The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 28, 2020, 07:55 PM   #26
shoebox1.1

I can say this... I will buy a bunch of SL’s if they come back and I also am going to try and make some of the jox type loaders Or my rendition. I don’t have time or money to wait on his. Nice guy and nice product but I’ve got to “give a go” at it myself
Old June 29, 2020, 10:54 AM   #27
Slopemeno

Safariland Comp-IIs here as well. Mine are over 35 years old and still going strong.
Old July 11, 2020, 12:19 AM   #28
labnoti

It can depend on the revolver. For example, Safariland are good speedloaders but they don't make one for every revolver. They're limited to 5 and 6 round models. I don't know that much about SL Variant, but if they ever were to become available, have they ever made one at all that fits your revolver?

I have in revolver-specific classes where a lot of people were shooting all kinds of different revolver equipment. The Speed-beez frequently come-apart. They usually don't break, but they become disassembled and have to be carefully put back together. HKS are popular because they're made in a lot of models that fit a lot of revolvers and they're inexpensive so their purchasers can afford a lot of them, which hopefully won't be necessary for "combat" but sure helps for practice which is a good thing if you intend to do combat.

My personal favorite option by far is moon-clips. They're so brilliant I never feel any desire to shoot a magazine fed handgun.

If you don't buy a revolver that accepts moon-clips, you can send your cylinder to TK Custom and they will cut it for you. Unlike Safariland and SL Variant, you can speed reload 5, 6, 7, and 8 shot revolvers. Order a good 30 to 50 moon-clips sized specifically to the groove on the brand of brass you use (there's no SAAMI spec for revolver brass grooves). You'll never want a speedloader again and you might not even like magazine guns.

I will say that I haven't seen 9 and 10 shot moonclips. So if you have one of those guns, it's probably not for combat, but Speedbeez.
Old July 12, 2020, 05:49 PM   #29
44caliberkid

The one you have practiced with, many, many times.