The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 15, 2021, 07:27 PM   #26
tlm225

I live life on the edge I guess. I fly my American flag 24/7 and even have an NRA decal on the back glass of my truck.

I've noticed over the years on this and other gun forums that gun owners have seemed to have given in the antis. Don't fly a flag, don't let others know you're a gun enthusiast, don't display gun related items.

Maybe, just maybe some of us need to learn a lesson from the LGBTQ community. Regardless of your position on them look what they've accomplished since they have "come out" demanding equal treatment and refusing to stay "in the closet". Yet we as patriotic, manly gun owners chose to capitulate to the same political group and go into our own "closet", even now to the point of not flying our nations flag?????
Old September 16, 2021, 06:59 AM   #27
gaseousclay

Quote:
I've noticed over the years on this and other gun forums that gun owners have seemed to have given in the antis. Don't fly a flag, don't let others know you're a gun enthusiast, don't display gun related items.
I don’t think it’s giving in to the antis so much as it’s about keeping a low profile. I like the grey man approach and choose not to stick out like a sore thumb. I drive a 15 yo Corolla— I doubt anyone is gonna bother me driving a grandpa car.
Old September 16, 2021, 07:42 AM   #28
dontcatchmany

Asa disabled Vietnam Veteran I proudly fly a flag of the USA in my front yard currently itis at half mast due to the biden murder of the 13 US Marines and Corpsman at Kabul.

There are 5 consecutive houses and/or businesses on my side of the road who fly the flag.

If there is an attempted robbery in the neighborhood, I would forewarn the perverts that many of my neighbors are veterans/retired Marines or just gun owners. Very many of us have some sort of practice range set up in our back yards........and we still keep in practice as can be note by the frequent gun fire.

i will always fly my flag, the Flag of the United States of America, and am still prepared to defend her.
Old September 16, 2021, 12:55 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I live life on the edge I guess. I fly my American flag 24/7 and even have an NRA decal on the back glass of my truck.
I hope you have a light on your flag when flying it at night. Doing otherwise is improper flag etiquette, and may be considered a distress signal, though fewer and fewer people today seem to realize that.
Old September 16, 2021, 04:40 PM   #30
mehavey

Quote:
....and may be considered a distress signal.
pretty accurate these days....
Old September 16, 2021, 07:45 PM   #31
eflyguy

I'm not even originally from the US, and had to point out to my neighbor that they had the flag hanging against their fence "backwards" (stars top-right)..

I hate it when people wear shirts printed that way. Clueless..
Old September 17, 2021, 03:29 PM   #32
Pathfinder45

There seems to be a lot more improper flag etiquette these days than ever.... I respect those who display the flag appropriately. Otherwise it would be better to not display it than to dishonor it by misappropriation.
Old September 17, 2021, 06:09 PM   #33
Ricklin

I did not

I did not fly mine until such time I could get an LED spotlight, with an eye to know when it is dark.
Yes, far too many people do not know that, and it's very primary.

I do need to get mine back up.
Old September 17, 2021, 09:15 PM   #34
tlm225

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I hope you have a light on your flag when flying it at night. Doing otherwise is improper flag etiquette, and may be considered a distress signal, though fewer and fewer people today seem to realize that.
Yes I do. Always have and always will. In addition I'm set up for email alerts for half staff notifications.
Old September 18, 2021, 12:47 AM   #35
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Criminals, unless they are professionals or members of an organized crime ring, look for targets of opportunity and for minimum resistance. They are predators.
Predators turn tail at the slightest chance of injury.
This reminds me of the fabricated nonsense that mass shooters will surrender or kill themselves when confronted with armed resistance...only a bunch of them fight it out and shoot or kill more people, including law enforcement officers.

Pigeon-holing criminals like that is how people manage to significantly underestimate risk factors.
Old September 18, 2021, 01:22 AM   #36
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
Asa disabled Vietnam Veteran I proudly fly a flag of the USA in my front yard currently itis at half mast due to the biden murder of the 13 US Marines and Corpsman at Kabul.

There are 5 consecutive houses and/or businesses on my side of the road who fly the flag.

If there is an attempted robbery in the neighborhood, I would forewarn the perverts that many of my neighbors are veterans/retired Marines or just gun owners. Very many of us have some sort of practice range set up in our back yards........and we still keep in practice as can be note by the frequent gun fire.

i will always fly my flag, the Flag of the United States of America, and am still prepared to defend her.
And Bravo to all of them! And as tlm posted we need to stop the fear of supporting Our Flag,our Anthem our Troops, Police, Firefighters and EMT's. Heck, is was not long ago we could not even mention BLM.
It is time all Americans to stand tall, and be proud.
As far as break in's? I spent my entire career in the Electronic Alarm industry from the ground floor up. No I do not recall burglary or intrusion simply cause of flying the US Flag. However I retired and so cannot say what is happening now. But nothing surprises me now from these Anti-Americans. Some parts of the Country worst than others.
I fly the US Flag and I almost feel sorry for the SOB that wants to take it down or worse enter into my home because of it.
Old September 18, 2021, 01:23 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
Pigeon-holing criminals like that is how people manage to significantly underestimate risk factors.
By the same token it's also possible to overestimate what people will do steal your x-box or plasma TV. Few common thugs are likely to hit your house with a full-on panzer blitz if they think it's not going to be an easy in-and-out. If it's well-organized gang/cartel thing that's a different story, you're simply living in the wrong part of town and they are going to be hitting everyone they can, regardless of your perceived affiliations. If firearms are involved that almost always raises the bar to felony and jail time.
Old September 18, 2021, 04:08 AM   #38
Geezerbiker

I don't fly the flag mostly because I haven't gotten round to putting up a pole. I have a flag sticker on the back window of my truck on one side and on the other a sticker with the picture of an AR15 and the words "Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God."

