The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2021, 09:16 AM   #1
alanwk

Lee dies question

I am reloading 40S&W using Lee's 4 die set.
Can (or should) I seat the bullet and crimp with the seating die and then crimp again with the Factory Crimp die? Also how would I just seat the bullet (no crimp) with seating die and then crimp with FCD? Thanks.
Old September 3, 2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You don't normally need two crimp dies, nor to crimp twice. If you have a separate crimp die, normal practice is to back the body of the seating die out a turn above where it makes case mouth contact, and then just adust to achieve correct seating depth while leaving the case mouth alone. If you need a no-crimp cartridge, such as you have with a cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth, the way those are done is by gently adjusting the crimp die until it just removes the expander flare and it leaves the sides of the case straight.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 5, 2021, 06:55 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

No, you should not crimp 2 times.

You can Crimp with the seating die, and not use the FCD at all

you can Seat only with the seating die, then crimp with the FCD

You can also crimp with the seating die, and then use the FCD with the crimp all the way up so it does not crimp, as a body sizer to make sure your rounds chamber ok.

For me with a progressive press I have found that using the FCD helps a LOT to get round to pass a chamber gauge.

I highly recommend you get a ECW chamber gauge. they are on the tight side, but I check all my 9mm on it. Using the FCD, 99.9% of my ammo passes the first time around.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; September 5, 2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old September 5, 2021, 08:36 PM   #4
cavediver27

By all means use the Lee Factory Crimp Die and don’t taper crimp with the bullet seating die. The carbide factory crimp die will guarantee that every round will chamber properly. I use them for all my pistol loading.
Old September 5, 2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I also use the Lee FCD for all pistol rounds.

The problem with seating and crimping with the same die is that you have to thread the needle -- the seating and the crimp have to be perfectly coordinated. Using the third die only as a seating die, you never have to worry about crimping too soon, before the bullet is seated. Then use the FCD to apply the crimp.
Jeepaholic
Old September 6, 2021, 04:57 PM   #6
RC20

Agreed 199% with the above.

As noted by Unclenick just enough crimp on 9mm etc to remove the flare and be sure its a taper crimp die not a roll crimp (might be all you get in 9mm head space type)
Old September 10, 2021, 08:12 AM   #7
Average Joe

Seat the bullet and crimp in separate steps as mentioned above.
Old September 13, 2021, 12:13 AM   #8
5whiskey

Quote:
The problem with seating and crimping with the same die is that you have to thread the needle -- the seating and the crimp have to be perfectly coordinated. Using the third die only as a seating die, you never have to worry about crimping too soon, before the bullet is seated. Then use the FCD to apply the crimp.
While I do not use a Lee FCD Die for any pistol rounds, I 100% agree with this statement. I successfully thread the needle with my seating die also crimping. That being said, it’s easier to do with jacketed bullets and not cast lead. Also agree with everyone, no ,after what you do crimp just once.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946