The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

M&P Upgrade

Quick Review on a trigger upgrade for my Smith & Wesson M&P .40

I've never had a single malfunction with the gun in thousands of rounds. But the trigger is a little long on the reset, so I added the APEX tactical Duty/Carry Trigger.

$103.00 with tax and shipping.

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid35.html

I had the trigger put in professionally at a local GS. It took alot of work and fanagling to get everything in properly. It seemed to be due to the Apex trigger spring being larger/wider than the factory spring and not seating flush. After a great deal of work, it was put together.

I tried the gun out for the first time with the new trigger today, and it is a definite improvement. The over-travel (not the uptake) is gone. Follow up shots are quicker, and it just is all around much smoother. The only complaint I've heard with the M&P is the trigger, and this add-on seems to handle that issue, and then some.

So…..If you have an M&P, and want a little more out of the trigger, check out the APEX tactical trigger set(s). I will get to test the trigger pull weight on Monday, but it is supposed to be around 5.5lb according to Apex.

All around good purchase.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
I had the trigger put in professionally at a local GS. It took alot of work and fanagling to get everything in properly. It seemed to be due to the Apex trigger spring being larger/wider than the factory spring and not seating flush. After a great deal of work, it was put together.
Wait, you had it put in professionally. So how do you know it took a lot of work? Is that what the smith said?
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 29, 2012, 07:26 PM   #3
TheGoldenState

^^ Yes.

And I was called in to be shown how the thing could not be made to fit (again, due to what seemed to be the larger spring that would not sit flush.) As he was showing me, he began to get some leeway, call it good timing/luck…. He took the thing apart and put it back together, tweaking things for an hour plus while I was there alone. He had also watched APex's tutorials/videos to be sure he wasnt missing anything over the previous few days.

As a glock armorer for 30 years, he's quite capable, and been around a long time. Skill or ability was never a question.
We both are still not sure why it finally went together, or really, what was even the issue the entire time, other than the spring size (which is negated by everything inevitably working.)

The work ended up being no charge.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Weird. When I did mine I had no issues with the TRS. The only hard time I had was getting the roll pin back in for the trigger housing (slave pin was a godsend).
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 30, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
It took alot of work and fanagling to get everything in properly.
This person must be pretty unfamiliar with the gun and you probably would have done just as well to install it yourself. I've done 3 of these and they are a piece of cake. There's nothing to specially fit... just drop in parts. Not sure what was so difficult. But yes, the DCAEK kit is a spectacular upgrade to the M&P.

I did a review as well about a year and a half ago:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450987
Old November 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
TheGoldenState

I wish I had the answer. He had it for a few days, and worked like hell on it in front of me.

It works, though. I should have done it long ago!