The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How many magazines do you carry?
only the magazine in the carry pistol 40 36.70%
the magazine in the pistol and only one extra 52 47.71%
more than one extra magazine 17 15.60%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30, 2020, 09:08 PM   #51
tomrkba

Rather than go by magazines, I prefer to go by count. My magic number for revolvers is 24 and semi-autos is 30. Anything over that is a bonus. I chose the number for revolvers because three speed loaders is about all I can conceal.
Old August 1, 2020, 10:05 AM   #52
RETG

Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.
Old August 1, 2020, 09:38 PM   #53
bedbugbilly

1 extra
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 2, 2020, 12:37 AM   #54
tomrkba

Quote:
Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.
Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.
Old August 2, 2020, 07:42 AM   #55
RETG

Guess we can't give an honest answer anymore without someone stepping in implying I am crazy for my reply.

As someone who, when worked carried multiple magazines I know and understand very well how criminals get around and on occasion I do read the local crime reports; however, at coffee a few times a week, I get the full info in person from the Sheriff.

To imply I don't understand that criminals are every where is ludicrous and proves you DO NOT know me; and will NEVER know me.

If you are afraid to walk around without an extra mag, then why not carry two, three, four.....?

As for the "nextdoor" app...yea I looked at that for a few seconds. I don't live in a neighborhood, my next door neighbor is far away; we all keep to ourselves and we all want to keep it that way.

( I must say thanks for the reply; I just looked and found this site has an "ignore list." Cool.

Last edited by RETG; August 2, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old August 2, 2020, 10:19 AM   #56
greentick

I went to a G26 when they first came out and have pretty much stayed there. I recently switched to the magpul 12rd mag, so 12+1. That's what I usually carry.

All our vehicles carry extra mags. Usually 15rd G19 mags. If needed, I drop one in a pocket.

Rarely, I carry a Beretta Pico. I always drop a second mag in the pocket.

For fun, when it's cold (about 1.5wks of the year), I might carry the G20.
Old August 2, 2020, 02:13 PM   #57
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.
What?!!!

Its much more convenient to think of "them" as immobile and nocturnal, especially the "hard to stop" type.

Surely psychos/criminals that materialize in a "good" area will be undetermined, anemic; if they don't run away, a round or two (100% hits expected) of 22lr incapacitate them ASAP.

LOL.
Old August 2, 2020, 06:45 PM   #58
RickSeagle

I only carry the mag in the pistol, BUT, I do carry a back-up pistol. One on my hip, plus a pocket size 9.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM   #59
artoo

I carry one spare mag for the primary pistol and a pocket pistol for back up. Usually a Taurus 732 or a Beretta 3032 get the call for the back up.