The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
foghead

.223 loading question...

Howdy all...

I'm loading up .223 rounds for a Mini-14. Brass has been polished, sized, trimmed, and generally prepped for loading. Loading with Win sm rifle primers, and 26gr of Win 748. Projectile is (I'm guessing here on the manufacture) Win PSP that's 55gr (weight I'm certain of) and has a crimp ring. Overall projectile length is about 0.712" with the crimp ring being at about 0.265" measured to the center of the crimp ring from the rear of the bullet.

My questions - my 2006 Winchester reloading guide says that the round should be 2.120" OAL when done... which seems short to me... I loaded one to the crimp and it was about 2.190" to 2.185" as a length. This looks fine to me as the Wolf and factory Remington ammo I have is around that same length or a little bit longer.

- Should I load to the crimp and call it good using the same 26gr of powder?
- Should I load a bullet just until it's seated and load it into the chamber of the gun and measure the chamber length? These rounds are for this gun explicitly.
Should I load PAST the crimp ring as per the book? They don't 'look' right...

or

Am I possibly looking at either 'seconds' or mixed batch rounds that have different crimp ring locations?

I imagine a slightly greater length would be acceptable as case pressures would stay lower and the gun would still eat them...

Thanks in advance for the help...
Old January 7, 2008, 10:45 PM   #2
hivel37

I load for a Mini 14 also. Making sure the trim length is ok, I just seat to the cannelure (crimp ring) with a light crimp and let it go at that. As long as they fit the magazine, it shouldn't be a problem if they're out slightly longer.

Since I don't expect moa, guess I don't worry about chamber dimensions alot.
Old January 10, 2008, 01:41 AM   #3
totalloser

I second that. Just load to the cannelure. Good load! I use it with 55 gr Hornady fmjbt and experience very good accuracy. Just a note, but Speer says to use a magnum primer with this powder in that load. I don't, I use cci #41. Seems to work fine, and Lee doesn't say anything about a magnum primer with the 748. This is THE Mini-14 load for older 1 in 10 barrels in my opinion.
Old January 10, 2008, 02:20 AM   #4
steve4102

OAL (COL) is Rifle and Bullet specific, not manual. The listed OAL (COL) in manuals is only there to inform you what length they used. It is not intended as an absolute or written in stone. As long as your round fits into the mag and the bullet is not seated so long as to be pig-jammed into the lands you will be fine at whatever OAL you choose. Just remember to start low and work up.
In my experience with the Ruger Mini's the throat is extremely long. If your loaded rounds fit into the mag and cycle properly you should have no problems.
Old January 10, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
foghead

Thanks to all...

To the cannelure it is...

Oddly, the Winchester loading supplement just calls for one of their small rifle primers, not one of their magnum small rifle jobbers. I'll get a more complete manual when funds permit.

In any event, I have loaded up 40 and will be taking them to an indoor range in the next week or so to see how they fare on paper at 50yds.