The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 16, 2018, 09:24 AM   #26
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder45
Yes, we are talking now. With a 2K budget, you should easily win this auction and check everything on you list. I won one off gun broker last year (sans sights) for about $1200. No regrets.

Jerry
Old September 16, 2018, 10:52 AM   #27
Nathan

I’m mentally pretty hooked on the Kimber Super Grade or maybe the Winchester Super Grade.....I also really like the NECG sights. NECG will put them on and reblue, but that looks like a $1200 upgrade....ouch!

Last edited by Nathan; September 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old September 16, 2018, 01:08 PM   #28
Pathfinder45

A 284, utilizing a substantially fatter case, will very likely reduce magazine capacity. If you look long enough, there will be a pre-64 Winchester that will turn up in 7mm Mauser. But here's a newer one you can buy right now and add sights later: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783669079
Since the features you want are extremely unlikely to be all found on one gun, you must expect to add some of these features to get what you want anyway.
Another consideration, since you will be wanting to use iron sights, is to perhaps have a gunsmith mill a stripper-clip slot in the receiver. A lot of the older model 70 Winchesters came with stripper-clip slots as standard, just like its predecessor, the model 54.
Old September 16, 2018, 01:22 PM   #29
BBarn

Just be careful when looking at Model 70s. One of your requirements was CRF. All of the M70s made for a few decades were push-feed, like the 6.5X55 linked to earlier.
Old September 16, 2018, 01:26 PM   #30
BBarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Did they make them in 284 Winchester?
Very few, in 1963 only.
Old September 16, 2018, 01:59 PM   #31
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn
Just be careful when looking at Model 70s. One of your requirements was CRF. All of the M70s made for a few decades were push-feed, like the 6.5X55 linked to earlier.
Good catch on that. A brief look seemed like it had a claw in picture #1 but I think the jeweling is wore off, but is clearly visible on the left side. Again, the "XTR" stamp on the left side is another indicator that I didn't catch the first time.

Jerry
Old September 16, 2018, 11:50 PM   #32
bamaranger

swivels

Oh yeah, .....very nice indeed, thanks.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:12 AM   #33
Polinese

The Alaskan model 70 comes with irons but is only in 30-06 though IMO that makes it even more classic.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:55 AM   #34
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya53 View Post
Yes, we are talking now. With a 2K budget, you should easily win this auction and check everything on you list. I won one off gun broker last year (sans sights) for about $1200. No regrets.

Jerry
Bolt action huh Well I have a 1903 Springfield in 30-06 completely custom but $2000 would only let you look at it! Weight's right at 8# with a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield scope! I've also got that mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55. I'd sell it to you for $2000 and throw in the scope for free, new 2-7x Redfield. Of course I only paid under $800 for the rifle brand new and I think they still go for about the same today. Really really nice rifle! If you want a short action just look for a 260 Rem or much easier to find a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Featherweigh in 6.5x55 is a long action! If you weren't happy with it then your being to fussy, really really nice rifle!
Old September 17, 2018, 11:20 AM   #35
Pathfinder45

If 30-'06 was on the table and if I felt like I had to have a brand new rifle, it would be the model 70 Alaskan. But that may be getting too far beyond the OP's parameters. But then, the model 70 wasn't even made in a short action until relatively recently and he mentions some post-war calibers that also are outside the pale of his question: "Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?"
To my thinking, then, a 7mm08 would not be acceptable, but the 7mmx57 would be. Likewise, a 308 wouldn't be acceptable, but a 300 Savage would.
But it's Nathan's dream-rifle, so we can hardly put our own stamp on it. This is the kind of stuff that keeps gunsmiths and custom rifle builders in business.
I think he should look for a pre-64 Featherweight in 257 Roberts or 7x57, but like I said, it's his dream. We all have our own.
Old September 17, 2018, 11:38 AM   #36
Roamin_Wade

I work at a Gun store. As I was reading your list of attributes you were wanting, and more specifically the slick bolt, I was thinking of the Winchester M70. Almost all the other bolt action rifles have bolts that are fast but they are loose. They don’t have the smooth, almost hydraulic, feel to them like the Winchester does. I believe in your price range you can indeed get a super grade as was aforementioned by someone above. I think a Weatherby might come in second place. The ONLY drawback about the new Winchester’s is that they are now made in Portugal. Their lever guns are from Japan and their shotguns are made in Turkey, all on the same equipment they all used to be made with here but hell, Brownings, Weatherby’s and a few other top shelf rifles are made in other places as well. If it has to be American made the Remington and Ruger are still made here and are still quality Guns but I don’t think Ruger is making a Walnut stock bolt action this year.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Pathfinder45

"Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?"
In the present tense, I'm not so sure, since the question implies made in America. But in the past, the correct answer is Winchester, absolutely. Honorable mention goes to Springfield, etc., but Winchester set the pace. There are really only two bolt-action calibers at the top of the most classic list: 30-'06 Springfield and 270 Winchester. There are several other good and classic calibers, but they're riding in the back seat. I prefer 270, but if I had to take a second choice, it would be 30-'06. Still, the 257 Roberts is as American as Apple Pie, and kicks less than the other two.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:30 PM   #38
kraigwy

