The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 12, 2020, 08:31 PM   #1
taylorce1

Missed the Mark Again!

So I came home from work the other day and found this sitting on the table.

SS 7 Twist, 5R rifling, 18" Savage Magnum contour, 5 spiral flutes, threaded 5/8-24, and chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. I know you're scratching your head 18" Creedmoor? So first thing I did was put it on the scales, and what a huge disappointment, almost 3 lbs! I didn't want to use the magnum contour but it's was the best choice to run a threaded barrel for the stocks I have. I know I'm going to have trouble making my weight goals now!

I laid it in the Accustock I intended to use and even though she's a little plump I thought it looked pretty good.

[

I couldn't wait to put it together, mama was out of town visiting friends so I used the breakfast table since it was 105 outside here in SE Colorado and my garage doesn't have AC. So I piled all the parts on the table and commenced to tear things apart and put them back together.

It took me less than 20 minutes to go from this:

To this:

Unfortunately how she sits without optics and suppressed (the reason for 18" barrel) this rifle weighed in at 8 lbs 13 oz. Now I know using a Savage it isn't going to be light, but I was hoping for it to be about 13 oz lighter. This thing is going to be close to 11 lbs +/- by the time I put a scope on it! I guess there might be a McMillan Edge in the future as that's about the best option to put it on a diet now.

If you were paying attention to the pictures you noticed a stock change. Yep, my precision ground recoil lug wasn't precise enough to fit in the stock I wanted to use, it was too wide and wouldn't fit in the stock. So I had to put it in an Accustock that someone took a dremel to the inside to try and get it to fit a standard Savage recoil lug.

However while the stock was wide enough to accomodate my recoil lug, it was still too tall. So I ordered a new factory lug from Midway and it should be in any day now. I'll also call up 4D Reamer Rentals and have them send me a set of gauges to properly set the head space on the rifle.

I still have to figure out options for optics, I'm leaning towards the Leupold MK-5HD 3.6-18X44 or the SWFA SS 3-15X42 Mil Quad. However, when looking at features I like this Athalon Midas TAC 4-14X44 with its capped windage turret and zero stop on the elevation. Until then I have a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12X44 that I was gifted that will probably go on initially until I figure out which scope will find a permanent home on this rifle.
Old July 12, 2020, 09:17 PM   #2
std7mag

A 13 lb Savage hunting rifle?

Not feeling so bad with my 10 lb Mauser build now.

But knowing you, yours will look better, and shoot lights out!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 12, 2020, 10:46 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

That is a purty tube! So you were hoping for about 8 lb.? Without bases and rings and glass? Are you planning on packing it in the high country a lot?
Old July 12, 2020, 11:42 PM   #4
ms6852

Nice looking rifle. I was looking at some Z5's Swarovski scopes some of their scopes come in at 15 to 17+ ounces. Don't know what your budget allows but these are pretty light scopes.
Old July 13, 2020, 01:06 AM   #5
bamaranger

good luck

Hope your project turns out OK. As consolation, most of my projects get a little sideways too!
Old July 13, 2020, 01:16 AM   #6
stagpanther

never mind then.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 13, 2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old July 13, 2020, 02:11 AM   #7
Scorch

I'm going through a similar exercise right now. Remington 700, stainless barrel with an aluminum sleeve, 308 Winchester. This started out as a 700 VSS (heavy 26"barrel with an HS Precision stock) that weighed in at 11 lbs. The barreled action weighed 8+ lbs. Turned the barrel from 6" ahead of the breech to 9/16" and sleeved it with aluminum sleeve, then profiled it pretty close to the factory Sendero profile. Now the barreled action weighs 4.4 lbs. I'm going to drop it into a carbon fiber/Kevlar stock that weighs 20-ish oz. Never thought a 308 could kick the snot out of me, but I'm expecting this one to do just that. We'll see. I'll post pics and stuff in a separate thread.

Good luck on your project, Chad!
Old July 13, 2020, 03:00 AM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
A 13 lb Savage hunting rifle? 
God I hope not! I'm looking at options to keep the weight manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck
So you were hoping for about 8 lb.? 
Correct, I knew the Accustock was heavier but the WSM Trophy Hunter rifle is supposed to weigh 7.5 lbs with a 24" barrel. I was hoping for around 9 lbs unsuppresed weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852
I was looking at some Z5's Swarovski scopes some of their scopes come in at 15 to 17+ ounces. 
I've looked at those as well, I'm looking for a FFP scope and the Swarovski are all SFP scopes. I could probably stretch my budget to $2000, but I'd prefer to stay $1500 or less.
Old July 13, 2020, 05:59 AM   #9
std7mag

Oops.... I misread the 13oz for the scope, and mixed it up for the 11 lb rifle weight.

