The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2020, 11:31 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Annie annealer

If anyone can lend assistance i would be grateful. I have a Giraud annealer outfitted with an Annie Induction Annealer. The switch trips the timer to heat but the heating doesn’t take place. It discharges properly about 20% of the time and sometimes does kind of a half discharge. If anyone else has this system and can lend their experience I would appreciate it.
Old July 27, 2020, 07:44 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't own either tool, and someone will be along shortly who does, I'm sure. But having had a lot of electronic trouble-shooting experience, I can say where I would start.

First, put a case in place with the Giraud motor off and manually trigger the Annie. Does it work when you do this?

If not, either the switch is bad, or something isn't working in the Annie. A voltmeter placed across the switch contact will show some voltage when the switch is open that drops to zero when it is closed. Look both for AC and DC, though it would most likely be the latter.

Is the switch opening and closing every time? If not, the switch or its positioning is bad.

If the Annie just doesn't respond to proper switch closing or if you don't find any kind of voltage at all, not even a fraction of a volt when the switch is open, then it needs troubleshooting work or needs to be sent back for repair. Since I don't have one nor its schematic diagram, I can't advise you much on circuit troubleshooting specifics. I can only offer the general admonitions to open the box (if that doesn't void the warranty) and first look for loose wires or ones that pull off with gentle effort. Look for physically burnt parts or wires. Check that the power supply is normal using your voltmeter and that it doesn't drop more than about 20% when the unit operates. Beyond that, you are starting to look for circuit specifics I can't know without a unit or a schematic for one.
If manual triggering does work, check to see if the Annie works on the first case every time and then gets into trouble as subsequent cases come through. If so, you may be asking it to cycle more frequently than it can do without overheating its drive circuitry and it is shutting off to protect itself. (Note: since I don't have one, I don't know if it has thermal protection circuitry; this is a guess because I would include thermal shutdown circuitry if it were my design).

If the above is happening, check the Annie specifications or with its maker to see that you are trying to run it inside its "operating window". This would include how often it can cycle and for how long at each cycle and at what maximum ambient temperature. If you are not operating within its parameters, you need to fix that. You may have to move to a cooler location or mount the control box, so air can move all around it more easily or even set an external fan blowing on it. You could set a small window air conditioner blowing on it or slow the Giraud down.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 27, 2020, 07:50 AM   #3
scatterbrain

Are you using the Giraud feeder to load the Annie? I have the Annie with the coils. The only issue I have is sometimes my fat fingers fail to fully push the the timer button in. The Annie has a 50% duty cycle and I do not have any trouble meeting that with feeding by hand. I made a height adjustable floor gate with self centering to drop the case in. To me it was important to keep the 50% duty cycle as the governing goal to prevent overheating. Several thousand cases to date and no complaints.