The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2018, 08:10 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

8 round mag for my Sig 230 SL

I found a company that is selling Mec-gar Bersa mags that they modified for the Sig 230/232 models. They cut the floorplate for the European style mag catch. I emailed them, and they claim these have been function tested in various Sig 230 models.

They were 1/2 the cost that OEM SIgn 230 mags are going for, so I took a chance and bought one.

If it works with eight rounds I will be a happy camper. But it is a jamomatic, I can get my money back, or just use it for the range.

Will report back when I get it. They said that the original Bersa only holds seven but the Mec-gar holds 8.
8 rounds and one in the chamber will be great!

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; September 11, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old September 12, 2018, 04:25 AM   #2
PSP

Keep us posted. What company is this?
Old September 12, 2018, 08:34 AM   #3
HighValleyRanch

Robertsons trading. They advertise both on fleabay and gunbroker.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:15 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Well it was tricky, but got it working.
I received it today, and right away, there was a problem. It did load 8 rounds, tight but worked.
But when I loaded the magazine into the Sig 230 SL, the slide would not chamber because the slide was locked back by the slide catch. (On the Sig, there is not slide release. It is activated internally by the mag follower only).

So i determined that the Mec-Gar magazine body was causing the slide catch to activate every time, regardless of whether it was empty or loaded.

The dilemma was that if I tried to alter the magazine, my ability to return the mag due to defect or false advertising would void any return policy that fleabay has. So what to do, take a chance and have an eight round magazine or return the darn thing and get my money back, but alway wonder if I had just tried to fix it! Well, it only took five minutes to make the decision and off the the shop for the dremel!

Okay, I got it working! I like to tinker, and just had to give it a try, even if I lost the money. The problem is like I said. The cutout on the left forward shoulder of the Mec-Gar magazine is too high so it activates the slide catch. I confirmed this by stripping the mecgar magazine of all innards and inserted the magazine and could watch the slide catch be moved upwards (with the SIG slide off).
So I took a dremel with a pointed grinder bit and hollowed out the left magazine shoulder like the Sig OEM magazine is. I did this until by inserting the empty magazine body, it would not raise the Sig slide stop catch.
I then put the Mec-Gar magazine back together and checked first to see that the magazine follower would lock the slide back, which it did, then inserted some rounds into the magazine to confirm that it would release the slide and chamber which it did.
Of course I will test it throughly at the range this weekend to make sure it all works.

NOTE:
To clarify, this is a Mec-Gar magazine for the Berso Thunderer that Robertson's trading modified to fit the Sig 230 and 232 models. What they did was to remove a little at the base of the magazine so that the European mag catch could work. The magazine is slightly extended, but there is a stop on the mag body so it won't slide too high. The magazine is very smooth and well made and made in italy, high quality with a metal follower, but plastic base plate. I cost me 38.00 as opposed to the going 80.00 price for the OEM Sig mags.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; September 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Triggernosis

Thanks for that report.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:51 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

working flawlessly

UPDATE:
The Bersa Thunder 8 round magazines are working great.
The one I posted about I paid 39.00 on fleabay, but the seller increase the price after that. I had to do some adjustements as outlined above.

But now I find that I can purchase new unaltered Mec-Gar Bersa Thunder 8 rounds magazines for 23.00 on fleabay, so I just bought my third one. I was able to alter the magazines to work in about ten minutes time.

Since the OEM Sig 7 round magazines are going for 70.00 and up, this is a huge savings and you get one extra round to boot. 8 plus one in the chamber makes me a happy camper!

The Mec-Gar magazines are high quality with polished stainess bodies and metal followers, made in Italy. Very smooth working.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05562.JPG (201.5 KB, 96 views)
Old September 29, 2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Triggernosis

Thanks for passing along that info!
Old September 30, 2018, 05:39 AM   #8
PSP

Thanks for the update. I wonder if these Mec-gar mags hold .32 acp as well and if so, do they hold 9 rounds?
Old September 30, 2018, 08:15 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

PSP, I just loaded one with 9 rounds of .32 acp Winchester FMJ.
I don't have a .32 Sig (wish I did!LOL) but it looks like they would work.

If you want, send me 25.00 and your address (via paypal and PM) and I can make one up for you to try. I know that at the least it would work for your .380's collection......or I can just post how to do it for yourself.
Old September 30, 2018, 07:51 PM   #10
PSP

Thanks for testing the .32 acp and the quick reply. I may take you up on the offer of the magazine.