The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2001, 09:53 AM   #1
neal bloom

.357 reloads

Just got my new 38 Special/357 Magnum dies in. I have a lot of Accurate No. 2 powder and was considering using it for .357 reloads. These loads will be used at the range. Has anyone reloaded .357 with Accurate No. 2? Should I use a standard small pistol primer or a magnum primer? Should .357's be crimped?

Also, has anyone reloaded Remington Golden Sabres in .357? What would be the ideal weight for a Golden Sabre bullet? I reload them for 9mm and really like them.

Sorry for all the questions but since I started reloading it has become an addiction.
Old October 25, 2001, 12:03 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

I have no experience with that powder.....but....

Crimp counts, a lot. To get consistant crimp you want your cases to be trimmed to same length.....any length as long as they are the same. Even new brass could use a little evening up. That way, when you find the crimp that works for your guns and your load; they will be all alike.

Sam
Old October 25, 2001, 01:13 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Not to say it can't be done, BUT - - -

- - - if data for this powder is not shown in loading manual,

PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

If you are new to the loading game, please use all due care, and it is a very good idea to stick with what is published by reputable sources.

I have to admit a total ignorance of Accurate No. 2 powder, Neal. I'm at the office, without any reference material, and, for all I know, No. 2 might be some powder suitable only for large-capacity rifle cartridges. (I doubt that, but just trying to make a point.)

For the price of a couple of boxes of factory ammo, you can get one, or perhaps two, handloading manuals which will keep you out of difficulty and make your handloading experience safer and more enjoyable. Please take advantage of the accumulated knowledge of years of experimentation and lab work. I'd suggest getting at least two, to guard against tha rare instances of misprints. Seldom will two manuals match EXACTLY, but they should be in the same ball park.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question specifically, but hope this has been of some aid.

Best,
Johnny
Old October 25, 2001, 02:41 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Zip for anything re A#2 - a loading manual will tell you what type primer to use. Most don't require a magnum, some work better with one.

I've loaded quite a bit of Golden Sabers for .357 - nice bullet & my preferred SD bullet for a coupla handguns. I use the 125 gr GS. 125's kinda the one stop shopper for .357 at decent velocities.

125gr GS in .38 cal is offered in 2X offerings - .38 & .357 due to differences in perceived loaded velocities.

Even if crimp wasn't needed for proper bullet retention under pressure build-up, you'd stil need to to prevent the bullets from getting pulled out of the brass under reoil. In a six-shooter, essentially what you're doping is hitting each bullet with an inertial bullet puller - the last round gets hit 5 times. If not enough crimp, the bullet can (& has) backed out of the brass enough to lock your cylinder right up.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/357.html

AA#2 Improved is sorta like Bullseye or Clays. Find a .38 or .38+p load for the same bullet. Using a near max load for the .38 as a good start-middle load for .357. I do this as there is more case capacity for the .357, so you need to increase the powder bulk a bit. The pressure tolerance of a .357 is so much higher that this should create a decent load. I've used this procedure to create loads with Clays, Bullseye, and several other fast powders. BTW, use a small pistol primer. With the relatively light charge and bulk size of #2, you won't need a magnum primer.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:56 PM   #6
E. BeauBeaux

I use A#2 in 38spl, sm pistol primer's and 4.5 gr powder 125 gr semi jacketed hollowpoint. Good plinking/practice round. Seem's a little on the dirty side to me.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:59 PM   #7
ehklei19

Yes, you can use AA#2. I have used #2, #5, #7 and #9 in a variety of calibers (.357 sig and mag, 44spl and mag and 10mm) and they always seem to produce good loads. Just remember to start at the bottom of the range (about 5 or 6% under the maximum) for the load you desire and work your way up. #2 is a pretty fast powder! AA prints a pretty good powder manual and you can get loads from their web site www.accuratearms.com.
Old October 25, 2001, 03:38 PM   #8
claypigeon

Neal,
I would not load a 357 mag with AA#2.That is a very fast burning handgun (pistol) powder,and has a low loading density associated with it.(another words it does not fill the 357 mag case very full) I believe the chances of double or even triple loading with this powder could be a real possibility. I would use a true magnum powder to reload any magnum case ( a powder associated with a high loading density.),so that if you accidently double load the powder it will overflow the case and you can start over.I take it that you use a single stage press?
It sounds like you may be new to reloading?I agree with Johny Quest go out and buy a few reloading manuels,take thier expertice to heart especially about safety in reloading!
I dont mean to frighten you away from reloading but It's a potentially dangerous hobby if you are aloof,careless or distracted . It on the other hand can be very rewarding,addictive and financially less restrictive (so you can go out and buy more guns!!!).
I have loaded tens of thousands of handgun rounds shotshell rounds and rifle rounds. I HAVE HAD ONLY 1 FAILURE AND THAT WAS CATASTROPHIC. I would share the details but that is a different forum topic. Neal,e-mail me through TFL if you want to hear details, your question about reloading with AA#2 struck close to home.
Old October 25, 2001, 06:59 PM   #9
Patrick Graham

#2 is a good 38 powder but it's a bit fast for 357 mag.
Old October 26, 2001, 05:42 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

ACCURATE EXPERIENCE

Suggest, while you CAN use AA2, trying Hodgdon Universal Clays for mid-level loads, or TiteGroup for light loads.
Heavies = W296, H110, AA9, 2400, N110...........
Old October 26, 2001, 02:32 PM   #11
neal bloom

I really appreciate all the advice. Went back and reread manuals, stopped by my dealer (who reloads professionally) and asked a lot of questions, and read again. Going to keep the Accurate #2 for 9mm but will do more research on powders for the .357.

Strange science this reloading business. I am glad I asked the experts here for advice. If I error I want to error on the side of safety. Once again, thanks.
Old October 26, 2001, 08:10 PM   #12
JerryM

I use a lot of AA2 in my J-Frame .357s. I am not wanting heavy loads or I would use a slower powder.
I have used Unique and some slow powders, but in moderate loads they did not burn sufficiently to prevent unburned granules getting under the star and tying up the gun in time.
I like to use 125 grain bulets at around 1000 - 1200 fps, which is the range of the Speer 125 gr GD.
Here are some loads I have used. Use at your own risk, but they are below the handbook maximums in my manuals. I copied and paste from Excel so I hope they come out in a format that you can read. I don't know how to use Excel.
125 Sierra JHP AA 2 6.0 WSPM Starlline 957

125 Rem JHP AA 2 5.9 CCI STD Starline 917
125 Rem JHP AA 2 5.9 WSPM Starline 951
125 " " " 6.5 CCI Win 1020 Vel Hi- 1025 Lo - 1014
125 " " " 6.7 CCI Mix 984
" " " " 7.0 " Speer 1066
" " " " 7.5 " Fed 1099
125 Sierra JHP AA 5 9.0 Win Starline 973
" " " " 9.7 " " 1027

125 Rem SJHP WW231 7.7 CCI Win 1061
125 Rem SJHP WW231 7.9 CCI Win 1077
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:09 PM   #13
Dogjaw

I'd use a powder more suitable for 357 mag. I suggest Win. 296 over the likes of 231 (too fast). You'll get 350 more fps with less pressure. Use a magnum primer with a heavy bullet crimp (high bullet pull). Head the warning about not reducing powder charges for 296. Here's the web site where you can down load Winchester's reloader manual 15.
http://www.winchester.com/ammunition...components.eye