I wouldn't park my truck in Portland but since my daughter moved out of that hell hole, I have no reason to go there anymore. Polk county Oregon isn't as bad as the Portland tri-county area... However, if I felt I had a move left in me, I'd be packing my bags for Wyoming...

Tony
Old September 18, 2021, 08:20 AM   #39
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany
If there is an attempted robbery in the neighborhood, I would forewarn the perverts that many of my neighbors are veterans/retired Marines or just gun owners.
How would you go about forewarning them? Do you post signs at intersections leading into your neighborhood?
Jeepaholic
Old September 18, 2021, 08:53 AM   #40
Lima Oscar 7

Build a serious fence around your back perimeter. Get a couple of Dobermans, Pit Bulls or Rottweilers and put three to five 30’-0” flags in the yard.
Old September 18, 2021, 11:46 AM   #41
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Get a couple of Dobermans, Pit Bulls or Rottweilers
If you have a genuine love for those kinds of dogs, and will properly feed, house, care for and train them, then go ahead.

Don't get them just because you want big scary powerful dogs for an alarm or defense system. Big dogs are a big responsibility.
Old September 18, 2021, 12:19 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
If you have a genuine love for those kinds of dogs, and will properly feed, house, care for and train them, then go ahead.

Don't get them just because you want big scary powerful dogs for an alarm or defense system. Big dogs are a big responsibility.
Excellent points--too many people use them as "poor man's alarm system." My Belgian Malinois requires constant attention and training to keep disciplined. Dogs like these are like carrying around a loaded gun--better make sure you control when they fire.
Old September 18, 2021, 12:23 PM   #43
Geezerbiker

I don't know if it helped but I have a sign in one of my back windows that reads "nothing in this house is worth your life." I have a new sign for the back door that reads "If you're found here at night, you will be found here in the morning."

Tony
Old September 18, 2021, 01:00 PM   #44
gaseousclay

Quote:
I fly the US Flag and I almost feel sorry for the SOB that wants to take it down or worse enter into my home because of it.
That's a slippery slope imo. Entering your home is one thing, but using potential lethal force against someone for wanting to take your flag down is another. I don't want to misrepresent your statement but to me, it's not worth going to prison over and it certainly isn't worth losing your life over either, hypothetically speaking of course. Nowadays the anti-gun nutjobs are just waiting for another incident to push for anti-2a legislation.
Old September 18, 2021, 01:41 PM   #45
44 AMP
Staff

Your flag, though a symbol that many of us have deep feelings about, is legally just property. The laws about use of deadly force for crimes against property are clear, and there is no exception for flags.

Generally speaking you're not justified using deadly force to protect property. There may be specific exceptions in some places, I don't know about.

However, if the low-life trying to tear down your flag directly threatens YOU or someone else, then another set of laws applies. Because then, its no longer about the flag...

Be sure you understand the difference. It's a big one, and the last thing you want is our legal system teaching you the difference with fines, jail time and loss of your rights.
Old September 18, 2021, 02:28 PM   #46
Carl the Floor Walker

Yep, I know the laws.As heads is tails. We are witnessing more each day of what a farce they are. I really ponder sometimes what will actually be the law if any exist at the end of the next three years. Maybe just rules. Like rule 303.
What is happening in our society today reminds me so of the song from the Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil" Appears Keith Richards was pretty good into prophecy.

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole million man's soul an faith

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
Stuck around St. Petersburg
When I saw it was a time for a change
Killed Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game, oh yeah, get down, baby

Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 18, 2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old September 18, 2021, 04:43 PM   #47
Mainah

Quote:
I don't know if it helped but I have a sign in one of my back windows that reads "nothing in this house is worth your life." I have a new sign for the back door that reads "If you're found here at night, you will be found here in the morning."
I don't put that much faith criminal literacy. But I do put a great deal of faith in what lawyers could do with that.
Old September 18, 2021, 08:00 PM   #48
kenny53

I don't put up signs that insinuate a threat of any kind. Just in case (God forbid) something happens and I use deadly force
I don't want some lawyer saying "look you just wanted an excuse to kill). I do have a flag in the front yard but no stickers on my truck.
Old September 18, 2021, 09:20 PM   #49
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainah View Post
I don't put that much faith criminal literacy. But I do put a great deal of faith in what lawyers could do with that.
If I was worried about what lawyers would say, I would take the signs down.

Tony
Old September 19, 2021, 06:49 AM   #50
Carl the Floor Walker

Has anyone just taken a moment to believe that we are even having this conversation? The idea that our American society actually has to be fearful of citizens flying the Sacred Red White and Blue. I posted a while back about my new hat that featured the America Flag and a Blue line and posters warned me to be careful.
I live in Virginia. I took a walk down Monument Ave in the historic district after the BLM riots. The despicable carnage of destruction was unbelievable. And you can bet your life, none of the residents would dare fly a AMERICAN FLAG.
AND OF COURSE THEY WANT TO DISARM THE GOOD PROUD AMERICAN AND DO AWAY WITH THE POLICE.

I retired from the alarm industry and yes, would say that home protection is needed now more than anytime in the US. And owing a firearm is necessary to defend your home, your family and yourself. Not just in the home. But just about any where you go and getting worse. To these low life's YOU are the enemy.

Here is ONE of the many Flags found in Conservative neighborhoods that were taken and destroyed after July 4th and this one left in one of our streets.

*Note Read the line about the ARMY. Nothing sacred to these low life's.

Yes, I wear the hat all the time now. Do not care if some low life does not like it.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 19, 2021 at 06:58 AM.