The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2020, 12:38 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

P365 vs P365XL accuracy

Has anyone found their P365XL to be more accurate than the P365?

Interested in shooters of both, not hypothetical based on sight radius. Considering trading out my regular P365 to an XL and buying the regular 10 round grip. But not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Thank you!
Old November 19, 2020, 12:42 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I don’t think from a mechanical perspective there should be much difference from a slightly longer barrel. If anything the larger grip and slightly different trigger might make shooting easier for some users. We’ve had people post some pretty excellent groups with their P365s that seem easily on par with my XL. When I’ve shot a regular P365 it was more that I preferred the feel of the larger pistol, but I don’t know that I could discern a significant difference in accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2020, 12:45 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old November 19, 2020, 12:55 PM   #4
jmr40

I can't do a direct comparison between the 365 and 365 XL. But I do find my 365 easier to shoot well with extended 12 round magazines in it. In fact my 365 with 10 round mags has replaced my G43 for IWB carry, AND when using 12 round mags my G19 for OWB carry.

The 365 XL may well be more accurate for some people but I shoot the standard version well enough and like the versatility of being to use smaller 10 round mags when concealment is more important and have the option of 12 or 15 round mags.

Winston Churchill
Old November 19, 2020, 03:35 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

Right.

That's why I am wondering if switching an XL slide to the regular 10rnd grip might be the ticket. 3.7" slide with option of 10, 12, and 15rnd mags.

50/50 that this isn't worth the squeeze, but curious if the XL 3.7" slide has confirmed a better accuracy in anyone's hand compared to the regular 3". I suspect not. But if someone does...
Old November 19, 2020, 05:20 PM   #6
dgludwig

If there's a difference in accuracy between the two pistols, I suspect that the difference has to do with some shooters finding one or the other "easier" to shoot well rather than there being any intrinsic accuracy variation between them. Not worth the "squeeze" imo.
Old November 19, 2020, 06:48 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

probably true

Thanks
Old November 20, 2020, 06:10 PM   #8
mrt949

I Have a P365 And have THE 12 Round Mags. I Like the Feel of the 10 rd with the extended base plate also .Not to spend more money for me.
Old November 20, 2020, 06:39 PM   #9
jackstrawIII

I only have the "regular" length and find it to be shockingly accurate for a small pistol. Like, 4" plates at 15 yards easily. Doubt the longer barrel would make a noticeable difference, but I'd be willing to try haha.
Old December 1, 2020, 02:15 AM   #10
ftttu

I haven't looked up the stats on a comparison of the two pistols, but my thinking for choosing the P365 XL over the smaller brother is for the longer grip and the longer barrel.

I don't like extended mags, and I hope to get a little velocity gain from the longer barrel. It is possible accuracy could be a hair improved over the little brother due to a longer site radius, more weight and the previously mentioned larger grip, but if so, I'm guessing it would be a negligible improvement.

To add, I really thought my G43 was going to be with me for the long haul, but I don't miss it at all after carrying this XL. The only negative, which will be remedied with a new holster, is that I feel I have to wipe it down each day after carrying - something I didn't feel I had to do with my G43.

One more thing, to me, the G43 was a purposely built sub compact pistol and not a scaled down compact or full sized Glock 9mm pistol. The P365 XL, however, feels like a full sized pistol, just scaled down...if that makes sense.
Old December 1, 2020, 10:39 AM   #11
jmhyer

Not sure what is meant by hypothetical with regard to sight radius. Longer sight radius is well-known to be beneficial in terms of individual shooters' accuracy. So, while a longer grip might help some, the longer sight radius is (IMHO) is likely to be the biggest explanation if the XL seems more accurate that the regular/original.
Old December 1, 2020, 11:05 AM   #12
gnystrom

I have shot all the P365 options available. Given this is a SD gun, I opt for the version that offers me the greatest concealment, and that being the original P365 with the 10 round flat based mags.
I also carry AIWB so any additional barrel length does not contribute to my carry comfort.
Old December 1, 2020, 11:44 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
I have shot all the P365 options available. Given this is a SD gun, I opt for the version that offers me the greatest concealment, and that being the original P365 with the 10 round flat based mags.
I also carry AIWB so any additional barrel length does not contribute to my carry comfort.

I totally get what you’re saying.

