The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Scored small rifle primers

Keep checking the online vendors, and occasionally you get lucky. Sitting in the recliner after a tooth exteaction and checked Powder Valley...!! They had CCI so I added to the cart, tried to order two bricks but limited to one. Completed the order. Called my nephew and told him to hurry. He texted and said he was too late, but he tried again and got some. 60 bucks plus hazmat and shipping came to $89. So keep perusing the web.
Old August 21, 2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Nice score. Well done.

Right now, most posts here seem shortage related. I don't miss those days. When the shortage of 2013 hit (lasted well into '16 here in California), I was caught flat footed too. My component levels were on fumes when Sandy Hook occured. That really sucked and I vowed never again. I had similar fortunate luck with HP-38 during the '13 shortage. Just happened to be at the right website at the right time.

I stocked up after that. And because of my subsequent preparation, what's happening right now is a complete non-issue for me. I have lots of everything. I strongly recommend doing the same after this madness ends (if).

An additional good fortune of timing for me this time around is that I'm completely out of the game right now. My wife and I are in the process of moving to Idaho. 90+% of our stuff is stored in a warehouse - including all my loading equipment and bullets (almost 1KLbs worth). I am still in possession of all my "reactive components" (powder, primers) and loaded ammo (about another 500 Lbs worth). My guns are in a safe with my son-in-law. We sold our house and are squatting in a one-bedroom apt while our new home is being built.

So the timing of this shortage couldn't be better for me (not that there's ever a good time for a shortage). At the moment, I have no dog in this fight whatsoever. And Idaho being a cold climate (by my standards), I don't suspect I'll get back to the load bench until spring. I can't wait.

(Sorry to make this about me.)
Old August 22, 2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Nick

I don't shoot as much as in the past, however if there are prairie dogs where they can be had, a thousand rounds in a year is still possible. When this lunacy started I had 3 years worth of supplies. Got more powder, more bullets but primers are scarce. So now I am back to 3 years of stuff. I hear you, been through 2 prior shortages, and thought I was set. But given the current ammunition buying, and continuing gun sales, my paranoia drove this purchase. I agree with everything you said.
Old August 23, 2021, 01:09 AM   #4
armoredman

A local shop had primers briefly, so I was able to partially restock on SPP and SRP, but not many. I did NOT stock up enough, never expected this shortage to last this long, my fault. Yes, keep looking, and sometimes things pop up!
Old August 23, 2021, 07:05 AM   #5
Lhigginsqrb

I bought 1500 small rifle primers. Some of them magnum if I’m not mistaken. I was looking for shotgun primers and pistol primers and since I was in the store I figured I might as well use my limit.

I had planned on using them for my 556. Is there a better use? My gun is just for the range I don’t really hunt with that one. I’m reloading for a few friends once I get everything set up. Last time I got interested the shortage knocked me right out of it.
Old August 23, 2021, 11:34 PM   #6
armoredman

5.56 is a very good use of both. I do.
Old August 29, 2021, 12:16 AM   #7
Metal god

I remember seeing this thread awhile back and thought I’d jump in . During this shortage I’ve had a few friends need primers and I either gave them a brick or sold a couple bricks of what ever at $40 a brick which made me like $15 each . Well today a friend-ish from the range called and said I have a sleeve (5k) of small pistol primers if you want them . I’m like sure how much ? He says $250 SOLD !!!!! .

Maybe it’s true , what comes around goes around . Although I was not low on spp ( I had 4k + several hundred cases already primed in multiple calibers ) this has reduced some anxiety I have to say .

Anyways off to buy lottery tickets lol
MG

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .