The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 19, 2021, 10:16 AM   #51
Pahoo

(F&F) Faith and Freedom.

Our home is on a side-street, to the main road is about a quarter of a mile. Yesterday, I counted 11- "Old Glories", that fly 24-7. From my house, I can count four. Physically and verbally, no one messes with them. No one I know, has gotten WOKE, only light symptoms. ......

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 20, 2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old September 20, 2021, 02:18 PM   #52
TailGator

I bought a house with a flagpole, and took it down soon after I moved in. A neighbor asked why, with a little bit of belligerence or offense to his tone. I told him that flags had to be taken down in the dark or in foul weather, and that I wasn't going to be home every time I needed to be to show proper respect for the flag. I preferred not to fly it rather than to fly it in a disrespectful manner. The neighbor is a friend now.
Old September 20, 2021, 02:37 PM   #53
Pahoo

You call ???!!!

Quote:
I told him that flags had to be taken down in the dark or in foul weather,
Well it's your house but it doesn't have to be taken down after dark or any other time. When you fly at night, it should be illuminated. We flew ours 24-7, off the coast of Florida.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 20, 2021, 04:57 PM   #54
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I bought a house with a flagpole, and took it down soon after I moved in. A neighbor asked why, with a little bit of belligerence or offense to his tone. I told him that flags had to be taken down in the dark or in foul weather, and that I wasn't going to be home every time I needed to be to show proper respect for the flag. I preferred not to fly it rather than to fly it in a disrespectful manner. The neighbor is a friend now.
LOL, you take down the flag, leave the pole for when you are around to fly the flag.
Old September 20, 2021, 05:36 PM   #55
eflyguy

.. except, that now becomes a nice indicator of when you're not home.

So much for 00-spy, eh?
Old September 20, 2021, 07:24 PM   #56
Thomas Clarke

Pahoo,

The authority here is from the VA. This is about as official as it should be. The flag rules and respect are dear to many of us. Please follow the rules. 24/7 flying is inappropriate.
Flying it in nasty weather and at night is inappropriate. Of course, if you want to do your own thing, have at it. But I believe you are incorrect and disrespectful to our flag. The read is short and the pictures are helpful.

http://https://www.va.gov/opa/public...lagdisplay.pdf
Old September 20, 2021, 08:30 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Authority for how and when to display the American flag is set forth in federal law under Title 4, U.S. Code, Chapter 1.

https://www.legion.org/flag/code

Quote:
§ 6. Time and occasions for display

(a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

(b) The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

(c) The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.

(d) The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on New Year's Day, January 1; Inauguration Day, January 20; Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday, the third Monday in January; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; National Vietnam War Veterans Day, March 29, Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Father's Day, third Sunday in June; Independence Day, July 4; National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

(e) The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.

(f) The flag should be displayed in or near every polling place on election days.

(g) The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2021, 10:30 AM   #58
Pahoo

Deleted

Last edited by Pahoo; September 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old September 21, 2021, 10:38 AM   #59
Pahoo

Hand-Salute !!!

Blanca
Thank you for the reference as it has been a long tie since I first read the requirements. I also recall a requirement on placement of the flag on solid structures/building. Sadly/Lately, too many folks don't care. .....

Quote:
(a) It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flag staffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.
Be Free and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 21, 2021, 11:11 AM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I only reproduced one section. The Flag Code also addresses how to display when hung on the face of a building (the star field should be at the flag's upper right when facing out toward the street), when it's on a pole projecting out from a building, and when it's suspended over a street.

24-hour display is optional, not standard and, when the flag is displayed 24 hours a day, it is then supposed to be "properly" illuminated. Illumination of a flag on a pole may well run afoul of zoning or other laws or regulations regarding light pollution, so I would not criticize someone for not wanting to get involved in the nuances of flying a flag 24/7.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2021, 11:21 AM   #61
Pathfinder45

And then we often see the Flag mounted on vehicles, especially pick-up trucks, often with, "other", flags, etc. this usually looks like a misappropriation of the Flag, to me..... Are there any regulations or guidelines concerning flags on automobiles and trucks?
Old September 21, 2021, 11:31 AM   #62
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It's all in the link I provided. Section 7(b):

Quote:
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2021, 11:37 AM   #63
Pathfinder45

Thanks for that reference.