Still, you'd shave a bit of weight without the can.
I'm running 1.5 contour on a 24" barrel on the Mauser.
Conversely, i have the same contour & length on my Forbes and it weigh almost 3 pounds lighter than the Mauser.
Meaning there are other areas to save weight.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 13, 2020, 03:47 PM   #10
sako2

If your trying to keep the weight down forget the Athlon scope. They're heavy.
Old July 13, 2020, 05:03 PM   #11
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2
If your trying to keep the weight down forget the Athlon scope. They're heavy.
Most FFP 30-35mm tube scopes are heavy, but the ones I listed are under 24-26 ounces. All the scopes I listed keep me light enough just to add about 2 lbs with rings.
Old July 14, 2020, 02:38 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
So I came home from work the other day and found this sitting on the table.

SS 7 Twist, 5R rifling, 18" Savage Magnum contour, 5 spiral flutes, threaded 5/8-24, and chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. I know you're scratching your head 18" Creedmoor? So first thing I did was put it on the scales, and what a huge disappointment, almost 3 lbs! I didn't want to use the magnum contour but it's was the best choice to run a threaded barrel for the stocks I have. I know I'm going to have trouble making my weight goals now!

I laid it in the Accustock I intended to use and even though she's a little plump I thought it looked pretty good.

[

I couldn't wait to put it together, mama was out of town visiting friends so I used the breakfast table since it was 105 outside here in SE Colorado and my garage doesn't have AC. So I piled all the parts on the table and commenced to tear things apart and put them back together.

It took me less than 20 minutes to go from this:

To this:

Unfortunately how she sits without optics and suppressed (the reason for 18" barrel) this rifle weighed in at 8 lbs 13 oz. Now I know using a Savage it isn't going to be light, but I was hoping for it to be about 13 oz lighter. This thing is going to be close to 11 lbs +/- by the time I put a scope on it! I guess there might be a McMillan Edge in the future as that's about the best option to put it on a diet now.

If you were paying attention to the pictures you noticed a stock change. Yep, my precision ground recoil lug wasn't precise enough to fit in the stock I wanted to use, it was too wide and wouldn't fit in the stock. So I had to put it in an Accustock that someone took a dremel to the inside to try and get it to fit a standard Savage recoil lug.

However while the stock was wide enough to accomodate my recoil lug, it was still too tall. So I ordered a new factory lug from Midway and it should be in any day now. I'll also call up 4D Reamer Rentals and have them send me a set of gauges to properly set the head space on the rifle.

I still have to figure out options for optics, I'm leaning towards the Leupold MK-5HD 3.6-18X44 or the SWFA SS 3-15X42 Mil Quad. However, when looking at features I like this Athalon Midas TAC 4-14X44 with its capped windage turret and zero stop on the elevation. Until then I have a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12X44 that I was gifted that will probably go on initially until I figure out which scope will find a permanent home on this rifle.
I am not sure of your exact goal, but it looks pretty reasonable build to me. Put a can on a light barrel and more often than not, you have a scatter gun.
Old July 14, 2020, 04:23 PM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
I am not sure of your exact goal, but it looks pretty reasonable build to me. Put a can on a light barrel and more often than not, you have a scatter gun.

I just wanted to come in right at 10 lbs suppressed or slightly under. This is my first time building a rifle for suppressor use, so there will be a little learning curve. Main use will be hunting, and banging steel.
Old July 15, 2020, 12:19 AM   #14
Double K

The most accurate hunting rifle I've ever seen was a special model of Remington model 7 with a pencil thin 20" 7-08 barrel and a McMillan stock. I pillar bedded it and the guy shot several 5 shot groups in the mid .2's.
Heavy guns are undoubtley easier to shoot good groups with but difference in accuracy is little.
This Sauer is light yet very accurate.

Old July 15, 2020, 05:37 AM   #15
hooligan1

I figured it would be a tad lighter.
But hell, you cant have everything I guess, it should be a nice shooter though.
Old August 23, 2020, 09:44 AM   #16
taylorce1

Finally got the rifle range ready, mounted up a scope this morning. Still going to give the bedding a little longer to cure before taking it out. Right now with the scope mounted it weighs in at 10 lbs 4.4 oz suppressed, but the scope is just temporary until I can find exactly what I want. Right now I'm looking at Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18X44 or NF SHV 4-14X50 and they'll add quite a bit of weight, changed to these two scope choices after giving up on trying to keep the weight down.

I also went looking for something to test, and wound up with a case of Barnes LRX ammo for $195 delivered.

I also picked up a three boxes of Hornady Black 105 grain HPBT to try. It was surprising how much longer the 95 grain LRX bullet was than the 105 HPBT.

