The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 5, 2021, 08:51 PM   #1
highpower3006

Speaking of Glocks, I found a G17L

A while back I shot a friends G17L and was impressed with how well it shot and handled. I like the look of the early versions without the light rail as I see no need for a gun that I intend to use solely as a range gun and so have been looking for either a gen1 (good luck with finding an affordable one) or a gen2.

I finally managed to find a like new gen2 from 1995 with the Tupperware box, correct original magazines and manual at what I felt was a reasonable price and picked it up the other day. Today I took it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it and boy is this thing a shooter. It came from the factory with a 3.5lb trigger and adjustable rear sight and I found it very easy to hold the bullseye at every range I tried it at up to 25 yards. I had decent results with the standard range grade 115gr ammo I had on hand and am going to try loading up some 124gr cartridges to see if it likes the heavier bullets

All in all I am pretty happy with my new (used) G17L and I only wish I would have acquired one a few years ago.

Last edited by highpower3006; August 7, 2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old August 5, 2021, 09:42 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I like the long slide Glocks, especially the 10mm, but yours is quite nice.
Old August 5, 2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Lima Oscar 7

Congratulations
Old August 5, 2021, 10:57 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I like the 17L, it's a good shooter. And I like the original "tupperware" boxes. They are compact, offer good protection for the gun and let you transport it with 3 magazines. I bought a batch of the boxes years ago when one of the distributors was selling them on closeout.
Old August 6, 2021, 05:54 AM   #5
Siggy-06

Congrats on finally finding one! I picked up a Gen 5 34 a couple weeks ago myself. A few differences but I like the mag release a bit better on the Gen 5s.
Old August 7, 2021, 06:06 PM   #6
Forte S+W

Congratulations.
Old August 22, 2021, 09:43 PM   #7
Palmetto-Pride

Congrats!

I just joined the darkside after many years of telling myself I would never own a Glock.
Old August 24, 2021, 11:58 PM   #8
Lima Oscar 7

Speaking of Glocks:

My 57 year old eyes like the Factory Goal Post plastic sights.

I prefer the Gen. 3 9mm’s over all generations and calibers.

I like the finger grooves.

More trigger finger on the trigger means fewer shots to the left for me.
Old August 25, 2021, 04:47 PM   #9
Hammerhead

Congrats! Love the L.

What I like about gen 1 & 2 is the old style slide finish. They have a very grip-able finish, and they look better w/o the rail and grooves. A very streamlined appearance compared to today's 'saw tooth' gun fashion.

I first bought my gen 3 17L in 2007, foolishly sold it in 2010, then I saw it on the shelf last winter (same gun), and 'just had to have it'.

Still looked great, still shoots great. When I sold it, it was in it's original matching gen 3 box, but when I bought it back it was in an old gen 1/2 tupperware. That's fine, I prefer the tupperware.

I ditched the competition magazine release and replaced it with a stock 17 release, added Dawson fixed sights, and dropped in a Glock #5.5 connector for a heavier but crisper trigger pull.

I've been shooting a lot of plated 147 bullets and the L seems to like 147 grain quite a bit, they are at least as accurate as 124 for me.

Plated, coated, jacketed, everything works. I've even shot some .357" revolver bullets.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Hammerhead; August 25, 2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old August 25, 2021, 11:32 PM   #10
TBL004

Congratulations, the 17L is a great model.
Old August 27, 2021, 06:33 AM   #11
highpower3006

Thanks for all the kind words.

While I can't say that I prefer any particular generation of Glocks over another, I have no issues whatsoever with the finger grooves on the gen3/4 guns. For many years my primary carry gun was my old reliable gen3 G19, only recently switching to a G48 with Shield Arms 15 round magazines.

I refuse to call myself a Glock collector, but somehow I have amassed several of the darn things ranging from a fairly early gen1, the above pictured G17L, two gen3's (17&19), the G48 and one of the Glock factory P80's. I have always maintained that a Glock has all the personality and charm of a refrigerator, but you cannot argue with their reliability.

I do have other guns to compare them against, as I also have a couple of CZ75's a couple HK's and a Sig P226. As well as a slug of 1911's All of the above are excellent guns and all will shoot better than I am capable of, but for some reason I always come back to a Glock as the gun I choose to carry daily.
Old August 27, 2021, 07:50 AM   #12
SR420

Congratulations.

I started shooting Glocks in 1985 and my current favorites are the long slide 34 and 41, the longer sight radius helps me put rounds on target.
Old August 27, 2021, 08:03 AM   #13
Screwball

Back when I lived in NJ, I picked up my 30S. Loved the gun, especially with the SCD, being it was pretty much a .45 19. Never got into 9mm Glocks down there.

Moved to ME, and last year we switched to the 19 Gen 5 MOS at work (CBP). I run it with the large backstrap/beavertail, and Hogue wraparound… which made it close to the 30S, but still a little too many differences (work has a hard one for not letting us carry weaponlights, even though they are approved thru the agency). Sold it a few weeks back, and afterwards… I picked up one of those Lipsey P80 pistols.

I actually like the no rail frame, more so with it being pretty much a Gen 3 gun. Grip is nice, and I really don’t need ambidextrous controls. Newly made Tupperware box was neat, as well.

