The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
b money

re-using "tumbled" primers

Ok I'v acquired a few 38spl rounds at an auction, i knew they were reloads but i got them anyways. pulled the bullet, through them in the tumbler, sized and deprimed, now im sitting here starring at a brand new primer, with the only thing "wrong" with it is the fact that it went through the tumbler. because I hate wasting things and hate even more when i have to buy primers; im wondering if I can re-use these without anything bad happing?
Old September 13, 2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Quantrill

Sometimes when primers are tumbled while mounted in the case, a piece of tumbling media will lodge it self in the primer.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
rjrivero

as Qantrill says, as long as you can visually see there is no media stuck in the primer, you can use them.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
t45

B Money, I would spend a little of that money for new primers. Seriously, they are very inexpensive. You do run the risk of media dust contaminating the primer also. Good luck!
Old September 13, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Bluesfan

I had a similar problem once. I accidentally put some primed brass in the tumbler. I loaded the cartridege and they fired just fine. However since your primers are already out of the case i would go ahead and put in new primers.
Old September 13, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
b money

alright guys, I may be cheap but Im not about to mess around when it comes to reloading. In the back of my mind I was saying "just toss em" but I couldnt do it untill i heard it from someon else I guess.

Thanks
Old September 13, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7
chris in va

Hey...load them without powder or bullet and see if they fire anyway! Makes a nice blank.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8
zxcvbob

You should have taken the depriming pin out when you resized them. I'd still use them, but only for plinking ammo -- not something I'd actually have to trust.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:10 PM   #9
b money

Quote:
You should have taken the depriming pin out when you resized them. I'd still use them, but only for plinking ammo -- not something I'd actually have to trust.
i thought about it but I'v read to much about walnut shell media geting in the primer through the flash hole. I just thought that if I could see there was no media in the primer I could use them, but I never thought of the dust. plus the more I thought about it, the more I didnt want to risk my guns or my life for a few dollars.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:55 AM   #10
demigod

Use them. Primers, contrary to popular internut belief, are not these fragile, delicate devices.

I've seen threads on ARFtard where people have tried to kill a primer with all kinds of oils/chemicals/water and they still fire.