I wanted to springboard off of it to say that some holster makers actually recommend using slightly longer length holsters if carrying AIWB, so say a Glock 19 holster for a Glock 26. The logic there is that the added length inside the pants helps prevent what some holster makers call “roll out”. Roll out is the tendency for shorter barreled holsters to roll over the belt line because so much of the weight is centered at the back of the pistol which is above the belt line and the muzzle doesn’t go deep into the pants to offset this. It may or may not be worth it to a given user. I have carried longer length pistol (up to 4”) AIWB and it hasn’t been very uncomfortable, but all of this is person dependent.

Old December 1, 2020, 06:06 PM   #14
Groundhog34

I have both. I find the XL to be SLIGHTLY more accurate when shot from a rest probably due to a better grip and trigger. Shot without a rest they are equal. The 365 is easier to conceal the XL easier to shoot both comparisons are by a SLIGHT margin. As the great former Gov George Wallace said about the Democrat and Republican parties "They ain't a dime worth of difference in the two"
Revelation 13:11
Old December 1, 2020, 06:07 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
The only negative, which will be remedied with a new holster, is that I feel I have to wipe it down each day after carrying - something I didn't feel I had to do with my G43.
Not a real "hardship" (negative) for me; I wipe down all firearms each day after carrying (or even just handling) them, regardless of the material/finish they're made of. It's been my practice for over a half century and the conditions of my many guns reflect the little extra attention I routinely give them.
Old December 2, 2020, 01:13 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

A quote of a person best known for being one of America's most recent racists that there isn't much of a difference.

Don't know if I take that as a plus or negative.

"Great" :l
Old December 2, 2020, 09:11 PM   #17
zoo

I can shoot a dixie cup at 500 yards with the XL. Not so much with the plain old 365.

Realistically speaking, you're kidding with the question, right?
Old December 2, 2020, 09:12 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
I can shoot a dixie cup at 500 yards with the XL. Not so much with the plain old 365.

Realistically speaking, you're kidding with the question, right?

I’d pay to see that though.

Old December 3, 2020, 09:11 AM   #19
jmhyer

Quote:
A quote of a person best known for being one of America's most recent racists that there isn't much of a difference.

Don't know if I take that as a plus or negative.

"Great" :l
Tony, the Tiger??
Old December 3, 2020, 09:25 AM   #20
wild cat mccane

Not kidding at all.

The XL is almost the barrel length of the G19/PPQ/VP9. The P365 that I have is the barrel length of the CM9.

While I find the P365 to have excellent accuracy, I thought I would ask those with both.

With the P365 10rnd grip, I think the extra .7" length would still keep it compact.

Silly question, but thought I would ask those with actual experience with both.
Old December 4, 2020, 01:45 AM   #21
zoo

Quote:
The XL is almost the barrel length of the G19/PPQ/VP9. The P365 that I have is the barrel length of the CM9.
The barrel on the XL is a tad over half an inch longer than the standard P365.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:03 AM   #22
Brit

Reference "Wiping down a carried pistol" my cleaning regime, clean my Glock 19 4th Gen.
Light oiling. Then wipe it all off. Carry every day, it is sitting on my night table right now, shower and get dressed. Holster up.
Not a mark on the pistol, no scratches, no dings, spotless. The finish from Austria, great.

A nice advantage to the G19, carry with the 15 round magazine in place, 16 rounds total, spare magazine, a G17 one, most likely adequate in the way of an emergency pistol.
When I competed in IDPA at my Gun Club, I never had a malfunction of any nature!
Winchester White Box. Carry 147g Federal HST Hollow Points. Good reports on it.
Had a couple of almosts! Over the years, but never fired in an actual confrontation.
Old December 4, 2020, 11:06 AM   #23
wild cat mccane

Whereas the G19, VP9, PPQ is the standard sized "target/range" size...check out the XL being basically the same size:

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-sauer-p365-xl
Old December 4, 2020, 12:55 PM   #24
TunnelRat

P365 vs P365XL accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Whereas the G19, VP9, PPQ is the standard sized "target/range" size...check out the XL being basically the same size:

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-sauer-p365-xl

You’ve brought up that website before. While it’s handy, I can tell you from owning both that they carry and shoot noticeably differently. Will that be true for everyone, I’m not sure. My point is exterior measurements don’t give you all the information.

Old December 4, 2020, 08:44 PM   #25
zoo

Quote:
While it’s handy, I can tell you from owning both that they carry and shoot noticeably differently.
Not really. Yer talkin a half inch more barrel. With a twelve round mag in the standard P365, ain't a whole lot of difference between the two pistols.