The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2020, 09:21 PM   #51
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
I didn't have buck tag but my wife did, we saw bucks we'd never seen before at my place, mid-morning my wife shot a buck three times with her 7-08 and when he finally made it to fence and looked like he might jump it I gave one with my 7 short mag and dropped him. 
How is "I didn't have a buck tag" a like license? The only way you could have a like license is to have a buck tag for the exact same GMU. You would also have to claim that buck you shot as your deer with the carcass tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
I had what's called a like license, perfectly legal to kill an already mortally wounded animal to prevent loss
And I get accused of "changing the narrative"!

Last edited by taylorce1; August 2, 2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Agree, but the argument carried far enough ends up at a pea shooter.
Agreed, and if you carry it far enough in the other direction, it ends up with nuclear weapons.

Both are on the far side of ridiculous.

Quote:
we all know the .300 Whisper will not do what the .30-378 Wby will do.
If the question is "will it kill an elk?" The answer is yes.

Beyond that, you're talking specifics and comparing abilities in differing situations. There is no "deader" than dead. How much work and effort the hunter has to do in order to make that elk dead varies considerably with the tool used. Pointed stick, bow& arrow, muzzle loader, light, medium, heavy rifle handgun, rock, knife, or any other tool you use, all can, and have killed elk. The difference is the effort needed and what the range of optimal conditions is.

Nobody needs a powerful magnum rifle to kill an elk, but they sure give you a lot more options than other tools.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #53
reynolds357

Dead is dead. How quickly incapacitation occurs is what I am concerned with.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #54
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
Dead is dead. How quickly incapacitation occurs is what I am concerned with.
That has more to do with shot placement and bullet used than amount of powder burned. Regardless of cartridge used you have to understand the limitations and or abilities of their cartridge of choice.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #55
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
That has more to do with shot placement and bullet used than amount of powder burned. Regardless of cartridge used you have to understand the limitations and or abilities of their cartridge of choice.
Shot placement is a given. Deer dont go down and stay if you shoot them in the hoof. I use proper bullet for application. Powder burned has everything to do with incapacitation. I have shot deer with 7-30 Waters and with 7 Rum. No comparison in the two. I have shot deer with a .30-30 and with a .30/338 Lapua. No comparison.
I have shot deer with a 6.5x55 and a 6.5 x 300 Wby. Again, no comparison.
All well placed shots. All bullets matched to the game and velocity fired at.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #56
Colorado Redneck

These "discussions" almost always end up being more about opinion and personal preference than answering the question posed in the beginning. Usually interesting, seldom useful.
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #57
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
These "discussions" almost always end up being more about opinion and personal preference than answering the question posed in the beginning.
The OP asked for opinions.

I'd say he got some.