The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 22, 2019, 01:24 PM   #26
CDW4ME

My wife's sister is anti-gun and lives in a state where our permits are invalid.
Last get together with them they met us in a neighboring state and we split the rent on a vacation house for a few days.
I avoided discussions of guns & politics, so did they, we all know we disagree.
They know we are never going to their home because our permits are invalid there and we aint going unarmed.

I wouldn't worry about whether they knew I was carrying, its up to them whether to ignore it or make a thing of it.
Getting together with people who expect to dictate my actions, no thanks.
Old June 22, 2019, 03:19 PM   #27
Mainah

I was in Asheville recently, get ready to be overwhelmed by the smells of clove cigarettes, weed, and pachouli oil. Beautiful area, and the town itself felt pretty safe despite a high homeless population. It seemed like the Austin of NC to me. I stayed in a nice Hampton Inn that was a couple of miles outside of downtown, there was no security at all.

Good advice here. Their house, their rules. I'd respect that and avoid gun talk if possible. That area has some decent mountain driving for the east coast, and it'll be hot. Make sure your vehicle can handle that.
Old June 22, 2019, 06:32 PM   #28
Chettt

Just leave the gun locked in your trunk while in ashville. You probably lived many years without carrying.
Old June 22, 2019, 08:20 PM   #29
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chettt View Post
Just leave the gun locked in your trunk while in ashville. You probably lived many years without carrying.
and why bother with your seatbelt after all this time too?
Old June 22, 2019, 08:38 PM   #30
MoArk Willy

My choice would be a belly band or shoulder holster. I understand that clothing would be a consideration for the shoulder holster. I don't have anyone who is anti-carry in my family. I usually pocket carry a Bodyguard. I have carried it in a Fannie pack, a belly band, an ankle holster and OWB and IWB.
You can't have too many holsters.
But if this is too much of an issue you can always lock it in the trunk in a vault.
It's nice to see that you are trying to accommodate your relatives.
I suppose you could waste time during your visit telling them how wrong they are and why but that's counter productive.
I'm glad you aren't making this a "rights" issue. My house my rules is how I determine who's rights are more important.
Wait until you are leaving and remind them that you respected their wishes.
Old June 22, 2019, 10:17 PM   #31
osbornk

I must be really old school or something. When I am with family or friends, the subject of guns almost never comes up. I don't know whether most are pro or anti gun. I choose whether I am going to carry or not and it's nobody's business. I never bring up guns and if someone else does, I normally keep quiet. To me, concealed carry is a personal thing and I want to keep it personal.
Old June 22, 2019, 11:11 PM   #32
AreYaSerious

LCP would be the easiest to carry.

The 856 is a good carry gun but with the 6 round cylinder makes it a little fat to pocket carry, I have a Taurus 85 (5 shot version of the 856) and any bigger or thicker it wouldn't be pocket carry worthy. The stock Taurus grips are very chunky.
Old June 23, 2019, 12:37 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

What to carry when visiting anti-gun relatives?

Sounds to me like you're just looking to poke the bear, and want some agreement on what is best to poke the bear, with!
(or least likely to be spotted and poke the bear?? Either way, same answer)

That being the case, I have no suggestion, other than "why do it???"
Old June 23, 2019, 11:52 PM   #34
Leaf

Then again statistically speaking the place you may most need a firearm for self defense is going to be among family/extended family, lol.
Old June 24, 2019, 09:02 AM   #35
FITASC

Quote:
It seemed like the Austin of NC to me
And getting more like the San Francisco of NC every day.
Old June 24, 2019, 09:35 AM   #36
Fishbed77

Regardless of what you choose to do, enjoy Asheville. It's a beautiful city surrounded by beautiful country.

If you must carry - carry discreetly and avoid family strife. There's no point in poking the bear, and you don't benefit others that conceal carry by doing so.

But since you are in Asheville, you should be checking out some of the awesome breweries (Catawba, Green Man, Hi-Wire, Highland, and Sierra Nevada are some of the best), where you can't carry by law anyway.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 24, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old June 25, 2019, 10:01 AM   #37
briandg

I would ordinarily say to ignore his feelings and carry a ten gauge coach gun. Then I considered the fact that my in laws wouldn't smoke in my car. Then I thought that smoking in my car isn't the same thing as dying in a gas station because I was too considerate of their unreasonable expectations. I eventually came to the conclusion that deep cover was a fair compromise. No matter what you choose, if it remains hidden under almost any circumstances, you've done your part for family harmony. If a person flaunts the thing he's being a jerk. If a person sees a concealed weapon and raises a fuss about it, that person is being a jerk. You are doing something legal that simply doesn't involve them in any way. if you lit up a joint in that person's presence, violating laws and moral issues, and hence putting them at risk for legal problems at well, you would be the jerk.

No matter how much they object they have no right to demand that you endanger your own safety. You have a responsibility to accept their concerns. You must balance them.

my thoughts? Don't take the gun into their home. Respect that. Take a super concealable weapon as well as your other carry weapon. Carry this in your luggage at the hotel room and never reveal it to your brother. When you check in, the hotel will probably have a safety deposit locker that you can use. Dual keyed, just like a bank box. Ask ahead. It's none of their business what you put in there, so don't let them see that it is a pistol. Or just bury it deep in your luggage in the room.

I can't make your decisions. I don't know everything. good luck and I hope that it all happens without anyone throwing a fit.
Old June 26, 2019, 06:56 AM   #38
agtman

Quote:
I don't visit people who are anti freedom.
Unless you want to antagonize them by exercising that which you're free to do under the law.

Supposedly these people are 'family,' and of course every family has 'that guy' who enjoys doing or saying things that make the rest go nutso.

Could be sorta fun, actually.
Old June 26, 2019, 02:14 PM   #39
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't visit people who are anti freedom.
We get to choose our friends, but not our family.
Old June 26, 2019, 07:45 PM   #40
Pathfinder45

If anyone feels that they absolutely must be armed at all times without exception, then that person must also accept the limitations such a position imposes. I think having a secure lock- box bolted down in the trunk could be a viable compromise for those situations where personally carry is out of the question.
Myself, I am rarely armed as I possibly live in a safer part of the country than some folks.
Anybody here have a shower-gun in case trouble comes while you are bathing?

Last edited by Pathfinder45; June 26, 2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Smiley
Old June 26, 2019, 11:12 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Myself, I am rarely armed as I possibly live in a safer part of the country than some folks.
Do you think it's as safe as this neighborhood?

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/73/75/32/.../1024x1024.jpg

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...photo-15718023
Old June 27, 2019, 01:44 AM   #42
Pathfinder45

I don't know know. There is probably no such thing as safe.....only the illusion of safety until something happens that shatters the notion of it. But there are places that are relatively dangerous versus places where the probabilities are less likely to produce encounters with characters of I'll intentions. But life is full of risks. Swimming can be rewarding or fatal. It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid? Should you if you could? What compromises are worth making? Each person must decide for themself. As the deterioration of polite society becomes more prevalent, I could see myself feeling the need to be armed as a regular thing. Right now, I'm not really feeling it. Everyone's situation has its own risks, so what works for one, may not work for another.
Old June 27, 2019, 01:28 PM   #43
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid?.
I can't take a gun into the courthouse; I have to go there like once every 4 years to renew drivers license.

Can't legally carry in the post office: Get stamps at Wal-Mart, have packages picked up at home, going into post office doesn't have to happen very often.

Airplane: Last time I was on a plane was around 1986, I have no intention of getting on one again.
Cruise: Same as airplane.

By driving on trips and vacationing in states where my permit is valid, it turns out that I can be armed the vast majority of the time and I am.
Been married since 1990 and I chose wisely because my wife agrees on travel.
How about location (good vs bad place), daylight or not, anticipated threat, ... Nope, Nope, Nope, ... just carry.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:12 PM   #44
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
I don't know know. There is probably no such thing as safe.....only the illusion of safety until something happens that shatters the notion of it. But there are places that are relatively dangerous versus places where the probabilities are less likely to produce encounters with characters of I'll intentions. But life is full of risks. Swimming can be rewarding or fatal. It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid? Should you if you could? What compromises are worth making? Each person must decide for themself. As the deterioration of polite society becomes more prevalent, I could see myself feeling the need to be armed as a regular thing. Right now, I'm not really feeling it. Everyone's situation has its own risks, so what works for one, may not work for another.
Cabot Cove is the only place I know of that doesn't have burglars, thieves, or drug dealers. of course with the right motivation you could be murdered once a week.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:17 PM   #45
Mainah

Quote:
Cabot Cove is the only place I know of that doesn't have burglars, thieves, or drug dealers. of course with the right motivation you could be murdered once a week.
Maine isn't that interesting, trust me. But we've got plenty of drug dealers.
Old June 27, 2019, 07:25 PM   #46
Obambulate

Carry a knife. Problem solved.
Old June 29, 2019, 11:45 AM   #47
the possum

What are you going to do if a situation arises where you genuinely need to pull/use your gun? I mean, that's the whole reason you're carrying it, right? Will your family disown you for saving your (or their) life?
Old June 29, 2019, 03:16 PM   #48
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What are you going to do if a situation arises where you genuinely need to pull/use your gun?
1. Play the odds. The odds say that you probably won't need it.

2. Keep your options open. In the (admittedly unlikely) event that the gun is required in the presence of the relatives, having the gun gives the option of responding (and taking the consequences--of which there are always some even if it's not from angry relatives) or not responding and trying to resolve it without weapons.

IMO, having the option is a better situation than not having it. You can always choose not to exercise it.

By the way, while it's not pleasant to consider, the statistics say that we are actually in more danger of being murdered by relatives or acquaintances than by strangers. Just saying...
Old June 29, 2019, 05:40 PM   #49
FITASC

Quote:
Airplane: Last time I was on a plane was around 1986, I have no intention of getting on one again.
Cruise: Same as airplane.

By driving on trips and vacationing in states where my permit is valid, it turns out that I can be armed the vast majority of the time and I am.
Seems a shame to avoid about half the states and all of the rest of the countries in the world over something like this
Old June 29, 2019, 08:18 PM   #50
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Between my home state and a couple of non-resident permits, I'm good for (IIRC) 32 states. That pretty well covers anywhere I might want to visit, except Washington state. But the friend I would be visiting there is a retired cop, so I'm sure he'll be armed and have plenty of firepower if the balloon goes up.

Where I can't go I have no desire to go: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersy, Maryland, Illinois, California. Too bad about South Carolina, but it wasn't really on my bucket list.