The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2011, 10:12 PM   #26
rdmallory

I was going to order one of the balls from Adam when I ran across one at Uncle Lees. I drilled it my self with a 5/8 drill bit and stick it on there. The ones he makes are threaded and there was no need to thread it for a Lee press as it glues on.

Quote:
Pro Auto-Disk did not work with the Classic Turret
Mine works fine. and "CrustyFN" also has one in his photo.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:33 AM   #27
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmallory
Quote:
Pro Auto-Disk did not work with the Classic Turret
Mine works fine. and "CrustyFN" also has one in his photo.
Oops, my mistake. I meant to type that they "did not know the Pro Auto-Disk did work with the Classic Turret", or "thought the Pro Auto-Disk did not work with the Classic Turret". I could not decide which phrasing to use, and so wound up with a little of both and reversed the meaning.

But I knew it would work.

To their credit, they did ship me a Pro Auto-Disk and the upgrade kit for the one and did not charge shipping.

Lost Sheep
Old January 25, 2011, 03:33 PM   #28
floydster

My mounting block system, I can move the presses to many different locations on the bench, all holes correspond to each other.
Works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 001.jpg (243.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 003.jpg (234.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 004.jpg (239.4 KB, 36 views)
Old January 25, 2011, 03:37 PM   #29
floydster

Afew more pic's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 005.jpg (237.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 002.jpg (233.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting blocks 006.jpg (252.4 KB, 28 views)
Old January 25, 2011, 03:53 PM   #30
Doodlebugger45

I have been busy experimenting with my Classic Turret as well since I got it. The biggest problem I have found is that I used up all my brass too fast! It's been unusually cold here this winter so I had a hard time shooting all the loads I made. But I finally got some more .44 mag and .45 Colt brass in and managed to shoot some of the new loads, so now I'm good to go.

I did have a few of the .45 Colt loads that I left the primers sitting too high. The priming system works well, but I didn't have the "feel" down at first and didn't put enough pressure on the handle when seating them. Just a thousandth or so too high and it will lock up the cylinder on my .45 Colt. I might have had a few that way on the initial .44 mag loads too for all I know, but that revolver isn't as sensitive perhaps. Anyway, no similar problems since then.

I did try it on some rifle cartridges as well. I loaded some .243, 7 mm mag, and .325 WSM just to see if the resulting rounds measured up in terms of consistency. They seem to be equal to those loaded on my single stage press. However, unlike the revolver rounds, there was no real time savings for the rifle loads. But the time is not a big deal to me for rifles. It's rare that I load up more than 25-30 rifle cartridges in one sitting anyway. But I wanted to find out if it would work, since my reloading bench is not really set up to have both presses mounted at the same time. I might change that, but for now, it's nice to know that the turret will work for the rifles just fine.
Old January 25, 2011, 05:19 PM   #31
amamnn

I would almost have accused Crusty of sneaking into my reloading room for that pic had it not been for the #3 ball and the lack of the Forster co-ax to the left of the Classic Turret. I think no one has mentioned one of the great things about the Lee turret design: While center pinned (umbrella) turret presses of all brands and quality flex away from the axis during use, therefor yielding ammunition which has been formed off axis to some unknown degree, the Lee does not.

While serious target competitors will not be buying ANY turret presses, those folks using the Lee design have a better chance of building more concentric ammo than those using umbrella turrets, and if you believe Corbin and Forster and those who know how C and O presses are formed, maybe even more concentric than those presses.............
Old January 25, 2011, 05:35 PM   #32
BombthePeasants

Floydster, I love the look of your plates. However, I am not a handyman by any stretch of the imagination, and I needed something more weatherproof. In the future, I hope to move my operations indoors, and then I might make/have something more like your setup.

To Doodlebugger45, I am brainstorming how I might load my Garand rounds on the press. As of now, I have a system set up like so:

I use my old single-stage as a dedicated decapping station, w/ a Lee Universal Decapping Die. All cases picked up at the range go through this FIRST, then I tumble it all. With the rifle cases, I then use the single stager again to resize, and then trim them. For the turret, I'm thinking of trading for a second set of Lee .30-06 dies, so in the turret I'd have alternating bullet seater-FCD-bullet seater-FCD dies. So only the last half of the process would occur on the LCT press, but it would still be a little bit faster, no?

EDIT: Wait, I'm forgetting charging cases...I guess I'd do that step off-press still...
Old January 25, 2011, 05:48 PM   #33
Doodlebugger45

Yep, it's that dang trimming step that kinda disrupts the flow for rifles. That and the powder charging, assuming you want to weigh the charges.

For me (and I'll admit to being lazy when it comes to some things), here's how I have been doing it so far on the turret.

I tumble the old brass with the old primers still in them rather than decapping separately.

I take the tumbled case into the turret and deprime, resize, and re-prime in one step on the turret.

Then I take the primed case and trim them (yeah, I know some folks don't like that but it works on my trimmer).

Charge each case with powder and set them in loading block.

Seat them on the turret. I don't FCD for rifles, but it would be easy enough to do so with the turret. Actually, that right there would indeed save handling the cases one less time.

No big deal though. I have to be in a fussy mood before I load rifle rounds anyway. I weigh, measure, peer at, ponder, and fuss over a case needlessly when doing rifles. It might be different if I was doing 200 instead of 20 at a time.
Old January 25, 2011, 06:18 PM   #34
CrustyFN

Quote:
I would almost have accused Crusty of sneaking into my reloading room for that pic had it not been for the #3 ball and the lack of the Forster co-ax to the left of the Classic Turret.
I do have a Lyman 4500 mounted to the left, it also has a three ball.

Old January 26, 2011, 11:44 AM   #35
rbf420

i first got a lyman tmag 2... then my buddy got a lee classic turret. so i returned my tmag 2 to midwayusa (excellent return policy, it was like 5 months latter) and got me my own lee turret. next to my rcbs powder thrower, this has been my best reloading purchase.