the former.

The N-Vision (there are 25mm and 50mm models) has higher native magnification than the Pulsars. That means you will be getting a narrower field of view with the N-Visions, but between the higher magnification and smaller micron size, your image will be much better. HOWEVER, higher magnification will make it harder to scan from moving vehicles and the smaller FOV will mean that it can take longer to scan a closer area because the N-Vision will not take in as much.

Just a FYI consideration, if you are using thermal in the dark and plan on navigating (walking/stalking), the bi-ocular concept is pretty stupid. Without supplemental night vision device(s), using a bi-ocular scope will essentially ruin your night vision in BOTH eyes and make the dark seem that much darker until your eyes readjust a little while later. For sitting in a stand? No problem. Navigating? Problem. So if you use the unit for navigating, be sure to keep one eye closed to that it will still be night-capable.
Old October 27, 2019, 10:05 AM   #3
GreatGutling

Thanks man, I guess it's the best reply I could get
Old April 17, 2020, 06:38 PM   #4
fireitall

Go with the Pulsar. You won't be disappointed by that. Also, what are you using it for? If you're going hunting I suggest you get some Bushnell Falcon binoculars.