The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Metric

a few velocity figures for the Beretta 81 / 32acp

I recently chrono'd a few .32acp loads out of a Beretta 81. Generally, I'm not interested in hollowpoints in this caliber, so all these are solids of one form or another. All ammo was purchased within the last year. Ambient temp was around 80F.

Geco 73gr FMJ (no advertized velocity): mean velocity 917 fps

Fiocchi 73gr FMJ (advertized velocity 1000 fps): mean velocity 988 fps

Underwood 55gr +p Xtreme Defender (advertized velocity 1050 fps): mean velocity 1158 fps

Buffalo Bore 75gr +p Hardcast Lead (advertized velocity 1150 fps): mean velocity 1006 fps

My own conclusions: I no longer trust any numbers published by BB. Underwood substantially outperforms their own published numbers (they probably tested with a Seecamp) -- it's a genuine supersonic load out of this pistol. Fiocchi numbers seem close for this pistol. Geco is a modest performer, but I'm guessing it's still a bit better than the SAAMI-spec stuff like Winchester.

In terms of kinetic energy, BB just barely edges out the Underwood (by less than 3%), due to its greater mass. Both have slightly more energy than the Fiocchi, but the gap is small enough that it seems irrelevant. There is a fairly substantial step down in energy to the Geco load.
Old July 2, 2020, 03:03 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I know you are talking .32 but for what it's worth

I chronographed some BB 100 grain HC .380 out of my Sig P230:
Buffalo Bore 27A 100 grain HC at 1108, 1102, 1093 for 1101 average = 269 ft. Pounds ME
And yes, that was 50 fps under what they stated, but they are usually pretty close, and it's ALWAYS mportant to do your own chronograph tests because each gun varies.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; July 2, 2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old July 2, 2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Metric

These are the only BB loads I've tested, but I did test some Underwood 9mm Xtreme Penetrator +p+ out of a Sig-Sauer P210A -- it also outperformed the published figure by a substantial margin. I chalk it up to the 5" barrel of the P210, while they are likely testing out of a conservatively short barrel -- I am impressed by that approach and trust Underwood.
Old July 2, 2020, 03:24 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

I'd be interested in your results with the Underwood 9mm as a comparison to BB.
I tested BB's hotest 9mm load, the +P 9mm outdoorsman with 147 keith HC out of a Shield, and got
998, 1000, and 1015 for around 328 ft. pounds ME average.
Out of the Kahr PM9 it only got 981, 972 for around 310 ft. pounds ME
Old July 2, 2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Metric

Out of the P210A, I got a four-round average of 1423 fps from the Underwood 9mm 115gr +P+ Xtreme Penetrator -- the advertized velocity is 1350 fps.
Old July 2, 2020, 04:11 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

wow, that's good! Works out to 517 ft. pounds ME.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:10 PM   #7
Webleymkv

The model 81 is a blowback iirc, therefore it relies on slide mass and recoil spring tension to keep the breech closed until the bullet has left the barrel. I can't help but wonder if the lower than expected velocity with the Buffalo bore is because the slide is opening prematurely and thus bleeding pressure out the breech. It would be interesting to chrono the BB with an extra power recoil spring installed.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:27 PM   #8
TruthTellers

It's on Buffalo Bore's website for that ammo that it goes about 1000 fps out of a Beretta Model 70 w/ a 3 inch barrel. IDK where they got the 1150 fps figure from, but it wasn't from anything with a barrel under 4 inches.

I don't think anything Buffalo Bore makes in .32 caliber is any good tho, I'd rather have the solid copper bullet in .32 than some heavy, hard cast lead bullet that simply pokes a hole. If I just want a hole pokes, I'd rather use a quality FMJ like the Fiocchi. Probably feeds better.
Old July 5, 2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Metric

Yes, their website does give a disclaimer of sorts. The advertized headline number is 1150 fps there too, but if you go down three paragraphs you find them mention 1000 fps out of a 3" Beretta 70. This is also a little annoying since the 70 actually has a 3.5" bbl -- but they have a bit of an incentive to under-count the bbl length.

Anyway, now I know what it does out of a 3.82" model 81, as well. The longest bbl production .32acp I'm aware of is the old CZ Skorpion machine pistol, with a 4.5" bbl. I just wonder what it would do.
Old July 5, 2020, 12:23 PM   #10
Metric

Regarding the xtreme defender bullet, I do like the concept, especially in low-energy calibers, where there is a nasty trade-off between expansion and penetration. In those cases, the last thing I want my bullet to do is "deploy a parachute" when it enters tissue. But the clever shape and high velocity of the little copper slug might give it a slight edge, so I'll take it.

