The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 26, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1
DaveInPA

Deer hunting on gun club property?

Hi everyone. My gun club allows member to hunt on the grounds during deer season. I think I'd rather do this than hunt on public game lands. However, I do have a question. Is it a bad idea to hunt on gun club property since these deer are likely always hearing gunshots, all year round? Wouldn't this make them more wary and harder to find? Maybe I'm way off base, I don't know. That's why I'm asking
Old March 26, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Pahoo

Dave
Perhaps it all depends on how much noise you make and how often but I belong to two clubs that allow hunting and there doesn't seem to be a big problem. One is a large club that allows anything to be shot and the other is small and limited to trap and skeet. Our biggest problem is that it get too busy with folks during these hunting periods.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 26, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Fremmer

The deer will get used to the gunshots. Just like they'll get used to tractors, trains, cars, and other things.

They'll still know that it's deer season when that rolls around, though.

I'd hunt on the gun club property. It'll probably be much better than public ground.
Old March 26, 2008, 03:19 PM   #4
DaveInPA

I'm going to go scout there this weekend. Once I find a few good spots I'll mark them in my GPS and go back to them every now and then and sit with binoculars and see what I can see.
Old March 26, 2008, 03:41 PM   #5
deanadell

I have seen deer standing in the 100 yd rifle range numerous times.......They don't pay attention to it when it becomes a normal part of their environment, like at a gun club...
Old March 26, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

I wouldn't worry about that DaveInPA. I've sat on the front porch of our club house having a few cold ones with the guys after an all day hunt and watched deer cross fields right in front of us. Thats after our dogs and the dogs of other clubs have ran them all over the place. You never know. If I had a choice I'd hunt club land vs. public land any day.
Old March 26, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Years back, there were commonly some half-dozen does that regularly bedded down during the day--about 50 yards behind my uncle's 100-yard backstop. Shooting never seemed to bother them.

I used to run cattle on some land that was in a flight path from an AFB. Jets would come over at under 2,000 feet and crank on the afterburners. Neither the cows or the deer ever bothered to look up.
Old March 26, 2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Fremmer

Oh yeah, and while I'm thinking about it (sorry for the thread veer)....

Make sure you let us know what rifle/scope/gear you decided to buy, and post pics of the rifle/scope (if possible). Inquiring minds want to know!
Old March 28, 2008, 09:09 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Interesting topic; just this past fall I was shooting at the local range with the '06 the week that deer season opened because I was changing loads and the one I was using shot about 6 inches higher than the one I was running out of. After a 4 shot string I had just set back down at the bench after coming back from the 100 yard butt. 2 does ran by the 300 yard butt while I was loading the clip again. I put the rifle back on the bags and peered through the scope. 2 more does wandered out in front of the 300 butt and headed toward the 200 yard target. I just sat there and shook my head; they weren't afraid of the gunfire at all. Mind you that this is the week AFTER ML week, and I couldn't hammer them because I was about 1/4 mile into the northern zone! I shoulda had the ML and hunted the range the week before. Next year will be different; I'm going to put in some shovel time during ML week and have the smokepole handy; that way I can hammer one of those gutsy flatheads.
Old March 28, 2008, 09:45 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Deer are hunted on military bases, at least up here. CFB Borden north of Toronto is the main non-basic training base. Between the Regs and Militia, there's gunfire and explosions regularly. Everything from rifles to anti-tank rockets. Doesn't bother the great big deer at bit.
The Base Rod and Gun Club takes very good care of our CF deer. To get into the draw, you have to put in a minimum of 8 hours conservation work(everything from cutting browse to tidying up the one of the best trout streams in Ontario) annually.
Game animals are very adaptive. There's a herd living off the end of Pearson Airport and they feed on the grass the idiots who run the airport planted. Said idiots are forever complaining about deer on the runways of the second or third busiest airport in North America.
"...after our dogs...ran them all over the place..." Dogs that run deer tend to get shot up here. Letting your dog run deer is heavily frowned upon.
Old March 28, 2008, 10:28 PM   #11
DaveInPA

Quote:
Oh yeah, and while I'm thinking about it (sorry for the thread veer)....

Make sure you let us know what rifle/scope/gear you decided to buy, and post pics of the rifle/scope (if possible). Inquiring minds want to know!
Just got it today. Got a new Ruger M77 MKII in .270 and a Bushell Elite 3200 3.9x40 scope. Taking her to the range Sunday, report to follow!
Old March 28, 2008, 10:39 PM   #12
Hawg

Down here we have deer hunting with dogs seasons. Anybody that shoots a deer dog has just commited suicide.
Old March 28, 2008, 10:47 PM   #13
wpcexpert

They get used to it.

I was at the range here in Mayflower one morning. As the line was full of shooters flinging lead down the range. The range master calls a cease fire due to the deer that are walking accross the range. 3-4 were at about 150 yds. Some were way up on the hill past 200, but I thought it was the strangest thing.

But after thinking about it...conclusion: They know where to expect the noise, ie, around the ranges. But in the woods, they will act as normal deer do.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 28, 2008, 11:23 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...deer hunting with dogs seasons..." Hi. A "deer dog" is a trained(and no doubt expensive) hunting dog just like any dog trained for hunting. That's not the same as the 'family' dog being allowed to run around the bush with his buddies.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Hawg

Very expensive. Bout the only thing that costs more is a good coon dog.