The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM   #26
gaseousclay

Quote:
I cut my LGS some slack. There is a balance. There are only so many ways my LGS can have inventory on the shelf. One is higher prices.
This pretty much sums it up. Since consumers are buying up supply, the only way to prevent continued hoarding is to raise prices, or even limit purchase quantities. This isn't always going to work since those with expendable incomes will still be able to buy ammo and guns at inflated prices. I see price increases as a necessary evil.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
buck460XVR
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post

Again, we have someone who has little experience with a retail business and never dealt with retail supply chains.
Whether the wholesale price has increased or not, DEMAND HAS.

Ever hear of the law of supply and demand?

Those being "taken advantage of" by high prices? Well maybe you should have paid attention to the state of the gun and ammunition market the last fifteen years.

2020 should not have surprised anyone.
Again, clearly we have someone who thinks thier word is Gospel, and altho they may be in retail. clearly are not the defining word in it, and may be oblivious to what goes on in the real world. Someone who is quick to belittle even tho their expertise is short.
If you feel belittled I apologise.
I don't think my word is Gospel, but it sure as heck is more accurate than much of the nonsense in this thread.

Quote:
Sorry Tom, but most all of us here learned about supply and demand/Capitalism in Freshman Civics.
It doesn't show.

Quote:
Most of us here HAVE been paying attention to the state of the gun and ammunition market the last 15 years. None of us are surprised, but most all of us can recognize price gouging when we see it.
No, you don't.

Quote:
Maybe you are just ignorant of the definition of price gouging.

Quote:
Methinks you haven't read that definition.
Lets break it down........
Quote:
Price gouging may be charged when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency or when it cancels or dishonors contracts in order to take advantage of an increase in prices related to such an emergency.
While gun shops were recently deemed "essential businesses" in some states, state law determines when a product is essential and typically thats just been food and water. Even here in Texas during a hurricane, successful prosecutions are virtually nonexistent. Think why that may be.

I tell you what, I'll buy all of your 9mm for $9/box of 50.
-If your concern is gouging, then put your product out for purchase at what I consider a fair price.
-If you refuse, you are a gouger.
-Any concern you have for resupply isn't my concern, sell it to me now for $9....all of it.
-Wait, what? You paid $11 a box a year ago? I don't care, you are obligated in the spirit of Karl Marx to provide for those unwilling to plan, prepare or provide for themselves.
-Email me a list of your firearms and I'll offer you a price I decide is fair. I don't care if you can replace those guns but I'll be the one deciding if you are gouging or not.
-"But, but, but my property!" means nothing to me. You refusing to sell is proof that you are holding out for more $$$$$$.

Do ya get it? If you truly value capitalism, the free market and the right of a property owner to decide how many $$$$ it will take to part with his property...... you'll never call someone a "gouger" again.

If ya don't like the price shop elsewhere. Period.
It ain't your gun/food/water/ammo, so you have zero right to tell anyone what is "fair".

Business A prices Item 1 at $100 each.
Businesses B prices Item 1 at $50 each.
Businesses C, D, E & F price that identical Item 1 at $20 each.

Who makes a profit?
Who sells the most?
Who sells the least?
Who is in business this time next year?
If its not "an emergency" are A&B "gouging?

No one can answer those questions because you don't know what wholesale price was paid, whether the item is being sold below cost or whether sales are needed to remain in business.

Sadly, you and others would assume Business A and Business B are gouging. It may not be true.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #28
FITASC

Quote:
During the great .22LR shortage of a few years ago I was looking at a shelf filled with bulk packages of .22LR for $15 a package. I dithered a bit and then took a box. As I moved on a guy who had been (politely) waiting behind me swept all the bulk boxes off the shelf into his cart. THAT'S what causes the ammo shortages.
And that is the problem; had that store jacked prices up to demand levels, say $50/brick, do you think he would have taken them all? Nope, he would have left them there for someone else.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #29
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
Good grief it ain't price gouging....its called capitalism.
....actually, IMHO, it's both. I doubt in the case the OP gives that the wholesaler has doubled their prices($600) to the retailer. In the OPs scenario, it's clearly gouging and a retailer taking advantage of the climate and the availability of handguns right now. I have no problem with a dealer having to raise their price accordingly when their costs go up. I have no problem with a dealer raising prices because demand is clearing his shelves and he has no idea of when he might be able to replace them. But, during this and other previous panic shortages with guns/ammo/reloading components, there are many obvious examples of gouging. The OP's s clearly one of them. Manufacturers do not sell their products to distributors for over advertised MSRP.
NO, it is NOT gouging. Don't like the price, don't buy it. I don't like paying $8/lb for chuck roast; I do not buy it or I wait until it goes on sale - same for guns and ammo.

As for a retailer taking advantage, of course they do - that is how they make money and stay in business. Look at ANY retail item - clothes, I-phones, Christmas items, home electronics, or anything else - retailers start out high hoping to score as much as possible early on because they know prices will come down and so will the profit margin.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #30
dogtown tom

Gouging? I'll show you gouging!!!

McDonalds only charges $1.29 for a cheeseburger.
Five Guys wants $8.85 for a cheeseburger. Obviously they are gouging during supper time.

I'm calling the Governor tomorrow morning.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #31
SHR970

Your state law determines what is "GOUGING". And for the "gouger" selling across state lines does not necessarily negate those laws.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #32
FITASC

And state laws regarding gouging are wrong as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w

It doesn't matter whether it is guns or butter, plywood or generators, hamburgers or bananas
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #33
allenomics

Yes. Prices for pistols and rifles have never been higher in Central Florida. A S&W Sporter II was $549 pre-pandemic. Now $899. S&W M&P15 MOE SL .223/5.56 AR-15 is selling for $1,259, but was $599 pre-pandemic. That's above MSRP! All firearms are sold at sticker price - no discounting. Many buyers paying premium prices are new to firearms. Inventory at a very large vendor (Shoot Straight) is also low.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #34
Ignition Override

A gun shop owner near Jackson TN could not sell certain handguns because customers (who had never planned ahead) could not find the required ammo anywhere.

Are some gun stores closing their doors because of too little ammo availability?

.32 Auto ammo has been available in every store I've visited over the last two weeks.
Far better than carrying a can of mace.