The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2020, 04:49 AM   #1
Snipe

Reloading 9mm

Hello everyone,
I have decided to reload 9mm on my turret press, has anyone installed a powder thrower on the press? I am getting mix opinions on this.

Thanks
Old May 19, 2020, 07:19 AM   #2
higgite

Which turret press? Automatic advance, like Lee? Or manual advance, like RCBS, Redding and others?

I have successfully used a Lee case activated powder measure on a Lee auto advance turret press, but not on any others. The Lee combo worked very well.
Old May 19, 2020, 07:31 AM   #3
littlebikerider

I have a powder thrower on my Hornady LnL. Whether I use it, or use an external digital powder measure, depends on the powder I am working with. I have found some powders like CleanShot, TiteGroup, CFE Pistol and even Bullseye to give me very consistent, repeatable powder charges. Other powders, like unique, don't meter as well and only get used with the external powder measure.
Old May 19, 2020, 05:15 PM   #4
GTOne

Which powder thrower?
I don't see why it would be any problem. Keep in mind you will need a way to mount it with some kind of charging die set up and depending on measure and method of activating it can be simple or not so simple with cost being relative to that.
I have seen just about every brand of measure on every brand of press.
Old May 19, 2020, 07:43 PM   #5
Grey_Lion

Let me put it to you this way - do you seriously want to increase your chances of squibs and over-charged rounds?

Never had a powder thrower myself - I weigh out each charge on a lyman digital scale.

Another consideration - if quantity is your goal - then you might want a powder thrower. If quality is your goal - you likely don't want a powder thrower......

If I'd have used a powder thrower - I might not have found the eye-glass screw I found in the last container of bullseye I ever used.....
Old May 19, 2020, 11:12 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I use Lee's Autodisc on my Lee Turret press. I use the Autodisc for both .45 ACP and 9mm.

Why would anyone advise you NOT to use a powder dispenser on your press?
Jeepaholic
Old May 20, 2020, 05:19 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

I use both the Lee Autodisc and the Autodrum depending on what I’m loading. For pistol loads that I shoot in bulk I customize the discs with a tapered reamer, for small rifle (.223 and 7.62x39) I have drums already set up. In the rifle rounds these are plinking rounds, generally 2MOA or better. This is on a Lee Classic Cast turret press. For accurate rifle rounds, 1MOA or better, I use a single stage and hand weigh powder.
Old May 20, 2020, 06:28 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

My setup is the same as jetinteriorguy's - Lee classic turret, pro auto disk, and auto drum measures that are press mounted.
The auto disk measure is just about idiot proof, and works very well for handgun rounds.
Old May 20, 2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Hammerhead

I use my Redding 10X on top of my T-7 press.
Redding says the measure may be more accurate on a separate stand, but it's always spot on for me.
Old May 20, 2020, 08:31 AM   #10
GTOne

For range fun ammo weighing every charge for auto-pistol or .223 is not really feasible unless one has a lot of spare time, in fact I'd call it downright unreasonable.
I don't want to spend 5 hours assembling ammo to only shoot it in an hour. That math sucks.
My pro auto-disks riding around on a classic turret are almost always within a tenth with any ball powder, as are my dillon measures.

Squibs or overcharges have nothing to do with the charge method, those are on the operator.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Swifty Morgan

There is a Youtuber who calls himself 76Highboy Reloading, and he has a series of excellent videos on the Hornady Lock-n-Load press. He shows people how to set a powder measure up for consistent loads. I found his videos very useful.

As for reloading 9mm, I found I can't save much money, but I can make exactly what I want. Last time I bought 9mm ammo made with brass, I paid $7.35 per box.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:27 AM   #12
Snipe

Thanks everyone for the good advice, I have a redding t7 press with a rcbs thrower and just ordered a lee pro I'll see how that works.
Old May 20, 2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton
Thanks everyone for the good advice, I have a redding t7 press with a rcbs thrower and just ordered a lee pro I'll see how that works.
By "lee pro" do you mean the Pro Auto Disc? The Lee Auto Disc (and the Pro version) work with Lee's powder through charging and flaring die. I don't know if it works with any other brand of dies, so I hope you ordered a die to go with it.
Jeepaholic
Old May 21, 2020, 09:14 AM   #14
pete2

