The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 22, 2018, 03:20 PM   #1
stagpanther

Love my 35 Whelen Hawkeye!

I bought a limited edition model 77 last winter used--and over the summer came up with a great load--but then the rifle returned to the safe for the rest of the season. Firearms opens next week--I'm changing up and hauling this into the woods. Just to check my zero--I fired a few shots today. It's near freezing out now and it appears that my loads of 225 GK driven by H4895 have lost just a tad bit of velocity--though that could be attributable to the cold dry air. Nonetheless, the bullets reliably went where they needed to go from the very first shot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (93.0 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (43.4 KB, 353 views)
Old October 22, 2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

Nice shooting! What are ya going to hunt with your Ruger?
Old October 22, 2018, 10:49 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Nice shooting! What are ya going to hunt with your Ruger?
Thanks--it's a very good combo H4895 and 225 GK, though this particular load is a bit on the warm side. For now--Maine whitetail. Might be a bit of overkill--but they can get pretty big here and the woods are very thick so I like the thought of hopefully anchoring them fast.
Old October 23, 2018, 04:12 AM   #4
std7mag

Nice!!

Probably not as much overkill as your thinking. I wouldn't hesitate to use it here in PA.

I'm planning on using my M77MKII in 280 Rem for my first bear hunt this year.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 23, 2018, 05:24 AM   #5
eastbank

I have a ruger #1 and a Remington 7600 pump in 35 whelen, good rifles for deer-bear.
Old October 23, 2018, 07:11 AM   #6
stagpanther

The load above is leaving the muzzle around 2700 fps & 3600 ft/lbs KE. Not compressed and no pressure signs or brass stretch.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:51 AM   #7
105kw

You will be impressed with Whelen on deer.
Solid hit drops black tails, and mulies like a sack of potatoes.
I never recovered a bullet, all hits exited, but my hunting partners were amazed at the lack of blood shot meat.
Good luck, good hunting. You got a great rifle, caliber combo.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:57 AM   #8
stagpanther

Thanks--hope I get a shot at one.
Old October 23, 2018, 07:12 PM   #9
gw44

Here in Michigan the 35 Whelen was used a lot, but not so much now the 760rem in 35 whelen is a deadly deer gun !!
Old October 23, 2018, 09:12 PM   #10
stagpanther

This gun is about as accurate as anything I have--I'm not sure exactly why but the .358 seems to be very accurate bullet despite it's low BC if you give it enough of a kick in the pants. I have a 358 win build that drives the same bullet also very well.
Old October 23, 2018, 11:14 PM   #11
Colorado Redneck

Overkill shmoverkill. Do whatever turns your crank. Good luck!
Old October 24, 2018, 07:29 PM   #12
gw44

Just because it doesn't have the word MAG IN IT doesn't mean it won't work !!!
Old October 24, 2018, 08:02 PM   #13
stagpanther

I get the impression that the performance could be pushed a bit further with newer powders--and maybe even a better bullet. Oddly enough I never got the accubonds to do better out of either this rifle or my 358 win for some reason.
Old October 26, 2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Rifletom

stagpanther, you have the rifle I always wanted when I use to hunt bigger game. For some silly reason or another, just didn't put one together. Good luck with your Whelen. A superb cartridge and rifle to boot.
Old October 26, 2018, 04:24 PM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther, you have the rifle I always wanted when I use to hunt bigger game. For some silly reason or another, just didn't put one together. Good luck with your Whelen. A superb cartridge and rifle to boot.
Thanks--it is a nice one--but shouldn't be too hard to find one somewhere if you really want one, no?
Old October 26, 2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Paul B.

A lot of powders work reasonably well in the .35 Whelen but my thought is Re15 could possibly be one of the best there is for that cartridge. First load work up for my .35 Whelen was with Re15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet. I get 2710 FPS and it drops elk like the hammer of Thor. The last elk I shot dropped so fast the guide thought that it'd dropped off into a gully and that I'd missed. The elk was running straight away from me and I put the bullet right at the base of the skull. Instant lights out. I've shot six elk with that load, three DRT on the spot and the other three hit a hair too far back were stopped cold and unable to get up or get away. If I had to get rid of all but two rifles, I'd keep my Great grandfather's old 30-30 that I used to kill my first deer and my custom Mauser .35 Whelen.
Paul B.
Old October 26, 2018, 04:57 PM   #17
stagpanther

Your load--like mine--is out there on the "warm" side but my rifle really shines when spitting the 225 gr bullets fast. I have plenty of RL15 but so far haven't found anything outstanding with it--though I haven't tried it with TSX's so maybe I'll give that a go--though to be honest I don't see the need for it since my intended game is soft skin
Old October 29, 2018, 11:32 AM   #18
Rifletom

stagpanther, oh, I'm sure I could get my hands on one, it's just I no longer hunt bigger game, pretty much upland birds.
Old October 29, 2018, 03:55 PM   #19
Paul B.

"Your load--like mine--is out there on the "warm" side but my rifle really shines when spitting the 225 gr bullets fast. I have plenty of RL15 but so far haven't found anything outstanding with it--though I haven't tried it with TSX's so maybe I'll give that a go--though to be honest I don't see the need for it since my intended game is soft skin."

That was more or less my original plan but I'd drawn a tag for a hunt where while not required, the use an all copper bullet was suggested. Cost me the biggest Mule Deer buck I've ever seen. I could have easily shot him but the TSX would have passed clean through the buck and taken out or wounded several of the does that were behind him. Come to think of it I had the same problem on an elk hunt a few years back. Guide's telling shoot shoot shoot and I don't shoot. Guess he thought it was buck fever or something but then I show him a cartridge and tell him I'd have killed two or three elk if I'd taken the shot. I doubt the state of New Mexico would have issued me the extra tags to cover those elk. Frankly, I think any 225 gr. bullet under those conditions would have created the same problem. Just something to watch out for on a hunt.
Paul B.
Old October 29, 2018, 04:19 PM   #20
stagpanther

Man--that must be a major bummer! I rarely have even one buck present itself--let alone a group--unless of course it's after an unsuccessful hunt and when I get home at 2 am and it's 10 below zero--yes there'll be a big group waiting in my driveway ( I live in an area over-populated with deer but you're not allowed to hunt them--what a coincidence).
Old October 29, 2018, 05:36 PM   #21
NHSHOOTER

stagpanther Sounds like you live around Orono?
Old October 29, 2018, 06:06 PM   #22
stagpanther

You can hunt expanded archery in/near Orono I believe--I live on Mt Desert--one of the few places in Maine with a deer problem and an absolute ban on deer hunting (except for the poachers, maybe).
Old October 29, 2018, 07:00 PM   #23
NHSHOOTER

was worth the guess, I have been to Orono and seen the deer there near the college..
Old October 29, 2018, 11:58 PM   #24
stagpanther

Quote:
was worth the guess, I have been to Orono and seen the deer there near the college..
Maine grows some true monsters. It's interesting--I follow the harvest pretty carefully on multiple forums--starting with the expanded archery folks and our youth and residents only opening days for firearms have already happened. It's striking to me the lack of 300 or more pound monsters that have not been taken compared to the posts I saw for this time last year.
Old October 30, 2018, 04:09 AM   #25
std7mag

I've been watching/ noticing the same thing here in PA also.
My trail cameras will back that up too.
Have as many pictures of bear, as deer this year.
Biggest deer antler wise is an ehhh 7 point.
Tons of doe.

So, you live in a gun free zone?
Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...