The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2017, 05:07 PM   #26
PlatinumCore16

I had already decided on getting a full size 9mm since all I have is my 9mm PT709, and I am going with the M&P9 M2.0 in FDE. It has the 5" barrel, though none of the performance adjustments of the "pro" model. It fits really well in my hand and I like the trigger from all the ones I've felt up in the shops. Just waiting until my LGS actually gets one in stock. Will report back when it does.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:26 PM   #27
otasan

Glock17 9mmP

I use my Glock17 pistol for all IDPA shooting with great success.
Old April 28, 2017, 08:23 AM   #28
gglass

Quote:
OhioGuy - Is this competition Walther really anything more than the standard long PPQ with the option to add an optic? The lightning cuts look mainly cosmetic and the trigger on the PPQ is close to best-in-class as it is.

I suppose one could add a ported aftermarket barrel since the slide is already cut for it.
You are correct that the differences between the PPQ m2 5" and the PPQ Q5, comes down to the optics mount and a "slightly" modified trigger.

I did exactly as you described by having my PPQ m2's barrel quadra-ported by Mag-na-port to match the slide cuts, and I even had the slide cut further by having a lightening cut put into the spline of the slide. I do love my PPQ m2, and really did not see a need for the Q5 when it was released since I do not use handgun optics.

Quadra-ports visible, and quite dirty.

Last edited by gglass; April 28, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:32 PM   #29
fire4606

I have the 5" and the Q5 match, I dont find the Q5 trigger to be any better, but then my 5" has well over 10k rounds through it so that may have improved it some.

The Q5 needs the extra cuts i believe for the extra weight of the optic and the heavy mounting plate, thenplate seems significantly heavier than the plates on my 34MOS.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:41 PM   #30
Areoflyer09

My LGS has a Q5 in stock currently. I agree that the trigger doesn't feel particularly smoother or better than my 4" PPQ or the 4" PPQ they had in stock as well. The optic readiness would be the driving decision on this one.

I do like the way the Q5 looks in person though with the blue trigger and the ported slide. It's quite a sharp looking pistol.
Old April 30, 2017, 12:47 PM   #31
fire4606

Went with a Deltapoint on mine