I also got a Stern Defense 6” upper, that I built a lower to take their magazine adapter (used a CA magazine lock so I didn’t have to worry about being confused with the different magazine release/traditional one being present). I plan on tossing my Dead Air Odessa-9 on it when it gets out of jail, and giving me another option for a truck gun. We shoot standard pressure 147 grain (currently Winchester Ranger, but going to a modified Speer G2), so if I had to use one of my duty magazines in it, should work ok.

But I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a LWD frame that takes full size slides and is compact magazine compatible… and getting a 34 Gen 3 slide. Was thinking about milling it for a red dot… but still on the fence with that. I’d like to be able to run the 34 slide on the P80 frame, and still have the ability to use work available magazines with the LWD frame. Guess that is as modular you can get with Glock.

I’ve looked at the 17L slides… first, they are expensive as hell. Second, they are pretty long. Don’t get me wrong, I like added velocity and sight distance… used to have a 5” M&P40. But the extra almost 3/4” in length isn’t that beneficial, not to mention the 34 slide is beveled for reholstering. And third, the 34 is used more in competition, as well as duty use, so aftermarket (to include holsters) specifically for that slide length is better than the slightly longer 17L. Guess that happens with regular production verses limited production.
Old August 28, 2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Lima Oscar 7

I carry a Gen. 3 Glock 17 daily. I prefer the Gen. 3 frame and I like slick and simple. I don’t need forward serrations. Have you ever seen what a hand looks like after it’s penetrated by a +P 9mm hollow point? I have. The flesh wound is bad but the the recon of the bones is devastating. My support hand is never anywhere near the muzzle end of a handgun.

Last edited by Lima Oscar 7; August 28, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old August 29, 2021, 04:46 AM   #15
highpower3006

Quote:
Have you ever seen what a hand looks like after it’s penetrated by a +P 9mm hollow point? I have. The flesh wound is bad but the the recon of the bones is devastating. My support hand is never anywhere near the muzzle end of a handgun.
I can only imagine how bad a wound like that would be. I feel the same way you do, I have never seen any particular use for the forward slide serrations. I suppose it came about because one of the internet gun gurus said it was a good idea, so everyone else jumped on board.

I make a point of keeping all my body parts as far away s I can from the muzzle end of any gun.

As an aside, I have a friend that has a shooting range where they rent out guns. He told me one time that gen3 and earlier guns were more reliable than the gen4/5 guns. I couldn't say why that would be so, but I do know that my old gen3 G19 has had a lot of rounds put through it and it has never failed. As I mentioned, I have never had a problem with the finger grooves on Glocks, I find them to virtually unnoticeable.
Old August 29, 2021, 02:08 PM   #16
GeauxTide

I've got a 19 and a 34. They are flawless and shoot into one hole.
Old September 2, 2021, 06:06 AM   #17
Mannlicher

My Gen 2 Glock 19 is a favorite carry pistol, and I can't find anything about it to criticize.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 2, 2021, 08:19 AM   #18
wild cat mccane

The physical and designed for loaded chamber indicator (LCI) makes "press check" superfluous. It makes you wonder if the press check is just someone wanting to fidget with a firearm...
Old September 2, 2021, 08:16 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane
The physical and designed for loaded chamber indicator (LCI) makes "press check" superfluous. It makes you wonder if the press check is just someone wanting to fidget with a firearm...
The 17L that is the topic of this thread doesn't have a LCI extractor as a function of its age. As for the discussion on forward serrations that seems to be the only thing in this tread related to a LCI, press checks don't have to be done using forward serrations.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 2, 2021, 11:07 PM   #20
9x19

I prefer the 3rd generation in a full size grip, and my 17L is an excellent pistol, but the 34 is still my favorite.

Old September 3, 2021, 11:35 AM   #21
Hammerhead

Love Screwball's P-80 shown above.
That is a sleek looking pistol.
Old September 4, 2021, 03:17 PM   #22
ME262

Here is my main complaint about Glocks which are of course very reliable guns EXCEPT all of the ones I've come across, with the exception of .357 sig, are very bad with what they call "limp wristing". I think that is a very important and underemphasized thing because who knows what sort of grip u will be able to get on yr gun in an emergency or a struggle, likely not a nice weaver stance range grip!
Old September 4, 2021, 06:52 PM   #23
9x19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME262 View Post
Here is my main complaint about Glocks which are of course very reliable guns EXCEPT all of the ones I've come across, with the exception of .357 sig, are very bad with what they call "limp wristing". I think that is a very important and underemphasized thing because who knows what sort of grip u will be able to get on yr gun in an emergency or a struggle, likely not a nice weaver stance range grip!
Honestly, I think that's item 58 or 59 on the list of things I worry about.
Old September 4, 2021, 08:03 PM   #24
ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Honestly, I think that's item 58 or 59 on the list of things I worry about.

He rolls his eyes.

OK, so what are the 57 or 58 things that u think r more important?

Last edited by ME262; September 4, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old September 4, 2021, 09:26 PM   #25
Sharkbite

Back when i was teaching, the “limp wrist” issue was just starting to be talked about. So, we took a Glock 19 and TRIED to get it to fail due to a weak/loose grip.

You had to have a seriously loose grip to induce stoppages. I suppose, if you were holding the gun in an already injured single-handed grip its possible this might be a problem.

Otherwise i think “limp wristing” is more of a problem on the internet then on the streets