Last edited by taylorce1; August 23, 2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old August 23, 2020, 10:09 AM   #17
stagpanther

I have a few cartridges I've loaded with LRX's--they shoot very well and seem like an ideal bullet for reaching out there.
Old August 23, 2020, 10:37 AM   #18
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I have a few cartridges I've loaded with LRX's--they shoot very well and seem like an ideal bullet for reaching out there.
I hope so I have a hard to draw 4th season Mule Deer buck tag this year. I still haven't decided if I'm going to even try to pack this rifle if it shoots well. If I like the cartridge, I may have to look for something lighter.
Old August 23, 2020, 02:04 PM   #19
eastbank

how far are you planning to shoot game with it? and what fpe will it carry to 3-4 hundred yards?
Old August 23, 2020, 03:17 PM   #20
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by easbank
how far are you planning to shoot game with it? and what fpe will it carry to 3-4 hundred yards?
That's truly the loaded question! I don't know how far I'll shoot game, every shot I choose to take or not take will have a lot of factors determining it. However, Rifleshooter.com did an article on the 6mm CM cutting a barrel down from 31" to 17". If my 18" barrel holds true to what they found I'll be in the low to mid 2900 fps range with 105 and 95 grain bullets.

I pretty much state, I don't believe you need a lot of FPE to kill game. I do believe you need enough velocity to get the bullet to expand properly so Barnes recommends a impact velocity minimum of 1600 fps for the LRX bullet. So if I have a muzzle velocity of 2950 that takes me to 850 yards depending on altitude. I doubt I'll need to shoot beyond 400 yards at game.
Old August 23, 2020, 04:35 PM   #21
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Finally got the rifle range ready, mounted up a scope this morning. Still going to give the bedding a little longer to cure before taking it out. Right now with the scope mounted it weighs in at 10 lbs 4.4 oz suppressed, but the scope is just temporary until I can find exactly what I want. Right now I'm looking at Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18X44 or NF SHV 4-14X50 and they'll add quite a bit of weight, changed to these two scope choices after giving up on trying to keep the weight down.

I also went looking for something to test, and wound up with a case of Barnes LRX ammo for $195 delivered.

I also picked up a three boxes of Hornady Black 105 grain HPBT to try. It was surprising how much longer the 95 grain LRX bullet was than the 105 HPBT.

Thats a deal on the Barnes.
Old August 23, 2020, 05:08 PM   #22
stagpanther

The lrx is .005 longer. Might be seated longer due to base of ogive.
Old August 23, 2020, 05:22 PM   #23
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
The lrx is .005 longer. Might be seated longer due to base of ogive.
It's .050" longer for the LRX (1.270"-1.220"). Not a huge difference, but looks that way in the picture.
Old September 8, 2020, 08:48 AM   #24
taylorce1

Well I might have found a way to get to my desired weight with the rifle! Brownell's was offering Howa 1500 22" barreled actions in 6mm Creedmoor for $250 over the weekend. The deal was too good to pass up, so I ordered one and I'll be into it for about $300 after taxes and transfer fees.

I also happen to have a Howa Alpine takeoff stock in my stash. While the Howa is no great weight savings, the Bansner designed Alpine stock comes in about a pound less then the Accustock. It'll cost me between $150-200 to cut the barrel down to 18" with an adapter to mount my suppressor, but I'm thinking my goal of a 9lb suppressed hunting rifle is closer than ever.

Also in my search for a way to lighten my Savage up I had a little conversation with McMillan. It seems that they don't really want to build stocks for Savage anymore. You really only have three options the A3, A3-5, and the A5 all great tactical stocks, but they weren't what I was looking for. Also you have to send your barreled action in with bottom metal and trigger guard to be used and pay for their fitting services, and the Magnum fill is the only option now for their stocks making them all heavier than my Accustock.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in McMillan Fiberglass Stocks.

We do have options for your Savage rifle. However, please note we will need the rifle’s barreled action and bottom metal/trigger guard sent in to us, to fit the rifle to the stock. We also require a magnum fill in all Savage stocks so carbon fiber is not an option. Please fill out the attached Savage check sheet and I’ll be happy to send you a list of stocks that will work with your specific rifle.

McMillan FAQ’s: https://mcmillanusa.com/faqs/

McMillan Colors & Finishes: https://mcmillanusa.com/gallery/

McMillan Marble Gallery: https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...colors-photos/

Best regards,

Gerald “Jeree” Hills

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Inc.
1638 W. Knudsen Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85027
Tel: 623-582-9635
Fax: 623-581-3825
www.mcmillanusa.com

Last edited by taylorce1; September 8, 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old September 8, 2020, 10:15 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Don't know how I missed this before.
My 6.5-284 Norma build suffered the same fate with a 'Magnum' contour Savage-style barrel, also chosen because it was the best contour for threads and suppressor use.

Long story short, that rifle turned into the long range fly swatter, weighing something like 11 lbs empty. It is currently getting restocked in a heavy laminate, for even more weight. Because, if I'm stuck prone or on a bench, what does it matter?

Something else will be used for the light rifle, eventually.