The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2022, 10:47 PM   #26
HiBC

I don't know that its what the OP is looking for,but seems like RIA came out with a beefed up 1911 pattern double stack 10 mm.
I've never seen one. IMO,the Philipine guns are decent,good value guns.
I've tended to replace critical small parts with top quality .

And I'd look real close at what magazines can be used .

I like the 1911.

But I think a lot of "creative optimization" can be bypassed by just buying a Glock or S+W M+P

Something to consider: If the heavy cast bullet loads are part of the plan,and if the current Glocks have polygonal rifling ......That combination is not recommended. A Lone Wolf replacement barrel will solve the problem.

Last edited by HiBC; December 9, 2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old December 10, 2022, 01:20 AM   #27
stinkeypete

In terms of "value", I would recommend a semi-custom 1911 pattern from a master pistolsmith near where you live.
Wilson Combat makes a nice looking 10mm off the rack. The "hunter." But in my state, the crimson trace laser in the grip would make it illegal as a hunting pistol. I'm sure they can swap that out, heck.. they can make it exactly whatever you want.

Maybe people can't see how a $4,500 pistol can be a good value. I know guys that blow that much money on playing golf. In 20 years, I bet $4,500 will look like when you could buy Single Sixes for $49.
Old December 10, 2022, 08:17 AM   #28
ligonierbill

In 20 years, I'll be dead, or at least too decrepit to shoot a pistol. But I do appreciate the input. I have a Glock 23 and M&P 9, and both are fine for their purpose. For this one, I will go with a single stack 1911-style gun, and you guys have talked me into a long slide version. That limits the field.

Unfortunately, decrepitude occurs in inanimate objects too, and I could have bought a pretty nice pistol with what that new gas furnace cost me this week. But looking and comparing is free. I'll let y'all know when I buy one.
Old December 10, 2022, 08:29 AM   #29
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I will go with a single stack 1911-style gun, and you guys have talked me into a long slide version. That limits the field.
As mentioned previously, the dan wesson bruin is an outstanding 10mm longslide 1911.
A good friend has one and I have shot it extensively. Its well worth the $2000 price tag.
Old December 10, 2022, 12:07 PM   #30
wild cat mccane

10mm isnt as open to increases by barrel length as people repeat.

Luckygunner did some testing on it. Well worth the read.

Also, their 9mm test gun was a 3.5" m&p while the 10mm was a g20. Just a lot of myth out there on 10mm doing something 9mm, 40, and 45 cannot. Thanks to drag, all the handgun caliber fmj fall within the same distances.

Most euro ammo is fps on the box tested fom a 6" too.

Dont feel you have to go 6". I like long barrels. But they arent more fun in a vacuum.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; December 10, 2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old December 10, 2022, 01:58 PM   #31
stagpanther

I have two pistols and a carbine in 10mm (more if you count 9 x 25 dillon). I reload my ammo.

I don't pay any attention at all to the 10mm can't do this or is no better than that stuff.
Old December 11, 2022, 10:48 AM   #32
Pistoler0

I want to put a word in for the EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness Compact in 10mm, if you like DA SA.
I have the 45 ACP version and it is an outstanding pistol.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1570965
Old December 11, 2022, 08:45 PM   #33
VTRich

I have several 10mm's and love the round. Since money isn't a concern, I think the semi-custom 1911 is a great option. I have a Nighthawk Custom GRP in 10mm and it's a fantastic gun. I also have a Les Baer Stinger in 10mm, which is a CCO sized 1911. Baer also makes a 5" gun, and 6" Longslide 1911 in 10mm. You can often find a used semi-custom at a pretty good discount, and they are usually low round/safe queens. It seems to be a buyers market right now as well. Check out the classifieds at the 1911addicts forum for some good deals. For non 1911 type gun, I have a Sig P220 Legion SAO that is a pleasure to shoot as well.
Old December 13, 2022, 10:56 AM   #34
wild cat mccane

I am sure VTRich isn't wrong on the Sig suggestion. My non Legion but Elite P226 9mm has not flaws for a trigger. Shortest reset I've felt on any gun and I'm a Walther trigger snob.
Old December 13, 2022, 11:54 AM   #35
ligonierbill

I do have a Sig 226, but it is in another hated caliber, 357 Sig. Yes, I like it. That Dan Wesson Bruin looks pretty good, and it's cheaper than a new furnace.
Old December 13, 2022, 03:03 PM   #36
MarkCO

I have a Razorback, and while it is one of the original of the limited run of 150, the RZ10 is still a great choice. If I wanted to add another 10mm 1911, probably would look at the Springfield Operator or Ronin.

My RZ10 is kept company by a S&W 610, G20SF and 2 16" DI AR pattern carbines.
Old December 13, 2022, 03:17 PM   #37
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I have a Razorback, and while it is one of the original of the limited run of 150, the RZ10 is still a great choice. If I wanted to add another 10mm 1911, probably would look at the Springfield Operator or Ronin.

My RZ10 is kept company by a S&W 610, G20SF and 2 16" DI AR pattern carbines.

In terms of recoil, and I know this is a bit subjective, how do you find something like the Razorback versus a Glock 20SF?
Old December 13, 2022, 06:11 PM   #38
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
In terms of recoil, and I know this is a bit subjective, how do you find something like the Razorback versus a Glock 20SF?
The RZ10 has a little less than the 20SF, to me of course. Neither are harsh. My KelTec PF9 kicks more than either.
Old December 14, 2022, 07:53 AM   #39
Wag

Pistols I want but don't need:

Sig 1911 in 10mm. Saw one in a store several years ago and wanted it in the worst way but didn't have the cash. I've regretted it since. I should have whipped out the old plastic and grabbed it while it was in front of me. I still keep my eyes peeled for another one.

Glock 35 Long Slide. Just to complete the set. The 35 is .40 S&W and will complete the set with the 34 and the 41 that I have in 9mm and 45 auto.

DE in 50/44. Keeping my eyes peeled for one of these, too. Waste of money. Required that I reload (I do). But I want it, nonetheless. Preferably the Isreali made version.

And others, ad infinitum!

--Wag--
Old December 14, 2022, 08:38 AM   #40
stagpanther

There are 2 kinds of 10mm IMO, really, there is the 10mm "for the masses" which is generally in the range of power of a warmer 40 S&W--and then there are the hotter "original Bren 10 spec" 10 mm's which are more powerful; and not surprisingly hit harder in recoil (which is what brought about the 40 S&W in the first place). Strictly just my opinion--but that is the most important criteria IMO when choosing your 10mm pistol. For the really hot 10mm loads--which again extract a price in felt recoil--choose a pistol that can handle the firing and cycling of that kind of cartridge. I'd look for one that has the best ramp support to chamber and full case head support--the case head is what's going to blow when getting up there in max charges if not well-supported.