The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2018, 03:57 PM   #26
AKexpat

Quote:
Shoot it first. I'm betting it will shoot just fine.
That is good advice from Hawg.

Let's go with the premise that you are stuck with the pistol.

I believe you have never stated the manufacturer or the date code.

It may be an older Pietta, but I am going to assume it is an Uberti.

The cylinder/chambers look like they can be cleaned up satisfactorily.

Even if it shoots well, you still might have an inkling to get a new barrel to salvage your purchase.

VTI Gunparts has them new for $120 plus shipping in 6.5", 5.5", and 4.5".

I emailed them as far as them being in stock a day ago and the 6.5" is in stock (1).

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...ti+1862+Police

New parts like this always have a stiff price tag, but so do appliance and automotive parts. That's how they make their money.

I checked Ebay and no luck other than a 3.5" barrel.

If you procure one, you can use the load lever, rammer, screws, lever catch, wedge, and wedge screw from the original barrel.

If it is an Uberti, you will also need to check the arbor length vs the barrel lug arbor recess for proper fit. Uberti arbors are notoriously short. I know I have harped about this before (probably ad nauseum to other forum members).

If you have questions about this situation, I would contact the pro: Mike at

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

I hope this helps. I am an 1851 Navy .36 "type" guy and not a Colt 1860 Army/1861 Navy/1862 Pocket Police afficianado, but I know a bit about them.

Good luck with your situation, sir!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 11, 2018, 10:23 PM   #27
TruthTellers

To make up for this whole black powder revolver debacle, I decided to buy the Pietta Sheriff that's on sale at Cabela's right now. I also had a gift card and it brought the total price down to $120.
Old March 12, 2018, 01:19 PM   #28
Hawg

A Pietta Police is simply a navy with a short barrel and fluted cylinder. A Uberti Police is a five shot .36 based on the 49 frame like the originals.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:52 PM   #29
AKexpat

Hawg says:

Quote:
A Pietta Police is simply a navy with a short barrel and fluted cylinder. A Uberti Police is a five shot .36 based on the 49 frame like the originals.
The Colt 1862 Pocket Police .36 is based upon the Pocket pistol with a rebated cylinder and a cut water table in barrel lengths of 3.5" (rare), 4.5", 5.5", and 6.5", using the 1861 smooth Navy barrel/load lever in smaller lengths.

The Colt 1862 Pocket Navy .36 (some say 1865) is based upon the Pocket pistol and has the same rebated .36 cylinder/cut water table but with the octagon barrel and 1851 type load lever as seen with the 1851 Navy pistols.

When Sam Colt died in 1862, I believe this was an attempt by his widow and heirs to use up parts inventory. After the ACW we see the Colt company trying to clean up inventory with cartridge "open top" conversions of the 1851 Navy at least 2 years prior to the introduction of the 1873 SAA.

I have no idea what Pietta and Uberti, nor Pedersoli, are selling these days.

My guess is that Pietta has no problem producing fantasy guns, and although I like Pietta for price and quality, some of their stuff is just too far out.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 12, 2018, 04:38 PM   #30
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
It's the New Model Army 1858 Sheriff in .44, not the Pietta 1862 that is in now way a repro of the real 1862 Pocket model.
Old March 12, 2018, 04:49 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
It's the New Model Army 1858 Sheriff in .44, not the Pietta 1862 that is in now way a repro of the real 1862 Pocket model.
In your original post you said 62 Police.

Quote:
The Colt 1862 Pocket Police .36 is based upon the Pocket pistol with a rebated cylinder and a cut water table in barrel lengths of 3.5" (rare), 4.5", 5.5", and 6.5", using the 1861 smooth Navy barrel/load lever in smaller lengths.
You are correct I just didn't feel like doing all that typing.
Old March 12, 2018, 05:33 PM   #32
noelf2

Quote:
It's the New Model Army 1858 Sheriff in .44, not the Pietta 1862
Wise choice Sir. Wise choice!
Old March 12, 2018, 06:09 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
In your original post you said 62 Police.

You are correct I just didn't feel like doing all that typing.
Oh, thought you were talking about the NMA I got at Cabela's last night. my bad.
Old March 25, 2018, 10:31 AM   #34
BP_Fanatic

If interested I can sell new Uberti Colt Police 1862 barrel + cylinder to you. Cylinder has some rotating marks, but it has never fired. Lenght of the barrel is 5.5. Total cost with shipping would be approx 115 USD. These parts belonged to brand new Uberti Police revolver which had cylinder timing issues.