The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 22, 2020, 05:43 AM   #76
shurshot

You got me, I didn't read your entire post. My bad.
Old January 22, 2020, 05:48 AM   #77
Hal

Quote:
Your facial scan is already in data bases somewhere. With the proliferation of security cameras we are all in a system somewhere. It would just be a matter of centralizing the data.
100% true - Clearview Ai has been building an impressive database for some time now.

Quote:
The sheer volume of false alarm trips would quickly overwhelm Police and Security, given how many prohibited persons are in the USA and engage in shopping.
Nope - not really. The day will come ( and probably a lot quicker than many think) that the chipped person's activity would simply trigger an event that was recorded and indexed as the basis for a search warrant to be issued & also serve as evidence that the chipped person acted in violation of the terms of parole.

If John Doe - chip # 111100011100 (or whatever) entered a prohibited zone, the GPS tracker would just fire a trigger and the database would have an entry for that event.

Say he goes to Dicks to buy swim fins. The trigger would fire & his location in Dicks could be tracked by security camera. If he entered into the gun area, that would fire another trigger that would record his actions in that area.
If he approaches the ammunition counter and buys a box of shells - bingo!
He's done.

Bear in mind, I come from an IT background & I was an Enterprise Database Administrator.
This is all possible and not some daydream. This can be done & it can be done now & all the parts are already in place to do it.

The same technology that allows me to track where I go on my bicycle (via cell phone app), can also track John Doe's implant chip.

As far as the complexity of recording activity in the form of video in a database.....
Since the introduction of 64 bit databases, it's been possible to store an hour of video - - in one table of a 64 bit database.
One table - one table....let that sink in for a second....

Last edited by Hal; January 22, 2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old January 22, 2020, 09:58 AM   #78
shurshot

"One table - one table....let that sink in for a second...."

I would prefer to watch Jerimiah Johnson again. I hate computers! .
Old January 22, 2020, 10:57 AM   #79
Hal

Quote:
I hate computers!
LOL! You only hate them because you don't fully understand them.

I hate them because I do understand them ...

(The late Stephen Hawking - issued several warnings against artificial intelligence. While not a computer person per se, he did understand the way they worked)
Old January 23, 2020, 10:24 AM   #80
TRX

> Small point of history, Germany WAS a democracy, and the Nazi were voted into power. After they were ELECTED
---
Not exactly: The Weimar Republic was a "Parliamentary Democracy." The NSDAP suborned the due process of the not-all-that-functional system and took over the government at the top level; they only had a low-thirty-percentage of the parliamentary seats, but there were some dirty deals struck with President Hindenburg and his cronies that gave the NSDAP power far beyond its representation. Then they used their power to shut down the Republic government and ruled in its stead.

cf Shirer, "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"

On to microchips, even assuming the Fed manages to come up with some kind of un-hackable, un-copyable chip (and I have a nice bridge for sale...), anything a surgeon can put in, another surgeon can remove. Since by definition the chip would be your identity, swapping chips would make you someone else. There was a movie called "Gattaca" that addressed a similar concept... what's a clean identity worth?
Old January 23, 2020, 10:23 PM   #81
44 AMP
Staff

Not to take this too far afield, and not doubting Shirer, who was there, I mentioned that Germany's Weimar Republic was a "democracy" in the same general sense that the USA is a "democracy" and yes there were significant differences.

The 30% or so of Nazis in the Reichstag were elected and did give them a significant power block. Not a controlling one, until after Hitler took over the Chancellorship and then combined it with the Presidency after Von Hindenbergs death, becoming "Der Fuhrer".

The bas point here is that a democracy (no matter the specific details) is always at risk of one group taking sole power, through (technically) legal means, at first.

The US system with its checks and balances makes that difficult but not entirely impossible.
Old January 24, 2020, 08:22 PM   #82
dfwkid

They're not looking for John Doe but a wanted felon or some person of interest. I seriously doubt they would go to the trouble of putting 6 billion or more faces in such a gargantuan database. But chipping a felon is feasible and only a matter of time. Face to face gun deals are a problem unless one carries a scanner. No perfect solution.
Old January 24, 2020, 10:52 PM   #83
shurshot

Dfwkid, the Government already is putting Faces in databases, by the millions, in China and the UK. But believe what you will. Slippery slope with AI and Government Agencies.