The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 12:50 AM   #26
stinkeypete

I've owned quite a few vaqueros and I could always find a load that shot to point of aim, even if it wasn't the load I wanted to shoot.

Some pistols have shot to the right or left and people helpfully pointed out I was holding the gun wrong or had crap trigger control even though it shot to the same point of aim shooting right or left handed or two handed with either hand dominant all from sandbags. Rather than fight about it, just move the sights.

Smith and Wesson lost me when I paid top dollar for a model 317 Kit Gun. Light weight and cute as a button, I could not hit the paper at 50 feet, even with the sight screwed all the way to the left. The group size was appalling. Sent it back. Cost me $50 in shipping.

It came back spraying an appalling group but with the rear sight centered, with a note explaining that the short sight radius meant the inaccuracy was me. My TT Olympia clone had about the same sight radius and I could shoot the 10 ring all day from sandbags. They lost me then and there. I would consider and older S&W but won't buy a new revolver from them ever again. That little (bit of fecal matter) cost a lot for a .22 and I expected it to be a shooter. I learned.

Dealing with sights that are off is too hard for me as I might shoot from 5 feet to 50 yards and I like hitting what I shoot at.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 8, 2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old May 9, 2020, 04:01 AM   #27
rock185

Single action or not, I prefer adjustable sights. All my SA Rugers and a Freedom arms had them. I get the whole nostalgia thing, but I'm not a cowboy and never enjoyed hold up/down/left/right or whatever to hit center of mass.....ymmv

Now that I think about it, there is one fixed sight SA in the family. An NRA BB gun
Old May 9, 2020, 06:41 AM   #28
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Being of an age that I grew up watching the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry on the teevee, cowboy six guns didn't have adjustable sights.
....yep, and those "cowboy" guns shot black powder that didn't smoke, their S.A. "six" guns held a lot more than 6 shots, and even with fixed sights they could shoot thru an Ace of Spades at a hundred paces.

Fixed sights are fine when one is shooting at something the size of a man at 10 yards, or if one only shoots the one gun. Have an array of handguns and you want to shoot 50 yards and more and adjustables are the only way to go. I have one fixed sighted gun in my collection. A Colt Government 1911. Shoots to POA as long as I shoot it with the bead on the target instead of at 6 O' Clock like everything else I own. At SD distances, in the heat of the moment, forgetting to hold it differently(as per Kentucky Windage) than all the rest really don't matter, cause we're talking a few inches on minute of man. For anything else I prefer adjustables. I used to shoot bow instinctively too, and it's the way the Native Americans did it on those "teevee" shows too. Nowadays I have sights, and they adjust.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:44 PM   #29
rclark

Quote:
Never enjoyed hold up/down/left/right or whatever to hit center of mass.....
Me neither. That is why all my fixed sighted revolvers 'get fixed' and shoot to point of aim (25 yards). Joy to shoot.

Quote:
Fixed sights are fine when one is shooting at something the size of a man at 10 yards,
Really? Mine shoot well out to 50+ yards at targets much much smaller than a man. If I couldn't hit was a man sized target at 10 yards with a gun that had 'no' sights, let alone a gun with sights, I'd give up shooting!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; May 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 9, 2020, 02:37 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Apparently nobody knows if Heritage replaces lost screws.

Closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread