The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2022, 12:26 PM   #1
bladesmith 1

nite birds

My club is now offering night shooting under black lites. One of my shooters bought a bunch of black lites and set then up in our 5-stand. ALL other lights need to be out, like overhead parking lights. The orange or green birds seem to glow in the dark and explode when hit. I think it's going to go over big in another week when day light saving kicks in. So I can now say Black Lites Matter.
Old October 29, 2022, 01:14 PM   #2
robs9

I've never seen that. Would be cool to see some pictures or videos.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Last edited by robs9; October 29, 2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 29, 2022, 01:57 PM   #3
FITASC

So how many and what size/wattage? When I shot under the lights we were using either mercury or sodium for a bright white light; made it fun when it was snowing too.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 31, 2022, 08:53 AM   #4
bladesmith 1

I'm not sure of the wattage - not very high. Mitch, my friend, bought them from e-bay or amazon. There are a number of them on one 15amp circuit. I think he bought eight total. We were thinking two would be nice on a skeet field. We have two skeet, four trap, and one 5-stand, all under lights. On Tuesdays we shoot till 9PM, so there's a bunch of night shooting. But Friday we do the black lights on 5-stand. Another local club run by Pat Lietzke charges $30 and you have to sign up a week ahead of time to shoot. We'll only be charging $10 for non members. One of our problems is we have to quit shooting by 9 PM from a law suit 30 years ago. If it gets too popular we may have to do it on Saturday night also. I think there's at least one video on u tube showing it. It's called "glowing clays." Our new truck load of clays will be here Nov 14th and I ordered 6 pallets of green birds. We should be all set.
Old November 30, 2022, 10:12 AM   #5
bladesmith 1

They are 150 watt lights and came with a cord and fixture. Amazon sells them, two for 130$. So far we've been booked solid, 5:30 till 9, every Friday night. I believe if you punch in Cosmic Clays, Pats web site will come up and you can see it.
Old November 30, 2022, 04:42 PM   #6
stuckinthe60s

should be fun in the summer time! id be interested in seeing what it attracts!
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old November 30, 2022, 06:23 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

I've shot white clays at night under lights but glow in the dark clays sounds awesome!
Old December 12, 2022, 03:09 PM   #8
bladesmith 1

We have to quit shooting by 9 PM from a old law suit, so summer birds are out. The time change gave us shooting from 5:30 to 9.