The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2020, 11:56 PM   #1
Prof Young

Experiment with Lee Auto Drum.

Loaders:

I've been using a Lee Auto Drum for a long time now. Some where along the way I got the idea that drum type powder measures need to stay half full or more to throw consistent loads. Well, I was getting down to the end of my powder and my bullets. I was loading 9mm and throwing 5.5 grains of Accurate #5. As powder neared the bottom I started to weigh the powder every fifth load. The drum was nearly empty by the time I ran out of bullets and it was throwing the 5.5 grains just fine. It did have a .1 variation on occasion, but it does that with a full drum.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 16, 2020, 05:50 AM   #2
TJB101

Same on my end ... was very happy that I was getting very consistent throws right to the last drop.
Old February 16, 2020, 10:44 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

I am really pleased with the accuracy of my lee auto drum. I mainly used it for rifle rounds and find it pretty consistent.
For example, my go to plinking load for 223 rem is a 55gr Hornady FMJ BT over 25.5 gr of Varget. The auto drum throws charges within .2gr which is fine by me.
I've only had my auto drum for 6 months or so, but so far I give it two thumbs up.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:56 AM   #4
mikld

Thanks Professor. I like to see real life, personal tests, rather than "I read on the internet...", I saw it on youtube..." or "I was listening to a group of old fellers at the gun shop...".
Old February 16, 2020, 03:04 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Is AA#5 as fine as AA#9 is? I tried #9 in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure last night and while it was accurate +/- .2 grains, it leaked powder and was tough to throw a charge due to the leakage.

I got the AA#9 mainly for .327, but figured it also would do well in .357 and 10mm, which I would use the Lee Auto Drum to charge those with.
Old February 17, 2020, 01:25 AM   #6
Prof Young

Have never used #9 so . . .

Sorry Truthteller, I have never used Accurate #9 so I can't tell you. I will say that when I use really fine powders it does leak a little tiny bit.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 17, 2020, 12:00 PM   #7
mikld

My PPM sometimes leaks with fine ball powders WC820 (don't use any AA9). I can tighten the adjusting screw a bit on the drum and the leak usually stops.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:11 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

That's why I don't use Accurate pistol powders. You can cut down on leakage with the Lee PPM by lapping the drum in the housing with a fast cutting buffing compound. By lapping and properly adjusting the tension screw you can eliminate about 90% of the leakage. Or for a few bucks more get a Lee Deluxe PPM, no leakage at all and does a great job.