The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Hoss4x4

Snow Goose Hunting

I am trying to get into hunting more and more, but want to pace myself on spending. For $3.50 I can hunt Snow Geese for two months and was wondering if I really need decoys and calls to start? I relized they insure sucess but was wondering if it can be done without.
Old February 28, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Rigby1962

Never hunted snow geese but have hunted canadian geese, is there much difference? When my brother his friend and I started out hunting them we just picked a place where they would travel a lot. We got a place pretty close to a series of ponds they would use and laid down and waited. No call, no decoys just some camo. We did have some success but the candains where abundant so wasn’t to hard to see a lot of them and get shots. I used a 10ga mag and brother and his friend used 3.5" 12s. Which helped our range. So I would think you could, just a lot easier with some help.
Funny but years ago you couldnt hunt canadains in NJ but now there are so many they are considered a nuisance in the towns around where I use to live.
Old March 3, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Larry Ashcraft

Snows are notorously hard to decoy. Unlike Canadas, they feed in the same fields day after day. You'll need to find where they are feeding and then set up there. Use plenty of cover, keep your face down and don't move until you are ready to shoot.
Old March 5, 2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I've hunted snow geese in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. We made shallow "grave blinds" and used portions of folded white sheets propped up on sticks as decoys in a field near Middle Creek State Game Lands. The geese arrived like clockwork every afternoon. The shooting was fairly easy.

I boned the meat from the breast. My wife fixed it in a pot pie dish with potatoes, water chesnuts, little carrots, and onions. Those were genuine feasts!

Jack
Old March 6, 2008, 01:08 AM   #5
model70fan

"Snows are notorously hard to decoy"
+1
You don't need a bunch of full bodies or anything, I use about 4 dozen sillouettes(I think that's how ya spell it????) and about 200 "rags", just pieces of white nylon/plastic stuff in about 1 1/2ft squares tied to metal stakes. Basically with snows it's a numbers game, throw out a lot of white, keep your head down (as snows generally flock in huge numbers) lots of eyes there to catch ya. Calls don't hurt either, they can be had for pretty cheap and get the job done