Quote:
Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?
Model 70 Winchester
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 17, 2018, 01:22 PM   #39
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin_Wade View Post
I work at a Gun store. As I was reading your list of attributes you were wanting, and more specifically the slick bolt, I was thinking of the Winchester M70. Almost all the other bolt action rifles have bolts that are fast but they are loose. They don’t have the smooth, almost hydraulic, feel to them like the Winchester does. I believe in your price range you can indeed get a super grade as was aforementioned by someone above. I think a Weatherby might come in second place. The ONLY drawback about the new Winchester’s is that they are now made in Portugal. Their lever guns are from Japan and their shotguns are made in Turkey, all on the same equipment they all used to be made with here but hell, Brownings, Weatherby’s and a few other top shelf rifles are made in other places as well. If it has to be American made the Remington and Ruger are still made here and are still quality Guns but I don’t think Ruger is making a Walnut stock bolt action this year.
All of the Standard Hawkeyes on their website are listed as having American Walnut Stocks. Am I missing something?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old September 17, 2018, 04:33 PM   #40
the possum

Quote:
No one does what you want currently, you'll have to find a Pre-64 Winchester M70 FWT in .243 or .308 to get what you're wanting. The wood may or may not have the figure you're looking for. That or buy a current model M70 swap out the stock for a custom to get enough drop to align with sights you'll have installed, add a low power scope with a small objective lens to not need a cheek riser, and put it in a set of Leupold QR/QRW rings and bases and you'll have what you want.
I have a Win Super Grade Mod 70, and the stock already has perfect drop for iron sights, even though the rifle doesn't have them. My cheek is practically hovering over the stock to see through a scope.
Old September 17, 2018, 05:08 PM   #41
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer
I've also got that mod 70 featherweight in 6.5x55. I'd sell it to you for $2000 and throw in the scope for free, new 2-7x Redfield. Of course I only paid under $800 for the rifle brand new and I think they still go for about the same today.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781248526

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785438920

You still have the box for that bad boy classic featherweight?

Jerry
Old September 18, 2018, 03:57 AM   #42
J.G. Terry

What is the yard stick?

What is the yard stick for modern customs. There were earlier classics that greatly influenced modern classics. What about the post WW1 custom rifles. These would be custom made to order Mauser's and Springfield's. Workmanship on top specimens was spectacular. Today's rifles are classic styled. How many custom features originally found on those early custom rifles are found on today's classics? Could the Model 30 Remington and Flat bolt Ruger's be added to our factory list?

Last edited by J.G. Terry; September 18, 2018 at 04:05 AM. Reason: SOS
Old September 18, 2018, 07:31 AM   #43
m&p45acp10+1

I would go for a CZ American. I have one in .221 Fireball. It rivals many for looks, and accuracy that cost many times more than what it does. An awesome rifle at any price. With a plus that it is at a very good price point, and does not sacrifice any quality, or fit and finish to arrive at its price.
Old September 18, 2018, 11:33 AM   #44
eastbank

one of my favorite American classic,s is the remington 722 in 257 roberts-300 savage -308 Winchester. I own five and have found them to be honest hard working rifles, pretty plain with solid performance over the years with out any problems and with the right loads will shoot MOA. I do have a Winchester featherweight SS walnut stock CF in .270 that gets left at home 90 percent of the time, no sights. but they could be installed by a good gunsmith for not a lot of money. good luck on your hunting with what ever rifle you decide on.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:51 PM   #45
COSteve

My vote for an All American classic is my 1959 Winchester Model 88 in .308. Talk about classic American; a levergun is America. Add to that the absolutely stunning lines and beautiful wood of this pristine rifle and it's hands down my favorite hunter. And chambered in .308 and fitted with a Revolution 3-9 scope, it's good for anything in North America.

Old September 18, 2018, 05:10 PM   #46
jmstr

To me, the quintessential American Game Hunting rifle will be a lever action- .30-30, .300sav or .308.

Winchester 94 or Savage 99.

Nothing that you identified, but you got away from my idea of the classic American Game Hunting rifle when you narrowed it to bolt action.

In bolt action, the 7x57 Mauser cartridge in my mothers' old 1895 Mauser is hard to beat: sporterized, with scope- and costing less than the amount you mentioned.

My Savage 99EG [.300Sav] cost $400, with scope. My 99F [.308] cost $500 with scope.

But, I live on the west coast, and doubt I'd take a shot at anything farther than 200 yards at most [and most under 120 yards].
Old September 18, 2018, 06:11 PM   #47
Nunya53

If this thread is moving away from the bolt action, then I might suggest a Winchester 1895 in .405 but that doesn't fit the OP's bill....this thread will probably be closed soon....

https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Acti...358&ca=5000117

Jerry

Last edited by Nunya53; September 18, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old September 18, 2018, 09:03 PM   #48
Nathan

Well, Montana Rifle Company answered me back:

Quote:
Hi Nathan,
Thank you for thinking of us !
Currently, due to production demands, we are sticking to our standard specs as shown on the website.
That is disappointing since their website reads:

Quote:
Will customize Production Rifles through the Custom Shop
I get it though and appreciate the honesty....no need to order and wait 2 years for sights to be installed.
Old September 18, 2018, 10:11 PM   #49
Nunya53

I know what you mean about Montana Rifle Co....I was interested in an Extreme X3 in 260 Rem (one of their catalog rifles). Of the two dealers in the state, I went to the closest one and was told it would be a minimum of 6 months. I had my LGS that I do 99% of my business with check and they were quoted pretty much full MSRP and a minimum of 6 months. I ended going with a Ruger FTW rifle...

Jerry
Old September 19, 2018, 12:53 PM   #50
dgludwig

Aside from the inlaid sling swivel bases, the discontinued Ruger 77 MarkII (RS variant) rifle came with most of the things you want, including a 3-position safety, "slick" controlled-feed type bolt action with a fixed extractor, oil-finished, "classic-styled", hand-checkered stock, blued finish and factory iron sights. Chamberings included .243 Win., 6mm Rem., 25-06 Rem., .270 Win., and .308 Win.
Mine is chambered in 7x64 Brenneke and has proven to be accurate and reliable.