The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2020, 07:09 PM   #1
Holmes529

Luger buying guide

Looking at adding a Luger to my collection. Specifically a WW2-era one. Does anyone have any advice and tips about buying a Luger? I want to learn all I can before I officially go out hunting for one. Anything helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 31, 2020, 10:59 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice and tips about buying a Luger?
Decide, in advance, what is important, and in what order. And, as with any gun, buy the gun, not the story.

Get a good book on Lugers. I have a copy of the Standard Catalog of Lugers, though I don't know if its still in print, its a very good reference, giving a lot of data on nearly all Lugers made.

You are looking for something in the WWII era, does that include pre-war Nazi guns?? I used to have a 1936 gun, marked as made for military contract.

It had been reblued (story was "during the war" ) and looked new. not all matching numbers. Price at the time (in the 90s) was $750. Had the same gun not been refinished it would have been $2200. Today, you're going to shell out more cash for the same thing.

So, decide what is acceptable, to you. I wanted a functional Luger, and thats what I got. f you want something with matching #parts a good finish, open your wallet. Really rare Lugers cost more than some cars.

Nazi Germany ended production of the P.08 in 1942. They were just "too expensive" to keep making.

Lugers are really cool, ionic history, and fun. If/when you do get one, NEVER put +p ammo in it.
Old August 1, 2020, 01:25 AM   #3
JDBerg

https://lugerman.com/

This guy is based in my old neck of the woods. Very interesting website.