The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2016, 12:50 PM   #1
ocharry

moss 930

hi guys,,my daughter wants to go deer hunting this year,,,so she buys a new moss 930 combo,,,slug barrel and shot barrel,,,,got a good deal on it,,,with wood

12 rounds into shooting this thing and the forearm splits ,,,right up the middle,,gun dealer calls moss and they send new forearm,,,all is good,,,i think,,,,put the new wood on,,,5 slugs and 15 shot shells later,,,forearm splits again,,,,this time into 3 pieces

i feel like a but head here,,,i read reviews and stuff this thing gets pretty good reviews,,,i told her if she could get a good deal it would or should work fine for her,,,,

now she wants her money back and its 8 days to opener in ohio,,, cant really blame her for that

this was supposed to be a father daughter good memory hunt,,,her fist time,,,how could i say no,,,at 41,,,i have to ask her what took you so long??? lol

what you guys think?? bad choice or something else

ocharry
Old November 20, 2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Virginian

Something is obviously wrong. You need to find out what, because continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. Probably need to send it to Mossberg, which I realise is a major bummer timing wise. I know a couple of people with them and to the best of my knowledge they have never had a problem.
Old November 20, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3
ocharry

I agree,,, something is wrong,,,,, first time,,,, maybe a bad piece of wood,,, secound time ,,, something is wrong,,,, less than 50 rounds,,,,5 slugs 42 shot shells

dealer has it now,,, she said she wants here money back,,, lol,,,, ok,, thats your call,
dealer said he would call mossberg and his rep

so we wait and see,,,, but I dont think she will be using a mossberg this time

thx
ocharry
Old November 20, 2016, 04:27 PM   #4
jmr40

You may not have assembled the gun correctly.
Old November 21, 2016, 12:29 AM   #5
ocharry

Can't speak to that....I'm in Missouri and she is in Ohio

I will say the first forearm split the way it came from mossburg

So...I'm guessing it was together OK

Dealer has it now

Ocharry
Old November 21, 2016, 07:54 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

You get what you pay for!
Old November 21, 2016, 08:56 AM   #7
g.willikers

More than likely Mossberg got a batch of bad forearms from their supplier.
Maybe if they send another one, it will be from a different batch.
When I had my auto shop, I got an entire shipment of bad spark plugs from one of the major makers.
Not a single one would fire.
It happens to the best.
Old November 21, 2016, 12:21 PM   #8
ocharry

not sure about mossberg being a bad gun,,,this model had pretty good reviews from the guys that own them....but...i wanted her to buy a remington,,,but,,, it wasnt my money,,,and when she got to shoot it she said it didnt kick her very hard,,,that is what i was looking for,,,she didnt want to spend 1000+ for a winchester or browning,,,,maybe a beretta ,,,,dont know she picked it and i read reviews and thought it would work for her

and i thought about them having a bad batch of wood come in,,,stuff like that does happen,,,,

i put 3 egr valves on my car before i got a good one,,,,had original code,,,then another code and another code and then finally one that worked like it should

anyway good bad or indifferent she doesnt trust it now and wants her money back,,,,

i still think there is something wrong with it,,,and i dont want her to get hurt because there might be something wrong with it and the next time it could be something different or bad,,,not worth it

ocharry
Old November 21, 2016, 12:21 PM   #9
dreaming

Has anyone called Mossberg and talked with someone about this?
Old November 21, 2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Maybe you can get a plastic one to get by with until the problem is resolved-----at least it won't crack.
-------Metallica
Old November 21, 2016, 10:38 PM   #11
ocharry

Yes gun store called them and they want it back

Then daughter called and they want it back and turnaround will be by sat.....

Problem is now she dont trust it

LGS told her he would give her money back.....so...I guess she is happy...we will see

Ocharry
Old November 22, 2016, 01:09 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Sounds like there's a gas leak somewhere. Vs a bad bunch of forestocks.
The slug gun her only option for this year?
Old November 23, 2016, 11:39 AM   #13
ocharry

no,,ohio also can use rifle,,,,straight wall case,,,but when i lived there it was shotgun only

this was her call on this,,,she wanted a shotgun too(for shot shells) and this kinda killed two birds with one stone,,lol

i have killed a LOT of deer with a slug(old style,,,not the new fancy smancy ons,,,lol)

i never felt like i was handicapped,,,,could i make a 100 yrd shot,,,prolly,,,but i never did,,,some were 60 or less,,,most was up close and personal,,,less than 30

but dont matter gun is back at mossburg,,,and dealer said he would refund her money

i for one would like to know what is wrong with it tho

ocharry
Old November 23, 2016, 01:34 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...wanted a shotgun too..." Smart girl. "I want one." is the best reason to buy anything. At least she'll still be able to hunt.
Still think there was a gas leak. Happens with lever actions, et al. Blows the bottom of the action out along with the forestock.