The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2020, 12:17 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Savage MSR 15 Recon LRP

Hello all, I am planning to buy an AR rifle this week from the LGS.

They have many models, but the one that Caught my eye was the Savage MSR 15 Recon LRP. In .224 Valkyrie.

The rifle is $1100, but had a mid length gas system, muzzle brake, two stage trigger and pretty nice furniture.

Question is, are they worth the money? Savage makes my favorite bolt guns so naturally I am inclined to believe that the Savage MSR rifles are a good value also.

I am not too worried about ammo availability vs 5.56, cause I can buy components and load 1000 rounds cheaper than I can buy it anyway.

Any insight would be appreciated
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 26, 2020, 12:26 PM   #2
stagpanther

I thought you had your heart set on a valk bolt gun? Anyways--if you're willing to spend the time developing loads you should find a good one eventually--don't be discouraged if at first it seems like you're throwing rocks.
Old April 26, 2020, 12:39 PM   #3
kilotanker22

I will end up building the .224 Valkyrie bolt gun to get what I want.

It would be nice to have a semi auto and bolt gun that could use the same load.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old April 26, 2020, 03:53 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
I will end up building the .224 Valkyrie bolt gun to get what I want.

It would be nice to have a semi auto and bolt gun that could use the same load.
Good idea--though my guess is that what works well in one probably won't (as well) in the other. That's because the autoloader imposes constraints on the cartridge that the straight hand-fed bolt doesn't. I looked at savage's site and the twist rate is hard to discern on that LRP--do you know what it actually is?

Last edited by stagpanther; April 26, 2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old April 26, 2020, 05:07 PM   #5
kilotanker22

I just looked. It says 1:7 6 groove, but the description says 5r rifling. Must be a type o. All of the reviews I have watched said 1:7 twist. Also their 22 Nosler is 1:7.

I really want a .224 Valkyrie. Honestly I can't even come up with a good reason to choose it over the 223/5.56. in all honesty the 223/5.56 is more practical, cheaper and has much better ammunition availability.

Still tossing this around, but something is just telling me to buy a .224 Valkyrie.
– St. Augustine
Old April 26, 2020, 05:11 PM   #6
kilotanker22

I guess an AR 15 in 5.56/223 and a bolt rifle chambered for the same would be a better choice. Plus rifles chambered for each come in a much wider variety.
– St. Augustine
Old April 26, 2020, 05:14 PM   #7
kilotanker22

In comparison the Ruger MPR has all the same features and a rifle length gas system for $300 less than the Savage, but is not chambered for 224 Valkyrie
– St. Augustine
Old April 27, 2020, 02:36 AM   #8
stagpanther

My advice is simply make your own; buy a barrel, get a good 6.8 bolt and go to cavity back bullets for their modified magazine with front cut which allows COL's of 2.3 and longer depending on the bullet. That's where the valk shines--getting those longer, heavier high BC/SD bullets seated where you want them for optimal performance. It's also where the valk requires the work to find that optimal combination. I suspect complete rifles are probably made optimized for a particular factory ammo cartridge. If you like to obsess over finding the right load and don't mind investing money in thousands of bullets--then the valk can be a very fun cartridge--I fall into that "sickness" category. If instead you expect to purchase a good-to-go rifle with very good accuracy with readily available factory ammo; that's probably where it would pay to choose very carefully. "Valk insanity" can be easily contracted by wanting one configuration to "do it all."
Old April 27, 2020, 10:56 AM   #9
kilotanker22

I very much enjoy tinkering with my rifles and loads.

I have been considering building to get exactly what I want.
– St. Augustine
Old April 27, 2020, 11:06 AM   #10
ocharry

hey kilo,,, i just got a sale email from CDNN,,,just so happens they have a 224 valk AR for $499,,made by Radical,i think it was,,,dont know anything about them or that brand ,,,,BUT ,,,might be a place to start,,,maybe worth a shot,,,lol

just thought i would pass it on,,,maybe you will be interested ,,,,maybe not

ocharry
Old April 27, 2020, 11:09 AM   #11
stagpanther

You got me fired up about doing a savage axis valk conversion--unfortunately my truck just broke down so lots of money going to be redirected.
Old April 27, 2020, 12:54 PM   #12
stagpanther

An early valk build using an ARP 6.5 twist with "overlong" freebore. Not a very useful rifle for factory ammo, but it does like warm 95 gr MK's loaded to 2.33

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2948.jpg (149.3 KB, 150 views)