I've never even considered mounting a powder measure to my Lyman turret press. I throw the powder in to all 50 cases and then look in each case to check for no charge or a double, then put the bullets in all 50, then on to the press to seat them. I use a Dillon 550B for my normal loading and just use the Turret press for misc loading these days. I use the turret press just like any other single stage press except I don't have to screw the dies in and out, I have 4 heads for it. It ain't a lot faster than a single stage press but it is handier.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:13 AM   #15
GTOne

Quote:
I use the turret press just like any other single stage press
I would think one could at least double their efficiency and speed with the same margin of safety using a turret press in what I would consider conventional use of the turret, as a multi stage press. The more I can do without removing the case the more ammo I can assemble. I would have no qualms about dropping my dillon measures on a turret press if I had the need.

If I were loading precision rifle/big rifle, only time I would use single stage mode. To each their own, though, whatever one is comfortable doing is what matters.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:21 AM   #16
Baldwin

My first press was a Redding T7 and I used a case activated Hornady powder measure. As someone else mentioned, the powder measure probably would have been more accurate if it was stationary but for loading plinking rounds in 9mm and .45acp, it worked fine.
Old May 21, 2020, 03:46 PM   #17
308Loader

Lee auto drum has worked perfectally for me. Ive had it for a few years, never an issue over 1000's of rounds.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:47 PM   #18
Schlitz 45

+1 for the Lee auto drum. I've found it to drop very consistent loads once dialed in. Never have to touch it until I change caliber or bullet weight.
Old May 22, 2020, 07:05 PM   #19
libiglou

I have a lyman turrent press and use a rcbs powder dispenser mounted on lyman powder/expander dies.Use it for all of my calibers except rifle. It works great. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds without a problem and its actually pretty quick. Each die is labeled so changing calibers is a breeze. The powder/expander die comes with everything you need to load most major calibers.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Prof Young

Use Lee stuff with no problems.

I use a Lee turret press with the auto drum. I've loaded hundreds (thousands maybe) of 9mm with no squib problem. The auto drum is very consistent with plus or mins 0.1 grains. I make a visual check of the case to make sure the powder came down (it always does but . . . ) and every ten or twenty rounds I re-weight the throw just to make sure. I use it to make all my hand gun loads (25 acp, 380, 9mm, 38 spl and plus p, 357, 44 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt) and they all run just fine.

Go for it. Stay within trusted formulas. You won't be sorry.

Prof Young
Old May 24, 2020, 09:05 PM   #21
sparkyv

Lee auto drum or auto disc, regardless you'll need the Lee powder through charging die or the flaring die as the die insert activates the "auto" feature of those measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
By "lee pro" do you mean the Pro Auto Disc? The Lee Auto Disc (and the Pro version) work with Lee's powder through charging and flaring die. I don't know if it works with any other brand of dies, so I hope you ordered a die to go with it.
Old May 25, 2020, 07:44 AM   #22
Snipe

I ordered the lee auto disc with the lee powder through die and a hornady powder cop die to let me know the charge amount. I am only using this set up for 9mm and 45 acp.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:39 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think you'll find that the Powder Cop is wasted on 9mm. The differences are small with handgun cases and powders. My understanding is that the Powder Cop is intended for rifle rounds. If it works for you with 9mm, please let us know so I can revise my understanding.
Jeepaholic
Old May 25, 2020, 11:47 AM   #24
Swifty Morgan

I just got a Powder Cop for pistol reloading, and I would call it useless for short cartridges. I can see into my casings when they go by. The Powder Cop is just a distraction.

Even for deep casings, I think it needs an alarm or a light in order to be useful. It's hard to stare at a little steel rod all day. I have not tried the Dillon device, but ad copy says it's electric. It doesn't look like it will detect low charges.

My press is mounted very low, and I find that to be a big bonus. Seeing into cases is one of the pluses. I would never want to have a press mounted high again.
Old May 26, 2020, 07:42 AM   #25
Schlitz 45

I just loaded up my first 50 9mm loads yesterday to try out using my old Lee hand loader. If all goes well with the recipe I'll go into production on the turret press that I have a Lee Auto Drum mounted on that's been a very accurate & consistent tool. I also started using a digital color inspection camera mounted to the press so I can verify powder's in place at a glance before seating a bullet, really increased safety & production.