In any case, I normally adopt the mindset that any SD pistol is purely about poking holes. Put those holes in exactly the right place and they will do the job. If they're not in exactly the right place, I have no right to expect them to do anything, no matter how fancy the bullet.
Old July 7, 2020, 04:11 PM   #11
rock185

This stuff is why I enjoy chronographing whatever new ammo I am using. More often than not, I test it in more than one barrel length. I've only used two BB loads, the .357 180 and 10MM 180. Both met BB's advertised velocity.

BTW Metric, the 210A's barrel is not actually 5". It is the same approx. 4.7" length as the earlier Swiss and German 210s. Never understood why SIG indicated 5" from the first, and never bothered to correct it.
Old July 8, 2020, 12:46 AM   #12
tallball

I have a Beretta... I think it's called a Model 100. It's basically a SA PP-sized pistol, but with 6" barrel and adjustable sights (importation points?). I'm guessing it gets a lot more out of the 32acp round than my P32 does.
Old July 10, 2020, 07:25 PM   #13
smee78

Thanks for sharing your results, I love my Beretta 81 and 84 and carry them frequently.
Old July 17, 2020, 05:25 PM   #14
Metric

Hi all,

I chrono'd some additional five-shot groups today out of the Beretta 81, for a couple more loads. Ambient temp was in the low 80's.

Winchester silvertip 60gr JHP (advertized velocity 970 fps): mean velocity 981 fps

S&B 73gr FMJ (advertized velocity 1043 fps): mean velocity 1047 fps

Both are very close to the advertized figure, which is slightly on the conservative side (out of the Beretta 81 anyway), and both loads were very consistent. Of course the Winchester silvertip is rather weak SAAMI-spec stuff, and oddly expensive. The ammo had been sitting around for an old Seecamp.

The nice surprise was the S&B. When I purchased it about a week ago, it was some of the most affordable .32 auto to be had (I would place an order for more but it's sold out at the moment). It out-performed the Fiocchi by 59 fps with the same bullet mass, and also delivered more kinetic energy than the Buffalo Bore 75gr +p load. This makes S&B the hottest factory .32acp load I've been able to find.

So when I carry a Beretta 81 with the possibility of something other than plinking in mind, it will likely be loaded with S&B or Underwood +P (I still like that copper bullet design).
Old July 17, 2020, 06:23 PM   #15
HighValleyRanch

I had some of the Fiocchi .32 for my Seecamp, and that stuff felt much hotter than the precision one or Winchester. The problem was that it would spit stuff out of the breech, so I am guessing timing or too long OAL for the Seecamp. It also hurt to shoot in the tiny Seecamp.

Sold the Seecamp, so need to find a nice .32 to shoot up all my ammo supply. Maybe an nice old Savage pistol.
Old July 18, 2020, 03:32 PM   #16
Metric

Yeah, my old Seecamp did not like the hot loads either. With the Underwood +P, it blows the magazine out past the lock, and then (of course) can't feed until it's reset. It's possible that replacing a spring or the magazine lock would help, but for now I just think of it as a "silvertip only" pistol.

IMO, .32acp seems like a great way to get into historically interesting pistols, without the extreme prices that are common in, say, 9mm. They also tend to be in a size that is just nice. I bet one of those old Savages would be great fun.
Old July 18, 2020, 03:58 PM   #17
JERRYS.

who has Fiocchi .32 acp FMJ in stock?
Old July 18, 2020, 04:48 PM   #18
Metric

As of right now, ammoseek.com lists several sources for Fiocchi .32 FMJ -- it's also the cheapest stuff to be had at the moment (which is more expensive than usual, like everything else right now). But the the situation changes fast.
Old July 18, 2020, 06:40 PM   #19
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
As of right now, ammoseek.com lists several sources for Fiocchi .32 FMJ -- it's also the cheapest stuff to be had at the moment (which is more expensive than usual, like everything else right now). But the the situation changes fast.
I placed an order, will see if they send me a message saying its out of stock on back order like the other ammo sites. if so I will cancel my order.
Old July 22, 2020, 06:09 PM   #20
JERRYS.

got my Fiocchi .32acp FMJ in today.
Old August 7, 2020, 07:33 AM   #21
IZZY

Quote:
S&B 73gr FMJ (advertized velocity 1043 fps): mean velocity 1047 fps
Metric,

Thank you for posting this info. Based on older information S&B is pretty much what we use...but it is nice to see current chronograph stats.
Old August 7, 2020, 10:57 AM   #22
Metric

Yes, I remember about 15 years ago, the word at the time was that the very hottest .32 to be had was Geco and S&B. It appears that S&B is as good as ever, but Geco has been moderated in the intervening years.